• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

I had a great day snowboarding today at Crotched Mountain.  The trails that were open were well covered and well groomed.  All of the trails were covered in a nice 3" helping of that crunchy popcorn stuff you get sometimes around this time of year.  The popcorn-snow made the trails fast and playful.

The visibility in the afternoon was unreal.  I didn't get a good photo but around 3pm the sun started hitting the rolling hills of NH just right, giving each hilltop a sharp outline all the way to the horizon.

The mountain reported 2" of snow from the friday night system.  The only open trails of course are snowmaking trails.  There was lots of grass visible on the closed trails.  I imagine they will be greatly expanding the terrain in over the course of the next week.

love skiing Crotched it's a hidden gem for SNE must be sweet after a good dumping. I heard a mom and her daughter fell off a lift.at Ctorched. They were 50'.  Any word on how that happened? 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attitash today. Good first tracks @830. After that ok. Not a huge fan of the mtn or the way they make snow (or the lack there of) at least my card is good @ Wildcat as well. Also skied bear peak , whoever designed the trail (on west side of bear peak /far right) may have been a Moron. Its like a five min walk/ cc ski across flat terrain to get back on quad. It does connect to attitash but (connecting trail is closed) . Was def nice to ski thou!

100% open at Wachusett

Yup same with the B'east.  10" with a light crust.   Aggressive skiing paid off in untracked, speed kept you floating and carving. Once tracked up a bit it was great, soft underfoot.  ZR -> needles -> partly sunny.  Great day for December in Charlemont, in years past you'd be lucky to get that kind of skiing in Jan.

The family hit WaWa for a couple of hours. We got within 5 minutes of the hill when I realized I forgot to pack daughters skis. So back home to get them

Still got in a bunch of runs with basically no lines. Most were on the greens for her but my son and I hit the summit a few times. Snow was so nice. Powdered sugar consistency. Much better than Sunday

I am out of shape though. Legs tired after 2 hours is not good

Well there's no doubt your hill is better for snow, but there's just something about Berkshire East... Really love that place warts and all.

Cheap. No crowds. Good variety. Glades for you psychos. Decent steeps. I love the old school New England trails off to the far left side

Need a better parking lot and the lifts are weird.

Skied Wawa yesterday under great conditions 100% open on 12/15. Unheard of. They must be off to their best start of the season in recent memory. Solid base with the guns going non-stop for the good part of two weeks. 

The icing on the trees above 1600' or so looked cool. Interesting that happened at that altitude. No ice at my house at all.

Solid base with the guns going non-stop for the good part of two weeks.

Perhaps the snow planners at wawa should share their secrets with attitash, who seem cheap as hell wrt making snow. I mean they started season a FEW weeks after loon, yet claim there latitude and elevation as a reason they waited. YET wawa was making it and opened weeks before them, by some wx miracle. Cheap. Now i would think they would have had snow guns blazing all last week and this week (thru thurs) so they could accommodate the ski vacation crowds. Perhaps they will just pack them all on the double that goes to the summit at 3 mph. Hopefully they step it up and open like ten trails this week.

Yesterday was pretty sweet, but man was it busy.  These hyped up snowstorms really bring *everyone* out and the powder rush is something else...mountain got hammered but business was good, haha.  Picked up 7-9" from the synoptic portion of the event yesterday...

1513324_10151754466537382_1372968001_n.j

1524600_10151754465487382_1386007080_n.j

1509760_10151754465897382_2102605661_n.j

1520813_10151754465827382_216758912_n.jp

Then today was the opposite of the rush from yesterday... NW flow on the backside came through and deposited another few inches of fluff overnight bringing the storm total up to 12" at 3,000ft. 

This was all skied out yesterday, and then Mother Nature hit the refresh button.  And while the snow boards only showed 1" new at the base and 3" new at 3,000ft...many argued today that the overnight snowfall was a little more substantial than that.

1526307_10151756179952382_803055493_n.jp

1524833_10151756179957382_830136214_n.jp

The views today were awesome, too.  Just an awesome all around day, even though it was below zero, with no wind its not that bad.

1476160_10151755414202382_2111220003_n.j

Yesterday was pretty sweet, but man was it busy.  These hyped up snowstorms really bring *everyone* out and the powder rush is something else...mountain got hammered but business was good, haha.  Picked up 7-9" from the synoptic portion of the event yesterday...

Watching things transpire on Saturday night into Sunday while doing the family thing away from the mountains, I wasn't all that concerned with missing out- the first big powder rush was on.    

I like the more mellow, under-the-radar nickel-dime patterns with a few  1-3" and 2-4" events, followed by a 6-8" overnight midweek.  That's the good stuff- you're skiing knee deep pow and the mountain feels quiet because it is quiet.

Perhaps the snow planners at wawa should share their secrets with attitash, who seem cheap as hell wrt making snow. I mean they started season a FEW weeks after loon, yet claim there latitude and elevation as a reason they waited. YET wawa was making it and opened weeks before them, by some wx miracle. Cheap. Now i would think they would have had snow guns blazing all last week and this week (thru thurs) so they could accommodate the ski vacation crowds. Perhaps they will just pack them all on the double that goes to the summit at 3 mph. Hopefully they step it up and open like ten trails this week.

I hate attitash. My jaw dropped when I read their write up on why they would not be snowmaking, or plan on opening until mid December.

It's actually embarrassing. They should be challenging everybody with regards to opening. They don't make much snow your right, I can vouch for that.

Not sure what's up with that operation, I'm kind of stuck their though since we have a place around there.

Absolutely love that area though, considering moving up that way after college

Archived