joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still can't get over how good the skiing has been.  True mid-winter stuff and by far the most terrain I've ever seen the mountain have open on the Thanksgiving weekend.  A pretty special month with lots of pow...and we never really got a true synoptic snowstorm if you really think about it.  Almost all of it was orographically induced.

1422471_10151723454762382_1247428920_n.j

1460157_10151723455302382_1010786243_n.j

1452546_10151723454532382_355301470_n.jp

1463725_10151723455402382_1086460254_n.j

1450834_10151723455112382_2142544591_n.j

1476088_10151723455037382_1635620331_n.j

I skied at Wachusett yesterday with my son for our first day of the 2013-2014 ski season. Conditions overall where fair to good considering the meltdown and re-freeze from last wednesday-thursday. We did the afternoon ticket, skiing from 12:00pm - 3:15pm and I was suprised by the lack of crowds as all lifts where ski on throughout the afternoon.

Snowmaking was on all afternoon on Ralph's run and Chanllenger, despite the temperature being right around 32F. Intensive snowmaking was also ongoing to get Look Mom up and running until around 1:30pm and that trail will probably open soon.

Challenger:

Challenger_zps2de0a02c.jpg

Snowmaking on Look Mom:

LookMom1_zps8443d30e.jpg

LookMom2_zps714ec58e.jpg

I did a one a done run down Connifer Connection which was hardpacked and icy in alot of areas and not fun to ski IMO.

The Monadnock chair had the best ski conditions on Sundowner with some small snowmaking whales still left to ski over.

Nice pics of Wa Wa

Just leaving randolph vt (college) now and as i look in the distance (SW/SSW) i see Killington (bout 40 miles) and i can see the snow covered trails, visibility is surprisingly clear and usually is (maybe some one can check mileage) bc im impress'd i can always make out some trails from this far away when im up here. I thought sugar bush was equi-distance but havent had much luck seeing it.

Shameless plug...only because Stowe never used to be able to compete in the snowmaking race with Killington and Sunday River, but in the past 2 seasons it seems like the 7 million dollar upgrades to snowmaking are paying off (think twice as many guns can be making snow as they could in 2010-2011 winter).  If they can combine Mansfield's natural snow with one of the better snowmaking operations, the result could be pretty cool.

Resort...Trails...Miles Open

Stowe...48...18

Okemo...44...17

Killington...39...17

Sunday River...29...11

Mount Snow...16...11

I had a great day snowboarding today at Crotched Mountain.  The trails that were open were well covered and well groomed.  All of the trails were covered in a nice 3" helping of that crunchy popcorn stuff you get sometimes around this time of year.  The popcorn-snow made the trails fast and playful.

The visibility in the afternoon was unreal.  I didn't get a good photo but around 3pm the sun started hitting the rolling hills of NH just right, giving each hilltop a sharp outline all the way to the horizon.

The mountain reported 2" of snow from the friday night system.  The only open trails of course are snowmaking trails.  There was lots of grass visible on the closed trails.  I imagine they will be greatly expanding the terrain in over the course of the next week.

I had a great day snowboarding today at Crotched Mountain.  The trails that were open were well covered and well groomed.  All of the trails were covered in a nice 3" helping of that crunchy popcorn stuff you get sometimes around this time of year.  The popcorn-snow made the trails fast and playful.

The visibility in the afternoon was unreal.  I didn't get a good photo but around 3pm the sun started hitting the rolling hills of NH just right, giving each hilltop a sharp outline all the way to the horizon.

The mountain reported 2" of snow from the friday night system.  The only open trails of course are snowmaking trails.  There was lots of grass visible on the closed trails.  I imagine they will be greatly expanding the terrain in over the course of the next week.

Nice.  I like that place, not a bad little hill.  Also like the fact that they are the only resort in a good snow spot... Monadnocks... and in that respect they have the potential to jackpot in a given storm which makes them a legit option at times.

Berkshire East opens Saturday.  Looking forward to a good season hopefully.  They've improved their snowmaking a lot the past 2 years so they'll be able to take advantage of the incoming cold weather.  Should make for a solid opening day.

hey, this looks cool...found it forums.alpinezone.com

AlpineZone Summit 5.0 Returns to Sugarloaf Mountain February 7 – 9th, 2014

This year’s Summit will begin on Friday night with a welcome party, hosted by AlpineZone administrators in the penthouse suite of the Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel. The party will feature free drinks, a hot tub, and complimentary hors d’oeuvres provided by Sugarloaf.

Saturday will be spent skiing and riding on Sugarloaf’s legendary terrain, before an end of the day AlpineZone Apres Party in the Widowmaker Loft, where members will enjoy complimentary appetizers and sign up for first-tracks on Sunday morning. The Apres Party will also feature the annual AlpineZone Awards, recognizing many of the forum’s most active members.

For complete details regarding registration, member package deals, and event itineraries, please visit http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/124758-AlpineZone-Summit-5-0-at-Sugarloaf-Mountain-February-7-9-2014

Ski & Stay Packages

These are some killer packages. Two nights lodging, two days of skiing, welcome party, après party, and First Tracks starting at $138 per person for the weekend!

Guests should call 800-THE-LOAF and ask for the AlpineZone Summit Rate.

Condominiums - $138 per person (based on maximum occupancy)
Sugarloaf Inn - $175 per person (based on double occupancy)
Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel - $255 per person (based on double occupancy and includes breakfast)

All packages include:

• 2 nights lodging
  • Saturday and Sunday lift ticket
  • Access to the AZ Summit 3.0 Perks

o Friday Penthouse Party
o Saturday Apres Party
o Sunday First Tracks (first 75 people at the Saturday Apres Party)

• Condo & Inn guests get the use of the Sports and Fitness Center
  • Hotel guests receive a breakfast with their package and use of the hotel spa facility
  •  

Skied Okemo today for the first time and I totally get why people call it Slowkemo, other than quantum leap over at Jackson Gore there's nothing that even resembles a sustained pitch. Nothing but rolling pitches and any low end intermediate can hit every trail there.

Skied Okemo today for the first time and I totally get why people call it Slowkemo, other than quantum leap over at Jackson Gore there's nothing that even resembles a sustained pitch. Nothing but rolling pitches and any low end intermediate can hit every trail there.

That's why it's a hit with families though. On my list this year but reminds me of bretton woods in that description

Check out 3dskimaps.com

Okemo is flat.

Okemo is good for when there's a snow drought or thaw/freeze when the steeper and natural terrain at other areas is in bad shape.

They make a bunch of snow, and it's easier to churn up the surface on the flats.

When it's good snow, forget it, head to Magic

Archived