• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Thanks for the info guys/gals. Promising signs so far. We'll see how November plays out and the forecasts for mid December as we head forward. Could be Killington in December, out west in February. Probably have that ass backwards, but we'll see.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The system was charged last night for a test but temp never got below 37F in the base area (wet bulb of 33-35) and was around 28-30F at the very summit. It was extremely marginal at best, with only a few hundred verts on the top of Mansfield that would've been able to support snowmaking.

Here's the base area weather station showing a low of 37F. It was 30F in town this morning with a sharp inversion and rising temps above 1200ft.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVTSTOWE3

That area Killington is making snow on must be very marginal and at 3000ft or higher.

The system was charged last night for a test but temp never got below 37F in the base area (wet bulb of 33-35) and was around 28-30F at the very summit. It was extremely marginal at best, with only a few hundred verts on the top of Mansfield that would've been able to support snowmaking.

Here's the base area weather station showing a low of 37F. It was 30F in town this morning with a sharp inversion and rising temps above 1200ft.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVTSTOWE3

That area Killington is making snow on must be very marginal and at 3000ft or higher.

I've seen them open up the North Ridge Chair 1st and that is from 3400-4000' up.

Yahoo, I expect guns to get purged all throughout New England in the next few days. Great to be back here posting ITT. Got me some new boards this season HEAD REV80 Pro's can't wait to use them, Itching all over.

I demoed the Rev 90 in Snowbird couple of years back and loved it, all skis in that range have a pretty tight sidecut yet are still pretty good in junkie snow.

Its tough to let go of old boots.  I find boots a lot harder to part with than any other ski equipment. 

I need new skis every season (after 130-150 days on skis they are like wet noodles) but thats similar to like someone who skis 30 days a season for 5 years...not surprising my main pair barely lasts the season.  But boots I will keep for even 3-4 years...usually replacing the soles every year from the daily wear/tear of wearing them 6 days a week at work.  I hate getting new boots...love getting new skis though, lol.   

I still use my 2000 Salomon boots. Absolutely love them comfort wise and flex wise and don't want to part with them even though they're getting ragged and rancid. 

I still use my 2000 Salomon boots. Absolutely love them comfort wise and flex wise and don't want to part with them even though they're getting ragged and rancid. 

Sadly, I only ski a few days a season. The cost is outrageous, particularly since I've taught my kids to love skiing, so there's no way I can go and not take them with me. In 1986, I got a really nice pair of Salomon boots. They were $350 or so at the time. They are rear entry, and quickly make me look like a fool on the hill. Thankfully I don't care. A few years ago, I ditched my K2 Slalom 88's (204's no less) for some modern Rossi's. So at least there's that. I love skiing, my boots still work, and they are comfortable.When I started skiing, my mom still had lace up leather boots, so it's a bit of a tradition.  However, if someone knows where I can pick up some decent boots for a good price, I may just let go of the past. 

fellas,

me and a couple of my buddies are looking to take a trip up to Vermont/NH area for a 4 day/3 night trip. NOthing is finalized as far as duration and location. That's where you guys come in. ANyone have any recommendations as far as good skii'ing, decent bar/hotel type scene? upper 20's crowd type stuff. Was hoping to plan something around early december, think that window is feasible as far as ski season goes? Any input is greatly appreciated.  

Consider early March instead of early December if you are thinking about coming to Stowe.  The conditions will be 10,000,000,000 times better and St. Patrick's day is pretty fun in Stowe.

Snowmaking and wet bulbs:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xT6M1OnEpg

I really liked how that video came out.  I remember when the Meatheads crew came to our daily Snow Plan meeting to film that (you can see the back of my head in a few shots, lol) and I remember there was one interview with Reeves that was shot in like April during an upslope blizzard last year in that period of winter-that-wouldn't-end. 

The overnight time-lapse at 3:25 in is awesome.

What did you do here? I have a place in Brooklyn now,..Bay Ridge is an awesome area.

Just visiting with my girlfriend.... part of the deal is we get out VT and go do something she wants before I get locked into 6-months straight at the ski resort, haha.  We just did the usual touristy stuff... walking around, Central Park, the Zoo, Top of the Rock, Times Square, Battery Park, etc.   We stayed over between Park Ave and 3rd Ave.  It was nice for a change of pace but there's no way I could ever live there.  Its just not for me.

Archived