• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

That's where I taught my twin daughters to ski also.  I bet I have a whole bunch of stuff that you need, skis/boots, etc that no longer fit.  I never bought girly stuff for them so color won't be an issue.  PM me about it some time.

The one thing the place does have going for it is what a good learning area it is so you should be good to go.  Their snowmaking?  Well umm, it's there.  In conjunction with the high quality grooming the surface is at least white (most of the time when it's not grey.)

yeah, that's mainly what we're after for this first time.  My wife had some delusions that we'd all be swishing around the slopes after one lesson....the kids learn quick, but not that quick.  I'll PM you on the other item, thx.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great day at Stowe. A little snow and even some breaks of sun for a while. Conditions were really good prior to noon... Got a little icy by after lunch. The best conditions were on some of the steeps near the Fourrunner quad.

Skied basically nonstop from 845-345. I'm beat!

What a great day at Stowe. A little snow and even some breaks of sun for a while. Conditions were really good prior to noon... Got a little icy by after lunch. The best conditions were on some of the steeps near the Fourrunner quad.

awesome!  That's a hike for a day trip unless you're staying up there for the weekend

Sweet. Yeah this morning's runs were really good, IMO. Best surface of the week this morning. Unfortunately, as has been the case, as soon as the surface comes back to semi-decent conditions, we get hit with another rainer. I thought this afternoon's runs were definitely getting a bit icy on the main routes (I took a few more runs around 2pm) but there was plenty of snow to push around. Trail of the day for me was Liftline under the FourRunner Quad, which has been great since the snowmaking earlier in the week.

If after reading the forecast on the snow report still makes you want to ski, this was also posted on Facebook to give folks a heads up:

"An amazing day on the hill today. Tomorrow could be a challenge. The forecast is wet weather and wind - potentially big wind. Best bet is to call the snow phone starting at 6am for the latest info."

We close the shades for a day, haha.

Sweet.  Yeah this morning's runs were really good, IMO.  Best surface of the week this morning.  Unfortunately, as has been the case, as soon as the surface comes back to semi-decent conditions, we get hit with another rainer.  I thought this afternoon's runs were definitely getting a bit icy on the main routes (I took a few more runs around 2pm) but there was plenty of snow to push around.  Trail of the day for me was Liftline under the FourRunner Quad, which has been great since the snowmaking earlier in the week.

If after reading the forecast on the snow report still makes you want to ski, this was also posted on Facebook to give folks a heads up: 

"An amazing day on the hill today. Tomorrow could be a challenge. The forecast is wet weather and wind - potentially big wind. Best bet is to call the snow phone starting at 6am for the latest info."

We close the shades for a day, haha.

Totally agree about Liftline... was great even by early afternoon. Some other trail over there... Hay something was really good as well. Under the gondola where they were making snow was sweet as well in the morning.

Spruce was a disaster with kids and ice. Awful... one run over there after lunch and back to the Fourrunner. 

As for tomorrow... both the 18z GFS and NAM dry things out nicely 12z-18z. That would be nice though I imagine the southerly flow will be a problem for some of the lifts. 925 mb winds 30-40 knots. I imagined the southerly flow channels up the valley and is problematic lol. 

sweat, tomorrow should be awesome

Totally agree about Liftline... was great even by early afternoon. Some other trail over there... Hay something was really good as well. Under the gondola where they were making snow was sweet as well in the morning.

Spruce was a disaster with kids and ice. Awful... one run over there after lunch and back to the Fourrunner.

As for tomorrow... both the 18z GFS and NAM dry things out nicely 12z-18z. That would be nice though I imagine the southerly flow will be a problem for some of the lifts. 925 mb winds 30-40 knots. I imagined the southerly flow channels up the valley and is problematic lol.

It's funny you mention that because I went to Spruce to take some photos of the collegiate ski races and had the same impression you did. I thought it was very icy...more so than anything at Mansfield. My parents are up skiing and I called them to tell 'em to stay at Mansfield. I have no idea why it would be that different between the two, but I only ski at Spruce a handful of times per season, lol.

Southerly flow usually isn't too bad on Mansfield. The FourRunner is a horse and since the new lift two seasons ago with much heavier chairs, it rarely goes on hold. Often it's just a reduced speed. South wind will hit the downhill cabins on the Gondola but what I see sometimes is that the east side pocket (between the Quad and Gondi) gets protected with cold air damming and an inversion near the ridge...can sometimes save the Gondola from high winds. Spruce gets it hard though (which faces south and gets full open exposure to that low level jet).

Either way, if it can dry out to a drizzle or something, I'll be banging out the laps because I enjoy the soft snow (almost like spring skiing)...hero snow but I enjoy the workout on the legs too.

sucks that the rain is going to kill the base...but I feel like you guys up there will have a great second half like the Colts.

I just cant decide where I want to go in late feb. wont make concrete plans yet......wife isnt much of a skiier. So I would need a spot where she can still do something during the day while I cruise......and no, not Killington.

any recommendations?

sucks that the rain is going to kill the base...but I feel like you guys up there will have a great second half like the Colts.

I just cant decide where I want to go in late feb. wont make concrete plans yet......wife isnt much of a skiier. So I would need a spot where she can still do something during the day while I cruise......and no, not Killington.

any recommendations?

It's not enough rain or warm enough to kill the base, it's just another hit.  Some of the less deep snow making/natural trails may go down the drain but like they said the rain and warmth may soften the ice.

Plus there shouldn't be many people on the slopes given the weather, good weekend to ski.

It's not enough rain or warm enough to kill the base, it's just another hit.  Some of the less deep snow making/natural trails may go down the drain but like they said the rain and warmth may soften the ice.

Plus there shouldn't be many people on the slopes given the weather, good weekend to ski.

tru...it will soften the base for a bit, then you will come along and ice it right back up.

any recommendations?

Stratton has cruising and shopping and restaurants all in walking distance from hotel.

If she likes ice skating and water slides you can go to Jay.

MRG's post today:

While the latest forecasts are a bit sketchy to say the least it would appear that we might be seeing a glimmer of light at the end of our proverbial weather tunnel.  It seems as though that this tunnel has been about as long as Andy Dufresne's tunnel to freedom in the Shawshank Redemeption. You know that one that he "crawled through a river of $h!* and came out clean on the other side". Hopefully we will emerge from this latest stretch of weather smelling like a rose too. The latest weather forecasts from the Single Chair Weather Blog isn't pretty in the short term but he says; "In spite of what will happen over the next 4-5 days I like how the back end of January looks." Lets really hope that Josh Fox is right this time so we can enjoy the balance of the winter as much as Andy and Red enjoyed their lives in Zihuatanejo.  We certainly hope to re-open the main mountain just as soon as we possibly can. We know the current state of affairs is a bummer but please don't lose heart MRG skiers. Rest assured it will snow again, we will have powder days and we'll all be ripping up our legendary terrain soon enough. Thanks for your patience and, now more than ever, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....THINK SNOW!!!

any recommendations?

N conway . Outlets go to cranmore crapitash or wildcat.

Dependin what the wife likes , stowe has alot of little artsy touristy stores and crap, or get her a day pass to the Von trapp lodge/pool/spa

Stratton has lil area of a bunch of shops/stores and resteraunt/bar at base 2

Skied from 10-1 today. Made about 10 top-to-bottom runs. Snow was pretty nice around the Fourrunner. Definitely softened nicely. Rain was in and out though it was dry for about an hour.

The best part was the weather geek aspect. The inversion was very sharp near the top of the lift. Instantly came out of the clouds and had a 10F temp jump within about 20 or 30 feet is say. Dead calm underneath the inversion in the clouds with southerlies gusting over 30 above the inversion. Really neat. Skiing down you could instantly feel the drop back... Almost like standing in front of a freezer door that's opened.

Another thing I noticed is that the inversion acted as a strong duct. Could hear all the announcements on the PA system from the race going on at Spruce. That was pretty cool.

No line... Very few people. Great day and now I'm drying out and getting ready to go to the bar :)

Wow

275 annual inches and mt Shasta is closed. Take a look at that powder freak

They where closed in January of 2012 as well due to low snow and warm temps. Sierra ski conditions have not been all that great over the last 3 years.

Things could get ugly really quick with a severe drought in California if they do not get a snowpack for water this summer and the time clock for that to happen is rapidly ticking away.

LOL at all the whining about skiing. I just watched a crap load of you tube videos uploaded about yesterdays skiing from almost all the major resorts in NE,  looked fine to me. So the glades were not opened, after today"s rain should be a great day tomorrow of softies.

Sunday looks cloudy with scattered snowshowers and temps near freezing across VT, NH and Maine. I'm not so sure about soft snow conditions. Monday looks much better IMO.

Skied from 10-1 today. Made about 10 top-to-bottom runs. Snow was pretty nice around the Fourrunner. Definitely softened nicely. Rain was in and out though it was dry for about an hour.

The best part was the weather geek aspect. The inversion was very sharp near the top of the lift. Instantly came out of the clouds and had a 10F temp jump within about 20 or 30 feet is say. Dead calm underneath the inversion in the clouds with southerlies gusting over 30 above the inversion. Really neat. Skiing down you could instantly feel the drop back... Almost like standing in front of a freezer door that's opened.

Another thing I noticed is that the inversion acted as a strong duct. Could hear all the announcements on the PA system from the race going on at Spruce. That was pretty cool.

No line... Very few people. Great day and now I'm drying out and getting ready to go to the bar :)

ASOUT

its all about perspective. I have seen these kinds of years even in NNE. Look at Mt Shasta. Geez you are not getting face shots every day, bummer, no this is what a bummer looks like.

Ironically they had a horrific winter in '76-'77....like a permanent ridge over them, lol while it was historically freezing in the east.

They'll prob get like 7 feet in 1 week in Februayr or something...sometimes out there, it goes from a disaster to amazing in a couple days. But so far this year, they are def having an ugly season. And its not going to get better any time soon with the big +PNA ridge...just dryness.

Archived