• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Mount Snow was spectacular today. Plenty of powder stashes to be found across the mountain... some of it knee deep. The upper mountain got really windy by afternoon but even so the turns were nice and smooth. 

Lift lines sucked, however. Looks like they had mechanical problems for the summit high speed quad and they didn't get the other quad up and running until like 11 am. North Face and Sunbrook lifts were crawling (and to be honest, I'm surprised they weren't on wind hold with how gusty it was).

Funniest moment of the day was watching 2 little kids in ski school literally picked up and knocked over by the wind at the summit. The reaction from both was, "wow, that was so cool". 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magic was, well, "magic" today. Trail report claimed 20" which based on the powder to your knees everywhere seemed accurate. Mood snow fell all day long. They had the triple chair running so the lift line never got more than a few minutes. The untracked powder was a little heavy but other than that the day was epic.

As CTRain has already said, a day for the ages at Mount Snow yesterday.  The best $25 I can remember spending.

Best part was that the deep snow had significant density and did a great job of covering virtually all obstacles in the trees.  It was so nice to be able to feel confident charging through untracked areas.

Heading to Sugarbush to ski Mon-Wed.  Looks like they got about 2 feet with several lighter snow chances over the next few days.  Hard to imaging better timing (short of starting today).

Yesterday, via social media, the VT State Police issued a statement warning of possible avalanches in the Green Mountain backcountry from this previous storm.   Well, lo and behold, today, there were numerous reports of avalanches in Smugglers Notch (some running a few hundred feet in the rockslide gullies).

post-352-0-89408400-1392502607.png

I've read various reports of numerous avalanches, even in the forests of Vermont today from people out doing ski touring.  These ones are usually a little less dangerous than in the steeper rock slides, but can still pose a problem for folks as these accelerate quickly and can flush you into trees.  It happens really fast. 

Here are photos of one such slide a friend set off today in this area of the northern Greens.

1623748_10101809454415710_171770107_n.jp

1662627_10101809467539410_721272565_n.jp

This last one was a slide that occurred in Smugglers Notch and ran roughly 150 feet with debris pile around 4-5 feet deep (deep enough to bury).  This is at the top of one of the rockslide chutes and the photo doesn't do the pitch justice.  This is at the top of the chute, which probably runs like 750 vertical feet to the road below.

1795549_10203018301803078_951692218_n.jp

I posted this in other threads, but I took this on top of Bolton yesterday, just before they had to close the Vista Quad do to these conditions on the summit. The skiing just below was excellent though, as was the powder! I think it was worth it.

WaWa sold out today

The entire east coast ski industry is absolutely winning it this holiday weekend. Today was cold and windy up north here with wind chills -20 to -30 and we still crushed it. Good snow makes a big difference...weather like this on MLK weekend in January during the biggest punt of a month we've seen in a long time (in terms of snowfall), would've yielded like half these people because of wind and cold. But people will pay and come out regardless right now because the conditions are so awesome.

The entire east coast ski industry is absolutely winning it this holiday weekend. Today was cold and windy up north here with wind chills -20 to -30 and we still crushed it. Good snow makes a big difference...weather like this on MLK weekend in January during the biggest punt of a month we've seen in a long time (in terms of snowfall), would've yielded like half these people because of wind and cold. But people will pay and come out regardless right now because the conditions are so awesome.

Great news.  Perfect timing too.  Berkshire East was packed today, nice to see them and everybody else making some money.

Just want to throw this out there. Anyone looking for a great beginner mountain, I highly recommend Campton Mountain. Word is starting to get out that it's an excellent deal and the conditions are excellent right now. $12 will get you a lift ticket (rope tow and double chair).They do groom the main trails (there are really only 3 runs and a few connecting trails) but they don't have snow making nor rentals (there are rental shops on Rt. 49 in Campton)

There is a lodge that serves food and beverege. Last Sunday I skied with the family (4) and we had lunch and I walked away for less damage than one adult lift ticket at Waterville Valley.

It's about 100 minutes from 128 area, 90 minutes from Lowell, 60 from Manchester. Exit 28 off 93.

Area skied: Greek Peak, New York

Date skied: February 15th, 2014 10:00am - 3:00pm.

Surface conditions: packed powder, powder.

Weather: light snow, 28F.

My son and I skied at Greek Peak this past saturday for the first time. The original plan was to ski at Elk, but I wanted to ski some glades with all the new snow and Greek Peak looked to offer more challenging terrain.

I have never skied in Central New York State and Greek Peak is mostly a highway drive from my sister. The weather during the drive up varied from light to heavy snow and took about 2 1/2 hours.

We arrived to light snow falling with about 1" of new snow OTG. I bought lift tickets in the main lodge complex, but we started our day on the Mars Hill Lift, as we could park within 500' of the triple chair and ski to/from our car.

Our first run was down Poseidon to Platonic and the Vision Xpress New Quad. Snow on both runs was silky smoth packed powder with no scratchy areas at all. Off the Vision Xpress Quad we skied Karyatis Way, East Meadows and Platonic, again with excellent soft packed powder.

We skied off the #1 Double Chair and took a run down Elysian Fields which had moguls and a few slick spots as well as Olympian which is a natural snow double black diamond run that had nice soft moguls and suprisingly deep snowcover with only a few thin spots.

One thing we noticed was the lack of crowds and ski on access to all lifts, which continued until around 2pm, when things got a bit more crowded, but nothing major.

No crowds at 11am:

GreakPeak1_zps13c537c9.jpg

We skied all of the glades on the mountain including Labyrinth, which was good at the top and bottom, but really thin in the steep middle section. Aesop's Glade had really deep cover and was my favorite glade on the mountain.

Upper Labyrinth:

GreakPeak2_zpsc1027bb2.jpg
My son skied Hercules while I skied Trojan which was good with a few slick spots on the steeper trail sections.

We finished the day with runs down Arcadian Gate (super wide trail) and Mars Hill.

Overall we both liked the mountain and had an excellent time. The lifts could be faster and a bit more modern, but are adequate for a mountain of that size.

Greek Peak:

GreakPeak3_zps46d5d5ae.jpg

Been out in Telluride since Saturday.. No new snow and it's been in the forties and sunny.. Still, the groomers in the morning have been impeccable and there is good snow to be found if you poke around a little bit. One positive about the weather has been that the views have been absolutely spectacular, and I've gotten a nice tan ;).. Off to Wolf Creek tonight to ski the next two days, looks like we'll get 3-6 tomorrow night which should be good.

Wachusett skied very well tonight. Went solo which had advantages. 10 quick runs in 2 hours

Now watching the Olympians rip it up

Isnt that the best Mike!

Im gonna try and ski crotched thursday, they may sneak a cpl more inches after getting crushed today.

Rest of this season plus next season for 400$ , i may buy thursday .

ha! I think you mean Dave...anyway, skiing Ragged Mtn in NH today...bought tix online at liftopia and got a 10$ lunch voucher as well...should be a good day...calm winds, high around 30...although, there is another little clipper type.system moving in...should start s owing sometime today...i really hope the rds dont get bad...viva la.snow!!!

Isnt that the best Mike!

Im gonna try and ski crotched thursday, they may sneak a cpl more inches after getting crushed today.

Rest of this season plus next season for 400$ , i may buy thursday .

Been out in Telluride since Saturday.. No new snow and it's been in the forties and sunny.. Still, the groomers in the morning have been impeccable and there is good snow to be found if you poke around a little bit. One positive about the weather has been that the views have been absolutely spectacular, and I've gotten a nice tan ;).. Off to Wolf Creek tonight to ski the next two days, looks like we'll get 3-6 tomorrow night which should be good.

love wolf.

visited the place last 3 seasons.

enjoy!

no pic's???

Skied Monday through Wednesday at Sugarbush.  Conditions were mostly excellent, improving each day with several inches of snow both Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.

Where was everyone?  I couldn't believe how empty it was for a holiday week with good snow.

Most of the groomers were in good shape, with higher traffic areas getting predictably scraped.  As the new snow fell, though, hardpack was harder and harder to find.

Many of the natural snow trails had thin spots, but these were mostly easy to avoid.  Paradise and Middle Earth were fun, but a bit thin on Monday.  Moguls on Ripcord under the Heaven's Gate lift were great, as was Spillsville.  Lixie's Twist and Moonshine were both fantastic.

Stein's Run was terrible with large frictionless expanses between huge bumps.  There seems to be something about the steep, ungroomed snowmaking trails that inhibits adhesion of new snow.

Woods were fun, but could still use a bit more snow, which is remarkable considering they got 30" earlier in the week.  It must have been pretty grim before the big storm.

Today was quite possibly one of the best days of the season.   5-8" of snow in the past two days, bright sunshine, temps in the lower 30s (which felt downright hot after the cold winter we've had), and finally a snowpack where the woods are trust-worthy and really skiable. 

The recent new snow was a little dense and skied awesome...it didn't ski deep, but you could attack it and it would push back.  The type of snow where you ski on top of it, but then if you turn hard, you sink in a few inches and actually feel the new accums.  Great conditions today.

1932248_10151869350912382_1403116644_n.j

Archived