Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Ridge Builds In - Humidity Sticks Around - Wx Disc

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much all of them are. They would be improperly sited if they were right next to tarmac...though I'm sure there's a few out there that are anyway.

Yeah it's not even worth having this conversation again...I know the siting of MVL can be seen from RT100 here and it's out in like knee to waist high grasses with a few scattered trees nearby. It looks pretty much perfect, IMO, and still records lower dews than a lot of home stations in this area.

I just think the ASOS are more accurate pieces of equipment anyway.

But the fact remains, most of us grew up relating what we feel outside to ASOS dew points. You'd think its humid out, watch the Weather Channel, and see the local airport was at a Td of 68F or something. It may have been 75 in your backyard, but we relate better to the official dews...if that makes sense.

Yeah it's not even worth having this conversation again...I know the siting of MVL can be seen from RT100 here and it's out in like knee to waist high grasses with a few scattered trees nearby. It looks pretty much perfect, IMO, and still records lower dews than a lot of home stations in this area.

I just think the ASOS are more accurate pieces of equipment anyway.

But the fact remains, most of us grew up relating what we feel outside to ASOS dew points. You'd think its humid out, watch the Weather Channel, and see the local airport was at a Td of 68F or something. It may have been 75 in your backyard, but we relate better to the official dews...if that makes sense.

Yes, we use the airport obs as the measuring stick.

Why does KCEF always seem to have the highest ASOS dew point?  I've noticed that HFD also is typically higher than BDL...

It's actually an AWOS and I believe there was some discussion on here about how even these aren't all that great.  But regardless, I wouldn't rule out the idea that this part of the valley might be more humid than further south for whatever reason.

Not sure where to post this, guessing this threat...a 3rd tornado touchdown was confirmed in Connecticut in Enfield. The same storm that dropped the EF-1 in Windsor Locks/East Windsor dropped another tornado in Enfield about 15 minutes later.

Many of US don't

True.  Depends on whether the context is how one feels the moisture, or how it will affect wx events. 

In August 1988, PWM recorded TD of 77, their highest ever (at least I don't think it's been topped since then.)  That same day (4th, I think), BGR was reporting a temp of 93 with RH 68, which works out to dew of about 81.  However, I've no idea where in BGR that reading originated. 

Not in New England, but I can also recall having a Baltimore reading of 86 with RH 85 (dew 81) at about 10 PM one early Sept evening when I was there for early football practice; the condensing wetness was running down the inside walls of the gym room where we were hoping to sleep.  Nice wx for two-a-days (as sbos_wx would know.)

True. Depends on whether the context is how one feels the moisture, or how it will affect wx events.

In August 1988, PWM recorded TD of 77, their highest ever (at least I don't think it's been topped since then.) That same day (4th, I think), BGR was reporting a temp of 93 with RH 68, which works out to dew of about 81. However, I've no idea where in BGR that reading originated.

Not in New England, but I can also recall having a Baltimore reading of 86 with RH 85 (dew 81) at about 10 PM one early Sept evening when I was there for early football practice; the condensing wetness was running down the inside walls of the gym room where we were hoping to sleep. Nice wx for two-a-days (as sbos_wx would know.)

Yeah it's the same concept as those cornfields in Iowa where you hear the dews get into the low 80's. they are real. Just like our home dews are real. The dews are a direct product and correlation to their surrounding environment.

Some of the high dews pre-ASOS days I'm skeptical of. MHT/BED used to run hot during their manned obs days and I know some other stations did too. The equipment is more uniform across all official stations now so it's easier to make comparisons.

Some of the high dews pre-ASOS days I'm skeptical of. MHT/BED used to run hot during their manned obs days and I know some other stations did too. The equipment is more uniform across all official stations now so it's easier to make comparisons.

There was definitely a lot more inhomogenuity amongst the stations pre-ASOS than now. ASOS fouled up a lot of the snowfall data with the cutting of man observers, but at least the rest of the data is pretty good.

Yup, totally agree with this!

Yes we know you like the home station dews ;)

Why not?  I suppose we could be talking dews at every stop along the path of where someone travels during a given period of time (day, etc.).  I understand that each town, or area needs a base to take measurements, just like with rain, and snow, but if someone is at their home 80% during a given day and the dews are in the low 70's compared to the high 60's at the airport or where ever then that's what he has to go by.  

...Long live high dews.

Why not? I suppose we could be talking dews at every stop along the path of where someone travels during a given period of time (day, etc.). I understand that each town, or area needs a base to take measurements, just like with rain, and snow, but if someone is at their home 80% during a given day and the dews are in the low 70's compared to the high 60's at the airport or where ever then that's what he has to go by.

...Long live high dews.

It's more about what you relate to. The dew in my backyard may be 5F higher than MVL, but I've grown up being accustomed to how it feels outside when the ASOS registers a certain number.

Why not? I suppose we could be talking dews at every stop along the path of where someone travels during a given period of time (day, etc.). I understand that each town, or area needs a base to take measurements, just like with rain, and snow, but if someone is at their home 80% during a given day and the dews are in the low 70's compared to the high 60's at the airport or where ever then that's what he has to go by.

...Long live high dews.

The VP2 dewpoint specs are +/- 3F anyways. Sure, there may be a microscale dew increase from excessive moisture and/or vegetation, but a big part of it is simply accuracy. The Davis uses a Sensirion SHT11 sensor and my SHT15 with better accuracy just came in the mail today for a cheap $31 including shipping. I plan to replace the SHT11 on the Davis temp/hum module with the SHT15.

I've seen upper 70s before. Maybe 77-78 or so? Pretty rare though.

I remember Philly had a dewpoint in the 80s back during the 1995 heatwave.

ewr hit low 80s in 95 too. there was a boundary with pooling that saturday evening. i remember some near 80 readings in 99, 06, 11

Yeah it's the same concept as those cornfields in Iowa where you hear the dews get into the low 80's. they are real. Just like our home dews are real. The dews are a direct product and correlation to their surrounding environment.

are you a gnome who lives in shrubbery?

Archived