• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Remnants of T.S. Andrea to Impact the NE - Flood Threat!

moneypitmike

The downside of the GFS solution is it hangs back a ribbon of moisture along the slowed frontal boundary after the initial sfc low escapes NE...so it leaves us with a pretty sucky Saturday with light to mod rain.

Hopefully that doesn't happen.

yeah that's not a great way for that to unfold. would probably make for a more unsettled afternoon

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah. i don't trust the GFS with a system like this struggling to get it's self together. it's been on the E side of things pretty frequently too the last several days. 

I do buy the PRE look, but looks a little too convective-ish off the Cape if you know what I mean. I suppose it could be right...but I'm with you...don't really trust it.

I do buy the PRE look, but looks a little too convective-ish off the Cape if you know what I mean. I suppose it could be right...but I'm with you...don't really trust it.

GFS is obessed with doing this. It does it in the winter too frequently during coastals. Gets convection-happy in the warm sector and then leaves the NW side high and dry...totally butchers the conveyor processes.

Speaking of GFS mistakes... the other night I was looking at some of the big Feb blizzard threads and that was some special bust.  Even like 12 hours before that event it had most of CT with like 0.75-1.25" QPF  while the ECM/NAM combo was like 3"...we all know how that turned out with widespread 20-40" in CT.  It was like Will just said...the convection in the warm sector cannibalizes the NW side precipitation scheme and leaves it too dry.

Speaking of GFS mistakes... the other night I was looking at some of the big Feb blizzard threads and that was some special bust.  Even like 12 hours before that event it had most of CT with like 0.75-1.25" QPF  while the ECM/NAM combo was like 3"...we all know how that turned out with widespread 20-40" in CT.  It was like Will just said...the convection in the warm sector cannibalizes the NW side precipitation scheme and leaves it too dry.

yep.   GFS also tends to run the actual low too far South and East....

Wow, GFS is pretty far SE.

Not much chance for warmth on this run...  in the relative sense that is.  There was discussion yesterday about the higher DPs making a presence during the thing, and given a defined closed circulation staying SE of the ORH-BOS line, I don't see much hope of that.   

The 00z Euro came a tick SE of the 12z run.  We'll have to see where the next run goes.   

Also, though the rain would be heavy, the duration of this is fast... That may cut down on flooding some...

Yeah and I think the March 6-8 bust for the GFS was even worse...once inside of 60 hours. It hardly had any precip getting into SNE from the main firehose conveyor. It was giving like a total of half an inch of qpf back to this area. :lol:

I'm not sure why it does that so frequently, but hopefully it improves on that aspect of progs.

Interesting to see the NAM so far west ... but (and I am not sure this should apply in summer) the NAM has a NW bias with surface tracks beyond 48 hours -- this run's position up through the Capital District with the vestigial wave could very well be a result of that.  

But if this run were to prevail, the rain cuts by noon for SNE, S to N, and we are left with 570 dm murk. 

maybe some better data will get put into the models now

Product: Air Force High Density (HDOB) Message (URNT15 KNHC)
Transmitted: 5th day of the month at 17:14Z
Date: June 5, 2013
Aircraft: Air Force Aircraft (Last 3 digits of the tail number are 303)
Mission Purpose: Investigate first suspect area (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 1
Observation Number: 01

Archived