Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April 12 wintry event.

CoastalWx

AWT. A meh light rain underperformed

@BradNBCCT: not quite as much rain as I thought we'd get, but a rainy, windy, raw Friday...weekend improvements! http://t.co/hh7prDYv9L

lol... it was a pretty decent event for mid-April even down in Mass.  Surprised you of all people are downplaying a relatively widespread winter weather event for this time of year.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few more views from today:

(KTOL and ORH can't always be the winners lol)

attachicon.gif4-12e.jpg

attachicon.gif4-12f.jpg

We didn't get shutout in ORH....good sleet coating and def some accretion on the trees. Didn't get as much sleet as your area though. I missed most of it though in BOS during the afternoon...pretty cool event though. Impressive pics.

At any rate, what a fascinating event. To have temps drop like that during mid afternoon in mid April and having freezing rain is pretty amazing. What an impressive airmass.

Maybe we can get one last interior threat with the airmass that comes in next weekend...but obviously its starting to get really late.

At any rate, what a fascinating event. To have temps drop like that during mid afternoon in mid April and having freezing rain is pretty amazing. What an impressive airmass.

Maybe we can get one last interior threat with the airmass that comes in next weekend...but obviously its starting to get really late.

Last night's 0z ECM and today's 18z GFS showed a lot of cold air around for the second half of April with the AK block. 

Another batch of precip moving in too. Just extended my advisories into the early morning. Can start to hear the trees crackling in the breeze outside of the WFO.

Borderline here, up to 32.0 and zr.  On the ride home, the icing line was around 700-800' or so...below that things were mostly wet.

Topped it off with another 1/4-1/2" of wet snow or snow grains last night at home. One final morning of the season with the grass completely white and snow packed roads.

Call it one inch of sleet here with just a coating of what looks like actual snow overnight.  A fair bit of ZR here too--tree limbs weighed down and even a few icicles.

Not sure of the liquid content yet--still melting it down as I type.

Fun little event.  I can't help but think how rare freezing rain is this time of year.  Hell, we don't often see much of it in late Feb or March, let alone April.

2.6" of white matter on the board at 1,500ft.

Plow piles are bigger than a 6-8" champagne event lol.

There's probably 3/4" QPF at least in this stuff. Walk on top of it, not in it.

There’s been 0.79” of liquid equivalent down here in the Winooski Valley, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the higher elevations are over an inch.  I’ve pasted in my morning report from the NNE thread for reference:

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.79” L.E.

Last night’s rounds of precipitation brought another half inch of accumulation and close to two tenths of an inch of liquid here at our location.  The only type of precipitation I saw was sleet, and the snow density (below) is right in that 30+% H2O range, suggesting sleet is the bulk of what’s in the cores.  If we picked up close to eight tenths of an inch of liquid equivalent down here though, the mountains could easily be at an inch plus, and that’s getting toward a solid resurfacing of the slopes.  The quality of the skiing will probably depend on just how the temperature fluctuations played out at elevation, but in any event it’s another good contribution to the snowpack.  The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this event is below.  It looks like accumulations topped out in the north, with a nadir in the Central Vermont Ski Areas, and then a bit of a resurgence in the south.  Mount Snow is talking about a lot of ice on their lifts and they are not operating today because of it.  With no accumulation reported, perhaps they were too far south for this event.  Mad River Glen did report a couple of inches of new accumulation in the report on their website, but they indicated that they are not operating today due to a combination of deficient snowpack and surface conditions.

Jay Peak: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 3”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 1”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 3”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 0”

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.5 inches (sleet)