• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Obs/Banter

WxUSAF

I'd bet that a pepper plant in the right place might just survive the winter. Be an interesting experiment to see just what the life span of a pepper plant is.

I tried it twice. First time the plant went yellow and useless. The second time I tried a combo of a sunny bay window and grow lamp. The biggest obstacle is light. You have to have artificial or the plant goes mostly fruit dormant. Winter daylight is simply too short and not direct enough to keep the plant producing. When I used artificial + sun it produced but the peppers grew at a snails pace a hard a very hard time ripening.

I did put the plant back outside the next season and it produced but it was "tired" compared to the others. Wasn't worth the effort. Fresh seedlings is the way to go.

The nursery I ordered from delivered 2 weeks early this year. I kept thinking that it was too early so I check last year's delivery. I'm leaving them in the pots and moving out and inside daily until it's clear there is no chance at a cold snap. They look happy and healthy. I can feel the burn already. lol

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, hadn't looked at a weather model in a few days.  Both GFS and NAM have northern Va. below freezing Sunday morning, and GFS looks chilly next week.  

I'll take a pass on those freezing temps.

I can't see those of us farther east getting below freezing, but I could see pushing 37 or so.  And I'd rather not have chilly, thanks.

What kind of peppers do you have, Bob?  My hots are a couple early jalapenos, a habanero, and a Ring of Fire (hot cayenne).  They showed up last night looking really good - habanero is a little small, but that's to be expected at this point.

Ob: Cloudy

I used to order all kinds of different exotics but I've narrowed it down to 2 types that I really like so I've been keeping it simple. These are the 2 I have going this year. Malaqueta tabascos and thai reds. I order from Cross Country Nurseries. www.chiliplants.com

I grow a couple basic serrano plants for fresh salsa. Jalapenos are too variable with their heat from pod to pod but the earlies that you have are probably the hottest and most consistent of the jalap variety. 

I used to order all kinds of different exotics but I've narrowed it down to 2 types that I really like so I've been keeping it simple. These are the 2 I have going this year. Malaqueta tabascos and thai reds. I order from Cross Country Nurseries. www.chiliplants.com

I grow a couple basic serrano plants for fresh salsa. Jalapenos are too variable with their heat from pod to pod but the earlies that you have are probably the hottest and most consistent of the jalap variety. 

Nice.  They both look to be similar in heat to the Ring of Fire.  I'm going to dry those and use in a frech chili powder recipe.  The habaneros and jalapenos will go into fresh and canned salsas.  I use the high heat of the habaneros to add varying spiciness to the salsas.  I'll also use the jalapenos in my fresh canned pickles, and will dry some for later use.  Habaneros can be dried and ground up, too.

Good call on the serranos.  I grew them last year, and I really like them, but they didn't produce like I know the habaneros and jalapenos can, so i gave them up.  The jalapenos are already pretty big and strong, and have a couple flowers on them.  I'll probably pluck the flowers off one of them to see if more energy goes into plant growth for the long haul.

Well, we are certainly well within range of freezing temps still being possible.  At least away from the cities.

Definitely...especialy for you guys.  I can get pretty chilly here compared to just a few miles east, though Dulles can usually drop a couple degrees lower than us this time of year.  Still...it would take quite an anamolous airmass to get me below freezing at this point.

.92,not bad but now that we are in April, I'd like daytime temps in the low 70s.

And the wind, sigh, I certainly would like to delete that from today. It is chilly out there. Looking forward to a wee warmer forecast, but that doesn't seem on board until mid week. Maybe we can overperform on temps the next couple days?

Now THIS is the perfect spring day.

Yes!

For those complaining it may be 'chilly' to them today and next few consider this-

we have gone from -7 to -11 departures the early part of month to +2 to +5 now,

how much ABOVE normal do you think we've been for past week or so to do

that? Enjoy this week, welcome to April.

Archived