• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Obs/Banter

WxUSAF

All of that aside (i.e. not relevant to current discussion), downsloping certainly factors in IAD temperature extremes in summer, right?  Also proximity to water (DCA)?  It seems like lately IAD has had higher extremes on both the high and low end at times, especially with a west wind.  Lower cloud cover maybe too - DCA being closer to the ocean, clouds might hold down daytime maxes and make overnight lows warmer at times.  Overall given clear skies and light wind, DCA should be warmer of course.

I mean, we're talking 25 miles here so really it shouldn't matter that much, but IAD certainly seems to be much colder at night most of the time, and presumably the same factors might sometimes make it warmer during the day.  200-300 feet of elevation difference should not account for more than a degree of temperature difference at normal lapse rate, yet there is often a much greater difference than that between the two airports.

Downsloping helps DCA also, arguably moreso.  IAD nighttime temps are a little easier to explain - they are at higher elevation, away from water, and sit in a little bowl.  Perfect conditions to radiate well and form a cold pool.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful to hear when someone gets good news! Especially news like this.

Have enjoyed today, got the flower beds watered. Did not have to change from jeans to shorts.

Thanks Mrs. J!!  :hug:   Hopefully I'll be able to finally get some flowers planted this weekend.  Might even buy a celebratory Hibiscus to replace the one that didn't do too well over the long winter.

Thanks Mrs. J!!  :hug:   Hopefully I'll be able to finally get some flowers planted this weekend.  Might even buy a celebratory Hibiscus to replace the one that didn't do too well over the long winter.

You are most welcome! My BIL and sister work in cancer research and I know of too many people who are either fighting, lost their fight or have beat it. I always say the same phrase Cancer sucks! You get that Hibiscus. :)

All of that aside (i.e. not relevant to current discussion), downsloping certainly factors in IAD temperature extremes in summer, right? Also proximity to water (DCA)? It seems like lately IAD has had higher extremes on both the high and low end at times, especially with a west wind. Lower cloud cover maybe too - DCA being closer to the ocean, clouds might hold down daytime maxes and make overnight lows warmer at times. Overall given clear skies and light wind, DCA should be warmer of course.

I mean, we're talking 25 miles here so really it shouldn't matter that much, but IAD certainly seems to be much colder at night most of the time, and presumably the same factors might sometimes make it warmer during the day. 200-300 feet of elevation difference should not account for more than a degree of temperature difference at normal lapse rate, yet there is often a much greater difference than that between the two airports.

Again, to me that brings in water. IAD has no water to moderate extremes. I don't know that this is the cause, it just seems logical to me.

Beautiful day!

And the biopsies came back BENIGN!!! I don't have to wave goodbye to Thelma and Louise! 

I'd do a happy dance, but it would hurt too much right now. So instead I'm shouting out the happiness.

:thumbsup:               :D              :thumbsup:                        :D

*virtual happy dance*

Now THAT deserves a "good day" stamp.

Beautiful day!

And the biopsies came back BENIGN!!! I don't have to wave goodbye to Thelma and Louise! 

I'd do a happy dance, but it would hurt too much right now. So instead I'm shouting out the happiness.

:thumbsup:               :D              :thumbsup:                        :D

*virtual happy dance*

congrats on the victory. that is some great news :):weight_lift:

Spritzed here a little while ago per the norm in spring

I'm still vicariously living through webcams of my old stomping grounds. This webcam shot is this morning. It's the backside of Arapahoe Basin. This area wasn't lift served when I lived there. We used to exit the resort through an access gate and ski all over the place. They've had an unbelievable April after a terrible snow year. The resort will most likely stay open until mid-late June or even July if the snow holds. 

I'm still vicariously living through webcams of my old stomping grounds. This webcam shot is this morning. It's the backside of Arapahoe Basin. This area wasn't lift served when I lived there. We used to exit the resort through an access gate and ski all over the place. They've had an unbelievable April after a terrible snow year. The resort will most likely stay open until mid-late June or even July if the snow holds. 

attachicon.gifabasin.JPG

Cool pic! Son just shared that Jay Peak in VT going to shoot for the weekend of May 4-5. Not bad for a EC resort.

He has been on snow every month of year except September. He rode the snowfields of Mt. Washington on first day of 

summer one year to get his June in and boarded on Mt Hood in OR for his July and August.

attachicon.gifabasin.JPG

I prefer green grass, flowers, and leafing trees in late April.

attachicon.gifabasin.JPG

Sweet picture.

If I still partied, today is the perfect day to leave work early, spark up a fatty, throw on a 1977 Scarlet>Fire and play catch in the backyard....

lol. it is pretty superb out there.

Archived