Newest Member
    joxey
April Obs/Banter

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always fun when these are in the zones

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC130 PM EDT TUE APR 23 2013VAZ053-232100-FAIRFAX-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FAIRFAX130 PM EDT TUE APR 23 2013.THIS AFTERNOON...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 50S. EAST WINDSAROUND 5 MPH. .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR IN THE EVENING...THEN BECOMING PARTLYCLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S. SOUTH WINDS AROUND 5 MPH. .WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 70S. SOUTH WINDS 5 TO10 MPH...INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILLVALUES AS LOW AS 103 BELOW. .WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SHOWERS LIKELY WITH A CHANCE OFTHUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING...THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTERMIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 40S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH...BECOMINGNORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN 60 PERCENT. WIND CHILLVALUES AS LOW AS 102 BELOW. .THURSDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 60S. WEST WINDS 5 TO10 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 103 BELOW.

Always fun when these are in the zones

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC130 PM EDT TUE APR 23 2013VAZ053-232100-FAIRFAX-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FAIRFAX130 PM EDT TUE APR 23 2013.THIS AFTERNOON...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 50S. EAST WINDSAROUND 5 MPH. .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR IN THE EVENING...THEN BECOMING PARTLYCLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S. SOUTH WINDS AROUND 5 MPH. .WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 70S. SOUTH WINDS 5 TO10 MPH...INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILLVALUES AS LOW AS 103 BELOW. .WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SHOWERS LIKELY WITH A CHANCE OFTHUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING...THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTERMIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID 40S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH...BECOMINGNORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN 60 PERCENT. WIND CHILLVALUES AS LOW AS 102 BELOW. .THURSDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 60S. WEST WINDS 5 TO10 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 103 BELOW.

Sounds like a delightful spring day and evening!

IAD average high today - 70

DCA average high today - 69

so far this April on maxes

DCA wins 15 times, IAD wins 4 times, and there are 4 ties

I am pretty sure I'd find something similar in past Aprils...perhaps someone can explain to me why IAD has a higher norm max?  Because I don't understand it at all

EDIT - April 2012

DCA wins 25 times, IAD wins 2 times, and 3 ties

IAD average high today - 70

DCA average high today - 69

That is interesting... a similar thing happens on 4/6. It could be very small rounding errors in the normalization, or maybe there's more years where the marine layer will kill DCA highs whereas Dulles evades it. In the long run though I agree DCA could/should probably be the warmer of the two.

Over the 30 years for the climo record, DCA's average April high is 66.7 and IAD's is 66.4.  It must be the smoothing that they put on the norms.

That is interesting... a similar thing happens on 4/6. It could be very small rounding errors in the normalization, or maybe there's more years where the marine layer will kill DCA highs whereas Dulles evades it. In the long run though I agree DCA could/should probably be the warmer of the two.

Over the 30 years for the climo record, DCA's average April high is 66.7 and IAD's is 66.4.  It must be the smoothing that they put on the norms.

it makes no sense....DCA is probably higher 80-90% of the time...

Matt is it possible at this time of year the cold water has something to do with it?  No water to help "hold down" temps at Dulles?

That is likely the reason why the temps in April probably (haven't verified) run the closest between the two sites.  But that doesn't explain why on April 6th and April 24th the average high at IAD bumps ahead of DCA despite no real indication that it should have.

Matt is it possible at this time of year the cold water has something to do with it?  No water to help "hold down" temps at Dulles?

That is likely the reason why the temps in April probably (haven't verified) run the closest between the two sites.  But that doesn't explain why on April 6th and April 24th the average high at IAD bumps ahead of DCA despite no real indication that it should have.

Just looked at IAD won in a few recent Aprils....maybe I am off base

Beautiful day!

And the biopsies came back BENIGN!!! I don't have to wave goodbye to Thelma and Louise! 

I'd do a happy dance, but it would hurt too much right now. So instead I'm shouting out the happiness.

:thumbsup:               :D              :thumbsup:                        :D

*virtual happy dance*

No, DCA's highs for 81-10 were slightly warmer than IAD's (using daily data from both sites), but you wouldn't know that by looking at the official norms.  It is almost certainly something to do with how they homogenize the numbers.

All of that aside (i.e. not relevant to current discussion), downsloping certainly factors in IAD temperature extremes in summer, right?  Also proximity to water (DCA)?  It seems like lately IAD has had higher extremes on both the high and low end at times, especially with a west wind.  Lower cloud cover maybe too - DCA being closer to the ocean, clouds might hold down daytime maxes and make overnight lows warmer at times.  Overall given clear skies and light wind, DCA should be warmer of course.

I mean, we're talking 25 miles here so really it shouldn't matter that much, but IAD certainly seems to be much colder at night most of the time, and presumably the same factors might sometimes make it warmer during the day.  200-300 feet of elevation difference should not account for more than a degree of temperature difference at normal lapse rate, yet there is often a much greater difference than that between the two airports.

All of that aside (i.e. not relevant to current discussion), downsloping certainly factors in IAD temperature extremes in summer, right?  Also proximity to water (DCA)?  It seems like lately IAD has had higher extremes on both the high and low end at times, especially with a west wind.  Lower cloud cover maybe too - DCA being closer to the ocean, clouds might hold down daytime maxes and make overnight lows warmer at times.  Overall given clear skies and light wind, DCA should be warmer of course.

I mean, we're talking 25 miles here so really it shouldn't matter that much, but IAD certainly seems to be much colder at night most of the time, and presumably the same factors might sometimes make it warmer during the day.  200-300 feet of elevation difference should not account for more than a degree of temperature difference at normal lapse rate, yet there is often a much greater difference than that between the two airports.

DCA is usually warmer than IAD in good downsloping.

Beautiful day!

And the biopsies came back BENIGN!!! I don't have to wave goodbye to Thelma and Louise! 

I'd do a happy dance, but it would hurt too much right now. So instead I'm shouting out the happiness.

:thumbsup:               :D              :thumbsup:                        :D

*virtual happy dance*

Wonderful to hear when someone gets good news! Especially news like this.

Have enjoyed today, got the flower beds watered. Did not have to change from jeans to shorts.

Archived