• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - second half of March 2013

Not that I believe this, but the HRRR has been consistently showing some decent snow totals for the southern tier counties in SC PA and into MD as well. Also, in the past 5 runs it has been bumping UP totals

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

I think 8-10 in the Lower Susq Valley is way too high. It would take a prolonged period of +SN to get anywhere close to that, and the best dynamics appear off to the east. Anyone know anything about the HRRR? Wet/Cold bias? Possibly using too high of ratios?

HRRR has been pretty good throughout this winter showing timing of events and been pretty close to what radar ends up looking like.... but the snow accumulation map has been too high for most of Susq valley except for last Monday.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An hour or so before that affects things. Remember, sun angle isn't instantly high, has to get there. ;)

Yeah, the puddled waterways will be tough for snow to stick though. ;)

Been snowing nicely the past 30 or so minutes, probably over 1" now. Sidewalks and all still bare though, but who cares - it's snowing on March 25.

<rant>Given I saw two people fall hard  on PSU sidewalks, and given maintenance hasn't had a chance to hit everything, and given using their ****ing head would make sense, would it kill PSU to open at 10 to allow staff to get the sidewalks at least near a resemblance of okay? And "it's just two inches" doesn't cut it, it's not about amount, it's about impact. I saw two people including an older woman fall this am, and the older woman probably broke her wrist. I hope one of the senior admins here fall and lapses into a coma, that way we might finally have a policy on snow events that doesn't put staff and students at risk.

</rant>

Yeah, the puddled waterways will be tough for snow to stick though. ;)

Been snowing nicely the past 30 or so minutes, probably over 1" now. Sidewalks and all still bare though, but who cares - it's snowing on March 25.

I keep forgetting you live right in the city. Although my brother said roads and sidewalks down in York are bad. 

I keep forgetting you live right in the city. Although my brother said roads and sidewalks down in York are bad. 

They're clear in the burbs here - ran through Camp Hill to Lower Allen this morning and same story. It wasn't snowing here until 4 or so I don't think (when I got up to pee at that time it wasn't). I think we had a little virga action for a while.

<rant>Given I saw two people fall hard  on PSU sidewalks, and given maintenance hasn't had a chance to hit everything, and given using their ****ing head would make sense, would it kill PSU to open at 10 to allow staff to get the sidewalks at least near a resemblance of okay? And "it's just two inches" doesn't cut it, it's not about amount, it's about impact. I saw two people including an older woman fall this am, and the older woman probably broke her wrist. I hope one of the senior admins here fall and lapses into a coma, that way we might finally have a policy on snow events that doesn't put staff and students at risk.

</rant>

preaching to the choir, PSU hbg doesn't seem to care either. Commuters, like myself, have it especially bad. It's already taken me almost an hour to get to class (normal commute is 30 mins), and other times, they've canceled just minutes before the start of classes.

I am writing my congress critter to complain about the lack of snow in NEPA this year I want them to pass a law to have  at least one good snowfall a year.

preaching to the choir, PSU hbg doesn't seem to care either. Commuters, like myself, have it especially bad. It's already taken me almost an hour to get to class (normal commute is 30 mins), and other times, they've canceled just minutes before the start of classes.

I work at a smaller school but I understand how this whole thing works:

1. they will tell you that most businesses will not close in a minor snowfall. This is a prep for real life.

2. My school will tell you if you don't think it is safe, don't come to class. the teacher will work with you to cover the material. We can do that because we are a small school.

3. Finally, I do work with our closure team, they really try to be reasonable regarding closers.  They do not seek the  input of outside sources for weather info. they watch the local TV and maybe check the NWS. that is it.

This times a million...absolutely no need for any of the closings or delays.

and no need for schools/business to wait until AFTER everyone arrives to clear sidewalks/parking lots. I saw 3 people fall in our parking lot this morning.

I should add: a few weeks ago, a fence was erected (to the tune of over $10k) at my place of employment to prevent people from walking down a grassy hill because someone slipped and broke their leg on it during sandy. This was done in the name of safety.

Fast forward to today: 3" of snow/slush covering the parking lot. Irritating.

IT doesn't matter if this is a non event for most people. We live in sue happy place. you fall on the ice, you sue. Parents are so used to school closing for minor snow falls, that if they don't close, then the parents panic.

Kids get used to the schools closing early, when they get to college, they expect the same rules to apply.

Archived