Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - second half of March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a dusting this am. Wonder if it's the last snow we see up here? 

Looks like we finally get an above normal day around here Sunday. UNV's last above normal day was 3/15, +1. To find a truly above normal day you have to go back to 3/11. 

MDT's previous above-normal day is 3/12, when it was +7. 

IPT had a +1 on 3/26 but to find a true above normal day, have to go back to 3/12 with a +10.

Three of the last five months, btw, have been below normal. I wonder when the last time that happened? 

Rain storm Friday looks to miss us to the east.

Would probably be wet snow/rain mixed here so glad it's going to miss. 

Speaking of wet snow, 12Z GFS needs to knock this **** off. Very unimpressive with the warmup going forward and has this crap at UNV: 

SAT 12Z 13-APR   3.6     2.3    1007      92      91    0.06     550     544    SUN 00Z 14-APR   4.3    -1.2    1009      95      88    0.53     549     542    SUN 12Z 14-APR   1.8    -1.9    1013      92      51    0.05     552     541    MON 00Z 15-APR   5.5    -0.9    1011      85      43    0.01     551     542    MON 12Z 15-APR   4.7    -0.2    1009      96      81    0.07     547     539    TUE 00Z 16-APR   5.0    -0.4    1010      96      88    0.32     547     539    TUE 12Z 16-APR   3.5    -1.3    1012      97      52    0.03     547     537    WED 00Z 17-APR   6.0     0.3    1012      84      27    0.03     549     539    

I better get thundersnow tomorrow, CTP. You promised:

.SHORT TERM /6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH 6 PM WEDNESDAY/...A VIGOROUS UPPER TROF WILL CROSS PENNSYLVANIA ON WEDNESDAYAFTERNOON...ENHANCING CONVECTIVE SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY ACROSSNORTHERN AND CENTRAL SECTIONS...AND PERHAPS EVEN PRODUCING SOMELIGHTNING STRIKES AS IT CROSSES.

Looks like we finally get an above normal day around here Sunday. UNV's last above normal day was 3/15, +1. To find a truly above normal day you have to go back to 3/11. 

IPT had a +1 on 3/26 but to find a true above normal day, have to go back to 3/12 with a +10.

Three of the last five months, btw, have been below normal. I wonder when the last time that happened? 

The last above normal day I had in MBY was 3/12. Today will make 21 days in a row with below normal temps. I just started tracking daily weather data at the beginning of this year so I have no frame of reference for this type of cold spell. I am guessing that this length of consecutive below normal temps is not very common. I would love to hear from some of you who track daily weather records how common this cold run of weather is.

The last above normal day I had in MBY was 3/12. Today will make 21 days in a row with below normal temps. I just started tracking daily weather data at the beginning of this year so I have no frame of reference for this type of cold spell. I am guessing that this length of consecutive below normal temps is not very common. I would love to hear from some of you who track daily weather records how common this cold run of weather is.

Yeah, same. I would like to know as well.

Yeah, same. I would like to know as well.

A quick check on Millersville U historical weather data for Millersville reveals a 28 day stretch in May-June 2003 with negative departures. I was not able to find any longer streak more recent than that.

For MDT:

January 2011 had 14 straight days of below normal temps ... December 2010, January 2011, and March 2011 were all below normal ... Closest to 21 straight days I have found so far was July 1-25, 2009 where 24 of those 25 days were below normal... 15 below, 1 above, 9 below, back above

For MDT:

January 2011 had 14 straight days of below normal temps ... December 2010, January 2011, and March 2011 were all below normal ... Closest to 21 straight days I have found so far was July 1-25, 2009 where 24 of those 25 days were below normal... 15 below, 1 above, 9 below, back above

Wow, not surprised at July 2009. That July was insane. I recorded a low of 43 in my little valley town on July 4 morning. I remember going outside to do some garden work at sunrise and being shocked at how cold it was. 

A quick check on Millersville U historical weather data for Millersville reveals a 28 day stretch in May-June 2003 with negative departures. I was not able to find any longer streak more recent than that.

I remember that May also. Quite cold. 

Tomorrow could be interesting if we get some instability in here. Snow showers possible??

Probably not, darn it. But speaking of instability and all that, anyone else see the makings of our first severe weather threat on the models for late next week/weekend? GFS/Euro have what appears to my dopey amateur eyes as a decent set up. 

found this link through NCDC http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/temp-and-precip/us-weekly.php that has some preliminary temperature data... I noticed that March 2013 may end up colder than December 2012 on average for a number of locations which is crazy.  As of the 30th, the nation was sitting at 1.89 degrees below normal for the month (data for the 31st not updated yet but cant imagine it changes much).  Nationwide, 5 out of the last 6 weeks have averaged to be below normal... last time this occured was mid April 2011 to late May 2011, but these past few weeks were further below normal.

Currently 18° here...truly awful.  Should be quite a rebound for the day at least.

Pittsburgh just tied the record for coldest April temperature ever recorded at 20 degrees... MDT was 1 degree off of record low this morning (25F with record at 24F)

I know IPT is a few degrees above and I would imagine UNV would be as well, but does anyone know of that data?

edit: actually that Pittsburgh record where I first saw it was posted wrong (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/pittsburgh-ties-record-for-low-temperature-682111/) ... record lowest daily average temperature in month of april is 20 degrees... lowest low for month is 11... It should actually read lowest daily record which was set April 4, 1954

edit of the edit: Now NWS saying the official (now record) low temp in Pittsburgh this morning was 19 degrees with METAR code having minimum temp at -7.2 C or 19F

Pittsburgh just tied the record for coldest April temperature ever recorded at 20 degrees... MDT was 1 degree off of record low this morning (25F with record at 24F)

I know IPT is a few degrees above and I would imagine UNV would be as well, but does anyone know of that data?

edit: actually that Pittsburgh record where I first saw it was posted wrong (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/pittsburgh-ties-record-for-low-temperature-682111/) ... record lowest daily average temperature in month of april is 20 degrees... lowest low for month is 11... It should actually read lowest daily record which was set April 4, 1954

edit of the edit: Now NWS saying the official (now record) low temp in Pittsburgh this morning was 19 degrees with METAR code having minimum temp at -7.2 C or 19F

AccuWx lists 18 degrees in 1995 for PSU, and Wunderground has 18 degrees from 1954 for KUNV. Looks like the low at KUNV was 20 this morning?

A very interesting few days of weather is in store for the area.  After a cold start courtesy of clear skies, light winds and low dewpoints, we will see what the strong April sun will be able to do with temperatures.  But clouds will be increasing throughout the day, thus filtered sunshine will be the name of the game as a storm system gathers strength over Dixie.  Although most precipitation will be in the form of rain, the aforementioned dry air should allow for at least spotty sleet at the onset north of Route 22 and especially north of I-80.  Once the system exits the region Friday, the overall weather pattern across the country really changes and mild Pacific air floods the nation.  This will lead to a progressive warming pattern throughout the weekend.  By Monday expect a more southwesterly wind to take hold and I would not be surprised if a few bank thermometers in the LSV and Metro Pittsburgh area touched 80 sometime between Tuesday -> Thursday.  The one caveat to this warm up is the potential for a back door cold front to seep into the eastern third of the state.

A quick look at ocean temperatures shows a cool 43 degrees and 41 degrees off Delaware Bay and Islip respectively.  If we can manage continuous westerly or southwesterly winds, then it should preclude such a scenario for PA.  At any rate, enjoy the weather this will be a fun few days.

A very interesting few days of weather is in store for the area.  After a cold start courtesy of clear skies, light winds and low dewpoints, we will see what the strong April sun will be able to do with temperatures.  But clouds will be increasing throughout the day, thus filtered sunshine will be the name of the game as a storm system gathers strength over Dixie.  Although most precipitation will be in the form of rain, the aforementioned dry air should allow for at least spotty sleet at the onset north of Route 22 and especially north of I-80.  Once the system exits the region Friday, the overall weather pattern across the country really changes and mild Pacific air floods the nation.  This will lead to a progressive warming pattern throughout the weekend.  By Monday expect a more southwesterly wind to take hold and I would not be surprised if a few bank thermometers in the LSV and Metro Pittsburgh area touched 80 sometime between Tuesday -> Thursday.  The one caveat to this warm up is the potential for a back door cold front to seep into the eastern third of the state.

A quick look at ocean temperatures shows a cool 43 degrees and 41 degrees off Delaware Bay and Islip respectively.  If we can manage continuous westerly or southwesterly winds, then it should preclude such a scenario for PA.  At any rate, enjoy the weather this will be a fun few days.

There's going to be precip north of I-80 tomorrow?  CTP seems unimpressed, as am I.

Archived