Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - second half of March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok trying to get caught up on the posts... ended up really sick Monday (likely food poisoning)... anyway...

I was taking a look at Harrisburg's highs during March 21-25 since 1981... stopped at 1981 because of that currently being start of most recent climate period to compare current to "normal"...

Blue shaded is coldest temperature for that day each year since 1981 and red is warmest... last Thursday tied lowest high over this time period and Monday was the lowest high... of the 5 day averages, 2013 ranks the coldest

highest total Monday I recorded was 2.3" before the melting began mid to late afternoon... 21.2" for the winter

March - 5.4"

Feb - 2.8"

Jan - 4.5"

Dec - 8.5"

Nov - T

so yea 21.2" does not look too horrible for the winter especially when the average seasonal snowfall for Harrisburg from 1997 to present when removing the two biggest seasons of 02-03 and 09-10 is 20.1"... most interesting stat of how this winter has been, however, is how quick the snow has melted here... Longest streak of snowcover of an inch or greater at 7am when I take measurements was 6 days after the 12/29 event... other than that the mornings of Jan 26/27 was the only other time I have recorded snow cover of an inch or more for more than 1 day in a row... so the quick to melt has made it seem like the 21.2" has been a lot less than reality... plus I still have only used my snowblower once :-( lol...

post-285-0-54207100-1364399652_thumb.jpg

6" on april 6 of 1982 is the biggest april snowfall since 1926 at MU

I was a junior in high school and ended up with 7". What was truly remarkable was that it was a powdery snow ended up drifting like crazy...on April 6th.

I always laugh when the inevitable "winter is over" talk starts in early March...never say never.

add me to the sick list....got bronchitis over the weekend for the second time in 3 months!  Worse this time, and I had to see patients today while i was telling them i was sick....not fun.  I kept my distance from them and just had to skip the internal eye exam portion.

Best wishes to all the other sickies around here now.....it's probably brought on by all the model failures leading up to tracking these final snow events.

Archived