Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - second half of March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is far south-central PA as far as living goes? I will be moving to the Hanover area in York County in December because, #1, I am from Westminster MD so I have a ton of family up there and a new month-old niece, and #2, I have a full ride at McDaniel College in Westminster as a psych major, so my parents and I decided it was time to move back up. I'd like to know how the locals are (personality and special interests wise), where to go for fun/places to hang out at/places to visit, and what the climate there is like. I was born in MD, but the weather side of things up there is a bit fuzzy to me because I was only 5 when I moved down to East Tn. So any advice/info/anything else is much appreciated! I originally posted this over in the OT section, but was referred here by NeffsvilleWx.

Weather wise it depends on the year. In 09 and 2010 season South Central PA was as snowy as anyone in the country. However, some years they stay in the teens for snow totals. Expect about 20 inches of snow in winter with the chance of more with home run type coastal storms. As for the rest of the year, warm to hot summers, some good T Storm activity. The area does have a tendency to flood although Hanover doesn't strike me as a place that floods often.

Weather wise it depends on the year. In 09 and 2010 season South Central PA was as snowy as anyone in the country. However, some years they stay in the teens for snow totals. Expect about 20 inches of snow in winter with the chance of more with home run type coastal storms. As for the rest of the year, warm to hot summers, some good T Storm activity. The area does have a tendency to flood although Hanover doesn't strike me as a place that floods often.

Hanover/York usually gets some pretty decent afternoon T-storms in the late spring/early summer

Thank you both so much for the info! I'm definitely used to the severe storms down here in Tn. It seems like the T-storm activity in East Tn has been crazy the last few years, as we've gotten several big-time events in that duration. The April outbreak we had 2 years ago was downright scary for most people, and needless to say, disastrous for the entire SE. Snow-wise, I'm definitely a hugeeee snow lover, so I embrace the fact that I'm moving into a more snowier region. I was born 2 months after the 93 Blizzard, and was 3 when the 96 Blizzard struck, so I don't remember either one, so the biggest snow event that I ever remember was about 6 inches of snow, which melted the very next day. In East Tn, the average snowfall has really fallen in the last decade. It used to be somewhere around 12-15 inches for the valley, but this past decade has made it more like 5-9 inches per season.

Another question. Would you all consider South Central PA as part of the Mid-Atlantic, or is it part of the NE??

Thank you both so much for the info! I'm definitely used to the severe storms down here in Tn. It seems like the T-storm activity in East Tn has been crazy the last few years, as we've gotten several big-time events in that duration. The April outbreak we had 2 years ago was downright scary for most people, and needless to say, disastrous for the entire SE. Snow-wise, I'm definitely a hugeeee snow lover, so I embrace the fact that I'm moving into a more snowier region. I was born 2 months after the 93 Blizzard, and was 3 when the 96 Blizzard struck, so I don't remember either one, so the biggest snow event that I ever remember was about 6 inches of snow, which melted the very next day. In East Tn, the average snowfall has really fallen in the last decade. It used to be somewhere around 12-15 inches for the valley, but this past decade has made it more like 5-9 inches per season.

Another question. Would you all consider South Central PA as part of the Mid-Atlantic, or is it part of the NE??

I'd consider it mid-atlantic.

You'll have 2 ski slopes about 45 minutes away from you.

http://www.skiroundtop.com/

http://www.libertymountainresort.com/

Welcome man, I dont think I said that in my first statement. You will definitely do better than 5 to 9 inches a year up there. Also, have you ever experienced a tornado down in that region. 

I've experienced tornados before, yes. They are definitely scary, and the feeling you get from actually being in the path of one is unimaginable to someone who has not been through it first-hand. That is just one of the things that you need to experience on a first hand basis in order to really get the true feeling of a tornado. The intensity is unmatched, and the adrenaline flows like a river. But I've also experienced several hail storms that were so bad that the hail was baseball sized and filled up the yard and looked just like a 2 inch deep snow covered ground, except it was a hail covered ground. Wild wild weather. I'm ready for the Pennsylvania winters though!

I've experienced tornados before, yes. They are definitely scary, and the feeling you get from actually being in the path of one is unimaginable to someone who has not been through it first-hand. That is just one of the things that you need to experience on a first hand basis in order to really get the true feeling of a tornado. The intensity is unmatched, and the adrenaline flows like a river. But I've also experienced several hail storms that were so bad that the hail was baseball sized and filled up the yard and looked just like a 2 inch deep snow covered ground, except it was a hail covered ground. Wild wild weather. I'm ready for the Pennsylvania winters though!

Don't expect THAT kind of thunderstorm, but we get some decent rumbles. The area generally sees a few ef0/ef1 tor's and maybe some small hail occasionally.

Don't expect THAT kind of thunderstorm, but we get some decent rumbles. The area generally sees a few ef0/ef1 tor's and maybe some small hail occasionally.

Good lol, I'm glad that it seems like I'm trading extreme severe weather for some good ole snowstorm potentials. I'll gladly make that trade any day of the week, and twice on Sunday nights.

Wow...unreal man, that would be surreal. One exception up our way was May 1985 outbreak. I wasn't born yet but my parents had an EF 3 miss the area by a few miles, it actually killed 7 people about 10 miles south of Williamsport PA. Also a very large EF 4 tracked from North of State College to just west of Jersey Shore....very scary day.

Quick question... which side of South PA usually gets the most snow?? I've heard that I-81 is the demarcation line as far as big time winter weather events go, so I was wanting to know if the side west of 81 or the side east of 81 gets the most snow

Archived