CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA - second half of March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1130 obs from my PWS says 84.

I'm sure it's a tad high, I just repaired the CWOP interface yesterday and I don't have any MADIS QC data to adjust station calibration factors yet.

KLNS is reading about 2 degrees cooler than my site.

Edit: the data submitted from my site passes mesowest QC but is higher than all the other sites in the county. I'll have to check the fan when I get home, maybe it needs replaced.

Walker building site is down :arrowhead:

EDIT: Errr...I can't seem access any PSU Meteo website, even the homepage.

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to www.met.psu.edu

Try reloading: www.­met.­psu.­edu

Additional suggestions:

Yep, same. We are just getting daffodils to open up. 

Ours are already blooming, tulips are a good 8" tall, roses have been growing leaves for a few weeks, and I'll need to mow this weekend.

It definitely looks like spring here in my neck of the woods.

Here's a site I found today that I think is pretty cool. It's a map that shows all CWOP and NWS sites in the state, with links for data (select "all" in the network list).

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/mesomap.cgi?state=PA&rawsflag=3

Better than the wundermap, IMO, as all the data on the map has been through QC.

Never really expected Severe anyway, but do want a thunderstorm. 81 here.

Me too. I like the looks of radar, hope they hold together. After planting some stuff Sunday, I am in full garden weather mode. Which means I will be staring at random garden variety showers and storms all summer on radar, willing them to not break apart with about five times the intensity of how I follow snowstorms, lol. 

Monster bust potential tomorrow for here: 

CONCEIVABLY THE STNRY/WARM FRONT DRAPED OVER CENTRAL PA SHOULD LIFT BACK NWD AS THE MIDWEST FRONTAL SYSTEM BEGINS TO LIFT NEWD TOWARD THE GRT LKS/OH VLY. HOWEVER NAM/GFS SUGGEST A BACKDOOR SCENARIO MAY OCCUR AS THE BNDRY SLIPS SWD TOWARD THE MASON DIXON LINE. THE RESULT IS A VERY TRICKY/LOW CONFIDENCE TEMP FCST WITH BIG-BUST POTENTIAL. BASED ON PREV THINKING...I WEIGHTED THE FINAL BLEND ON THE WARM-SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE CLOSER TO THE ECMWF/RGEM FOR TEMPS WHICH WOULD ALLOW FOR ONE MORE VERY MILD DAY. TO GET A SENSE OF THE UNCERTAINTY...THE SPREAD IN THE GEFS MOS FOR UNV IS 15 DEGS AND 23F IN THE ECENS MOS. PCPN-WISE THE HIGHEST POPS REMAIN OVER THE NRN TIER DURING THE DAY BUT QUICKLY INCREASE FROM WEST TO EAST THUR NGT AHEAD OF EWD SURGING COLD FRONT.

The NAM is nutso. Has us only 50 tomorrow.

Impressive:

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGPAC023-033-047-101915-/O.NEW.KCTP.SV.W.0003.130410T1817Z-130410T1915Z/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDSEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA217 PM EDT WED APR 10 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...  CAMERON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...  NORTHERN CLEARFIELD COUNTY IN CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...  ELK COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...* UNTIL 315 PM EDT* AT 212 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A  LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS. THESE SEVERE STORMS EXTENDED FROM  LYNCH TO SIGEL TO SUMMERVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH. THESE STORMS  ARE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH.* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...  JAMES CITY AND PORTLAND MILLS...  WILCOX AND RIDGWAY...  PENN STATE DUBOIS AND JOHNSONBURG...  EAST BRANCH DAM AND ST. MARYS...  FORCE AND ROCKTON...  ELK RIVER AND MEDIX RUN...OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE TREASURE LAKE AND PENN STATEDUBOIS.THIS WILL IMPACT I-80 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 97 AND 136.THIS WILL ALSO IMPACT THE FOLLOWING MAJOR ROADS...ROUTE 119...ROUTE219...ROUTE 322...STATE ROAD 66...STATE ROAD 120...STATE ROAD 153...STATE ROAD 255.FORECASTER: JUNG

Impressive:

This is quite an impressive looking line of storms coming across the north central...particularly near Ridgway in Elk County where velocities are over 70knots at the 0.5 tilt (beam height near 4k feet). Given high D-Capes today i'd imagine that won't have trouble getting translated down. There's also a bit of a rotation couplet noted on velocity and TVS signature is showing on my GR2Analyst just north of Ridgeway (right over Johnsonburg) with the rotation product showing some very high values. MIght have to watch for a Tornado warning out of that.

MAG, Joe, think this is a threat for UNV in the next 45-60min?

The particular part of the line I noted about is further north and also starting to weaken a bit with the velocities and rotation signature but there are some storms trying to build just west of Clearfield County that may try to make a run at State College eventually this afternoon. 

Ah, Let's Make a Deal, now airing in Severe Weather Vision on WTAJ...

During the 1998 outbreak that included a tornado that hit my apartment with me in it, a buddy of mine was working at a Pittsburgh TV station. He said the phones lit up because they pre-empted Jeopardy to cover the tornadoes hitting all over the place. People were pissed, lol. 

During the 1998 outbreak that included a tornado that hit my apartment with me in it, a buddy of mine was working at a Pittsburgh TV station. He said the phones lit up because they pre-empted Jeopardy to cover the tornadoes hitting all over the place. People were pissed, lol. 

There is a video somewhere on the Internet featuring an irate woman calling a TV station that interrupted her NCIS or Criminal Minds, etc. during a tornado outbreak.  I distinctly remember the woman explaining to the station that the tornado coverage should have been taped and then replayed after her TV show.  :facepalm:

There is a video somewhere on the Internet featuring an irate woman calling a TV station that interrupted her NCIS or Criminal Minds, etc. during a tornado outbreak.  I distinctly remember the woman explaining to the station that the tornado coverage should have been taped and then replayed after her TV show.   :facepalm:

Lol yep, that was classic! I think it aired on The Weather Channel too if I'm not mistaken.

Archived