joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don, although not officially into the NCDC database (even though I tried with assistance from NWS)...Feb-Mar 2001 would also go on this list with 28.9" in February 2001 and 36.4" in Mar 2001.

Thanks for this info., Will.

It's remarkable that after this storm, the February-March figure might be 2nd or perhaps 3rd.

In fairness this was a hideous performance by almost all public facing meteorologists. NOAA had done a good thing by raising warnings and putting out 8-10 and then inexplicably bailed on that and went with an advisory event for areas getting 20". So they don't get a free pass either they were slow to pick up on the storm, slow to adjust up, adjusted down for no apparent reason, and then never caught up again, this was a colossal failure but I don't think we should single out any forecaster.

The ONLY one that I saw that at least highlighted the potential was Harvey, but let's face it he is busting horribly low too. The huge difference is he made it very clear this could happen.

you and will schooled the big guys

Measured 10" OTG at 10AM.  Not good with all this compaction stuff...so 2 hours later (accounting for compaction)...

12-14" new here.

Its going to be a challenged for me to figure an accurate total when I get home....haven't had the time to keep up with the 6 hrlies due to work.....maybe just stick a ruler in, and add 3".....

It's legit folks..believe it

Update as of 11am...Staffordville CT. 20.8 inches of snow.

Expand

I had 18.2" at that time but he was a couple inches ahead of me yesterday.  My temp is 33 now so snow growth is limited.  I better do another measurement!

Yeah but remember the fact that all of our snow will be gone by sunday night. :unsure:  :axe:

Back in 1997 when I had 28" of fluff, it took a week to melt it with similar temps and it was finally gone after a day in the low 70s.  I think we'll still have something around by Sunday night.

Measured 10" OTG at 10AM. Not good with all this compaction stuff...so 2 hours later (accounting for compaction)...

12-14" new here.

Its going to be a challenged for me to figure an accurate total when I get home....haven't had the time to keep up with the 6 hrlies due to work.....maybe just stick a ruler in, and add 3".....

I think the 128 belt is at 12-14", with a few more inches, we might crack 16" will see, going to measure soon.

Is anyone watching Bouchard.  He is acting like this wasn't modeled at ALL.  Nobody knew!  

Well yesterday's Euro had a few tenths for the 3-hr periods ending at 15z and 18z where it has been and is currently precipitating at >.1" per hour.  The GFS and CMC were too light as well.  And last night's Euro looked even drier.  The NAM and SREF kept busting too wet up until yesterday.  The snow was expected and well modeled, but I think the heavy heavy snow and its persistence was not (except possibly by some of the meso models).  But I have had 5 modeled blizzards on the short range SREF this year and I have maxed at about 8" over 24 hours back in Dec.  You'd lose your shirt if you tried to base a forecast on the most extreme solutions.

After this storm trended north on the guidance, over the next 3 days it evolved from a high QPF front loaded coastal to a complex ULL interaction, midlevel wraparound monster.  The heavy snow was not well modeled, but it is also NOT a complete surprise.  After all, 18" probs were showing up on the probabilistic snowfall charts over the past few days.

Yeah...I was thinking just adding 2-3"...I shoveled earlier (8:30ish) and already 3-4" new on the pavement.  Pretty incredible for mid March.

Argh!  Every 6 hours isn't required...just an option.  Some people measure at the end of the snowfall or daily like they always did before that system came about.  

Thanks for this info., Will.

It's remarkable that after this storm, the February-March figure might be 2nd or perhaps 3rd.

Yes Don...hopefully ORH gets a shot at the record sometime later this month. It looks like perhaps there could be another opportunity or two. But even if there isn't, it has been a memorable 30 days here.

Archived