joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kev wind blowing off a roof on a table does add some, get ur Butt off the couch and go measure

Yeah you always have to be careful of proximity to roof...esp when snow gets a bit more powdery. You can end up inflated a bit despite your yardstick telling you that you have 20". But regardless, I think theyll under up near or over 20" anyway. I just dont think they had 5" in less than 2 hours. Its ripping out, but not quite like that.

Lol...that's where I am (not at this second though)...I wonder what other weenie lives on Winter Hill.

Really!? I grew up on Winter Hill (and my parents still live there), Westport Rd right under the water tower. They're calling this a top 4 storm for them, behind '92, '97, and last month's blizzard.

Yeah you always have to be careful of proximity to roof...esp when snow gets a bit more powdery. You can end up inflated a bit despite your yardstick telling you that you have 20". But regardless, I think theyll under up near or over 20" anyway. I just dont think they had 5" in less than 2 hours. Its ripping out, but not quite like that.

I had 12" there at 8:00am and it's now 17".

Will, Wouldn't the snow that the roof captured be on the ground though if the house and roof were not obstructing the snow falling in the yard or snow board?

The problem is that snow falls on the snowboard, then snow falls on the roof and blows off onto the snowboard as well. So you get more snow on the snowboard (or deck, table, etc) than otherwise would have fallen. That's why it's never a good idea to measure too close to the house.

This is an overperformer.....but it didn't need to be. The models were very accurate on Cold & QPF as we got closer to the event. This feels like more of an overperformer because the Media didn't hype the storm. Right?

I'm sure in re-analysis the red flag will be the anomalous deep layer easterly flow that resulted when that secondary mid lvl impulse came down and effectively "stretched" the flow around the seaward cyclone, creating this 12 hour period of moisture conveyance onto the coast.  It's a unique sort of set up where the region of SNE was actually exceptionally lucky to be in the right place, at the right time for these events to have unfolded this way - ANY difference in timing/location of these atmospheric players and this would have fallen apart and been much less.   

Enjoy ... could be the last hurrah of the season, and what a cherry on top if it is, to go out this way!

We'll see about the end of the week/next weekend - something sort of hinted in there.  Tele's finally relaxing on the 00z layout, and the extended oper. model runs show a rather sudden filling of cold features (heights) - I see that every year.  Some magical day in March where the switch is flipped on the models (talking about the extended).  Wouldn't shock me if we see real, bona fide seasonal improvement rather abruptly in 10 days

6.6" storm total in West Hartford with liquid equivalent of 0.65". Not super wet! 

We really got screwed compared to other areas. 

No sympathy here lol.   Outside of the highest elevations Franklin Co has a general 2-4"  while places S and E of here have 5x that.

Although in a all fairness we were never really forecast to be in this game.

I feel worse for folks in RI where they should have gotten crushed.  I still don't get that?

I am just a little upset that I nearly get shut out of this one and I'm leaving for a week at Sunday River where they got 0.0" from this and have rain showers in the forecat all next week.  lol    

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Just getting into that banding, what's the snowfall rate in the heart of it? Got to be an inch/hour plus?

First bit is breaking up, but I think that's the wet snow hitting the dry air, since we have been SN- for 90 minutes or so. Should intensify shortly, SN right now probably about 1/2 sm.

-skisheep

With Worcester reporting 16.3" snow at 7 am., the combined February-March figure has surpassed 60". That's only the 4th time that has happened in Worcester. All three prior cases saw some accumulation of snow in April, as well.

February-March Snowfall of 60" or More:

1. 70.1", 1967 (April: 7.3")

2. 63.8", 1993 (April: 2.8")

3. 60.9", 1916 (April: 5.6")

4. 60.7", 2013

Archived