joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heard a noise suspiciously like a transformer blow then lost power. But it came back on a minute later. Odd, since the grass barely is white.

Same here. We're in Parkfairfax near Shirlington. Happened about 15 minutes ago.

I'll take the HRRRRRRR for 1,000,000, Alex.

It can't be overstated just how hard this area is to forecast and plan for.  Portions of the DMA are under a foot of snow, and others are in a driving rain storm.  Some have seen snow for hours and not a trace to show for it, and some are approaching 3 inches.  Not only forecasters, but for groups like OPM, etc to try and come up with a single policy/decision for the area is near impossible.

I feel like all of us are accustomed to receiving a long period overrunning or WAA with our KUs; and less familiar with Nor'Easter-type (e.g. moisture fetch from the Atlantic).

Why?? It could be this: this area's geographic location translates to being less prone to the features of a Nor'Easter, particularly a Nor'Easter that is undergoing rapid intensification. Other places such as NYC and SNE experience this more frequently.

I say this because looking at current radar, it really struck me when comparing our current radar signature to similar signatures I have seen before on NYC or SNE radar. Just a thought.

Agree.  Large flakes, but it isn't exactly pounding like you'd want for a 1-2"/hr rate (at least not at 33-34 degrees).

Every once in a while it really batters us, but it lets up just enough to bring the rates down to a manageable level for the March sun.

Radar is looking good back into Maryland, though.

I'm only not calling this heavy snow in Burke right now because, like a figure skating judge, I'm leaving room for some of those 35 dbz returns I'm seeing.

Coincidentally, first snow with the Dish Network. Now I see the downside.

Archived