joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ULL is just about to pass our longitude and the sfc low will move NW  and wrap in the next couple hours...the 925/850 lows are past us, so we should crash in the mid levels...I wouldnt give up yet...it is only 9:30...we are going to get heavier steadier snow in a bit

DCA is at 0.39" for the event..QPF is going to bust but NOT that bad...I think we are good for at least 0.8 or so....

What I find interesting for those of us who are experiencing Rainstorm Saturn right now is that in order for many of us to hit warning level criteria, we're going to have to pick up the pace...

but it's more than that. We have to overcome wet ground, among other things. This wouldn't be too big a problem if the soil wasn't saturated to the point of ponding.

So we now have to lose probably .3-.4 in QPF to overcome the wet grass and the warmer ground. If you take ice shavings and shove them into a planter filled with damp soil, you'll sorta see what I mean. So, provided my estiguesses are correct, for the Baltimore area we have another ~1.0 QPF on the way. We still have a shot at a 4-6" storm but we've got to get a move on.

Every once in a while it really batters us, but it lets up just enough to bring the rates down to a manageable level for the March sun.

Radar is looking good back into Maryland, though.

I think it has even intensified in the past 10 minutes.  Instead of wafting around filling the air, the big flakes are now falling more or less vertically.  The next batch as it crosses the river should be good.  Still 33.5, and dripping off the trees is kind of sad during a snowstorm.  And what's happening in MD sucks.

The ULL is just about to pass our longitude and the sfc low will move NW  and wrap in the next couple hours...the 925/850 lows are past us, so we should crash in the mid levels...I wouldnt give up yet...it is only 9:30...we are going to get heavier steadier snow in a bit

yep. AKQ high res is pretty awesome. you can see the center perfectly. It's really wrapped up and intensified in the last 2 hours or so. 

Ground still white from overnight snow/sleet; however, temperature has been rising all morning and is now 36.5. Light rain. Still confident I'll get first one inch snowfall of season (I've been so close a couple of times this year).  

Question: Hopefully, this won't be an issue but ...

Can I add last night's 0.5" (that is now melting due to rain and T) to this afternoon's 0.7" and count it as 1" snow fall or would that be two 0.5" snow falls? 

Archived