northernriwx
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

flakes just started flying here...no rain

just flurries

I love living by an airport because during snow events with the winds out of the east, the planes/jets circle to my east into the wind and there was a small plane probably <800' that was already obscured from the snow aloft

When did LWX adjust the district and east back down to 6-8 again? The orange 8-10 was way out east before. http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/winterstorm/

LWX had really cut amounts with the afternoon update yesterday.  It was based off the morning data from Tuesday which suggested significant mixing cutting down totals, but that's all but a memory.

1.25 mi viz here in Leesburg, close to half an inch. snowing steadily. 30 degrees

snowfall report map from LWX so far

attachicon.gifMar 6 2013 snowfall reports as of 1250am.JPG

Back to 8 to 10 for DC. Whatever.  WHen I go to my point and click forecast, its 4  to 10. The entire system is a mess. If I am snowed in tomorrow, going to write a letter to someone complaining. Meanwhile, didn't realize till now that even the Eastern Shore of Md. is under a Watch. 

LOL LWX Updated AGAIN...they must be boozing

It still is, it seems they're having technical issues.  I went there 4 times and got two different maps

Would not want to be a met in Sterling today.  Incredibly small changes in timing, temperature and location have played havoc on deterministic snowfall forecasts.  I would also gather several mets are in sleeping bags in their cubicles.  

Still a mix on Capitol Hill...having a hard time going over to snow. Temp is below 34

Not obessing. But don't think it would help for weather service to have one uniform system?  Otherwise, what' the point?

Archived