amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truly Truly - BEST of LUCK to you guys down there. Hope the GFS have been Far more helpful down there than they have been up here. And I see my RI buddy in this thread! Down in DC right now.

We have a Re-Dick-U-Lous Forecast to make up here. First thing that needs to happen is You Guys have Tons of fun.

You have the Crown Jewel Of Snow with You in Kocin, so he'll provide the extra Good Luck if anyone could.

Half of my concrete back porch is white. I'd say about 70 percent of the street is white, consolidated with steady moderate snow rates. Heavy wet snow is building on tree branches. Winds are gusting to 17 mph. Driveway and concrete walk from driveway to my house is turning white. The sidewalk however is having issues - still wet.

I am just LOVING this storm. There is no way I am ever gonna be able to sleep tonight. I'm in snow Heaven. Jebman shovels are waxed and ready to go. Plow companies better head for Winchester to find work - becuase I am taking over.

Glad you guys are having a blast up there! my old hometown...Orange (30 miles NE of CHO) seems to be getting hit pretty hard and might be the bullseye.

anyone in charlottesville, orange, or culpeper area seeing good snows as of now? accum. so far?

we have 3 inches-- I'm just off the road that leads to Ragged Mt Reservoir-  the snow is slowing down now at the moment

in retrospect this maybe should have been so much easier for us to buy into. i mean, i think i've been pretty gung ho on it for the last 5 days or so but if it wasn't march we would have been in a similar mode to then i think the last few. well, the snow drought hurt as well. still think the initial calls of 10+ in DC were a bit extreme given climo but this is generally how our giant snow events happen.

Yes and no. Narrow precip max for days. Temps a teeter away from win or lose.

We nailed position, timing, temps, on top of the beastly Ull rotating through just right. Only dt would make that call days in advance thinking he knew exactly where it would all happen. Oops

On the flip side, a 2-3 contour closed Ull tracking like this should be taken seriously in our parts no matter what. It's a whole lotta right place at right time that coulda missed out for a million reasons.

I will say this. Next time I see an ull of this strength with this track, I will remember 2010 and today much more clearly regardless of how gun shy I am following a multi year snow drought.

I think the disco thread was killer for the last 5+ days.

weather channel seems to think Baltimore is rain from 11am on and is over by 6pm? yet they call for 8-10" now?  odd.

why i am watching idk cause its quite irritating.

if you get your forecasts from TWC, you deserve to be irritated!

j/k about the dig but you should never get a forecast from them....ever

if you get your forecasts from TWC, you deserve to be irritated!

j/k about the dig but you should never get a forecast from them....ever

oh no i am fully aware. the GF has it on.  I am on here. i get my forecasts from you crazy bastards ;)

Its one thing to have bad forecasts, its another to have contradicting ones though.

Yes and no. Narrow precip max for days. Temps a teeter away from win or lose.

We nailed position, timing, temps, on top of the beastly Ull rotating through just right. Only dt would make that call days in advance thinking he knew exactly where it would all happen. Oops

On the flip side, a 2-3 contour closed Ull tracking like this should be taken seriously in our parts no matter what. It's a whole lotta right place at right time that coulda missed out for a million reasons.

I will say this. Next time I see an ull of this strength with this track, I will remember 2010 and today much more clearly regardless of how gun shy I am following a multi year snow drought.

I think the disco thread was killer for the last 5+ days.

Great post. And the strength of the block is very similar to 2010 as well. The setup is different but the block is similar. Like Ian said earlier in the thread. This is how we get our big ones.

Feel like snow in DC should be starting to stick a little better, but that really doesn't seem to be happening. It's sticking, but so far only into a thin coating of slush. Makes me start to think how epic this would be if this storm happened in January instead of March. Cue for bed, and we'll see what it looks like in 5 hours.

Archived