joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The western end of the band will be first to hit the brakes and slow over an area. Its starting to do that now. However, the eastern parts are still continuing to whip itself north as these bands usually do. I'm not sure how to explain that meteorologically. But that is always how it appears on radar.

Spoke too soon about So Maryland being okay. Just woke up and the snow has stopped in calvert county on the bay. Temps up to 36 and rain is washing away our dusting. Oh well. Enjoy your snow rest of the region, had a feeling we'd have temp issues.

That doesn't mean you won't change back - tho understandably you are not as thermally safe as folks NW are. 

i don't know what to make of things right now.  radar is filling in to the south, but it also looks a little spotty for my liking.  i guess this is a good time for me to get some zzzz's and see what i wake up to.

But as Ian said improving. Plus, convective elements will generally have that spotty look at first. The issue with megabands is that you'll usually get that area of subsidence just outside them - so hopefully people get in on it. 

the dryslot is pivoting east - more snow is blossoming to the SW and rotating in.

all I see is an atmosphere laden with heavy snow, about to demolish N VA and DCA/MD

one thing I absolutely adore is heavy wet snow, this is when we find out who can handle the shoveling, and who gets handled by the shoveling

The real show begins soon (next few hours) as the upper PV anomaly phase locks with the low level diabatic/theta anomaly, everything stalls and heights crash, and wicked convective frontogenesis begins as the PV tower forms. A lot of it is linking of the jet/front ageo circulation as high theta-e advects into the front and static stability drops rapidly...possibly becoming statically unstable. BL temps will be a close call though.

Archived