amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dry Slot band inc to DC.. I want at least 1 pic!

the dryslot is pivoting east - more snow is blossoming to the SW and rotating in.

all I see is an atmosphere laden with heavy snow, about to demolish N VA and DCA/MD

one thing I absolutely adore is heavy wet snow, this is when we find out who can handle the shoveling, and who gets handled by the shoveling

mcd0249.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0249   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0225 AM CST WED MAR 06 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF WV-VA-MD      CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW       VALID 060825Z - 061230Z      SUMMARY...SNOWFALL RATES APPROACHING 1 INCH AN HOUR WILL BE COMMON   ACROSS PORTIONS OF MD SWWD INTO NRN VA AND ERN WV.  LOCALIZED HIGHER   RATES /1 TO 1.5 INCH PER HOUR/ WILL PREFERENTIALLY FAVOR AND   INTERMITTENTLY OCCUR ALONG THE E-FACING SLOPES OF THE HIGHEST   TERRAIN IN ADJACENT PORTIONS OF WV-MD-VA.      DISCUSSION...THE LAST FEW HOURS OF WATER VAPOR IMAGERY HAVE SHOWN   THE NEWD PROGRESSION OF A MID-LEVEL DRYSLOT IMPINGING ON SRN-CNTRL   VA AS A MID LEVEL LOW MIGRATES EWD FROM ERN KY/TN AND STRADDLES THE   VA/NC BORDER BY 12Z.  CONSIDERABLE MODEL VARIABILITY EXISTS BETWEEN   THE 00Z AND 06Z NAM...00Z GFS...AND 00Z ECMWF REGARDING THE MID   LEVEL DRYSLOT EVOLUTION FOR THE I-95 CORRIDOR NEAR THE D.C. -   BALTIMORE VICINITY.  THE NAM APPEARS MOST AGGRESSIVE AND SEEMINGLY   PROBABLE IN MID LEVEL DRYING OVER THIS REGION WHEN COMPARED TO LOOPS   OF RADAR MOSAIC REFLECTIVITY.  00Z NAM FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOW THE   DRIER MID-LEVEL AIR OVERSPREADING PORTIONS OF THE D.C. AND BALTIMORE   I-95 CORRIDOR BY 09-10Z AND 10-11Z...RESPECTIVELY.  THIS SHOULD   COINCIDE WITH AN ABATEMENT IN THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES AS THE   DEEP SATURATED COLUMN JUXTAPOSED WITH DEEP LAYER FORCING FOR ASCENT   BECOMES RELEGATED FARTHER W OVER NRN VA...NERN WV...AND WRN MD.    THIS WILL OCCUR IN TANDEM WITH AN INTENSIFYING SURFACE LOW   /CURRENTLY ANALYZED OVER NERN NC/ DEVELOPING NEWD TO THE TIDEWATER   VICINITY BY 12-15Z.  UPSLOPE COMPONENT TO THE FLOW OWING TO   INCREASING ELY FLOW IN THE H9-H85 LAYER AROUND 40 KTS WILL ACT TO   AUGMENT SNOWFALL RATES OVER THE ERN FACING SLOPES OF THE HIGHER   TERRAIN OVER PARTS OF WV-MD-VA /RATES 1 TO 1.5 INCH PER HOUR/.      ..SMITH.. 03/06/2013         ATTN...WFO...CTP...LWX...RNK...PBZ...RLX...      LAT...LON   38377999 39197931 39597905 39777752 39467654 38997656               38507742 38057896 37937979 38377999    

I'm not sure that death band is anywhere close to slowing it's movement yet. That will likely pass through DC and slow down somewhere just past it judging by its solid momentum. You dc peeps want to see it start hitting the breaks. Be ready for tssn. Its definitely on the start of the dry slot, and is located where snow whould be convective.

Thundersnow! (Westminster)

KDMW 060825Z AUTO 08008G15KT 050V120 3/4SM SN OVC007 00/M01 A2971 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT S P0002

Pro Tip:

When a AWOS Station is under "AUTO" it takes lightning data from USPLN. It's not a sensor at the airport or an observer.

Edit: No strikes on DC-LMA. Might be a fluke or a very small discharge.

You are kidding about the dry slot part right??

we need rates probably no matter what.. we might dip into it. but radar looks way better to the south now (top new v below about 90 min ago). returns are pivoting this direction too.

post-1615-0-28478500-1362560203_thumb.gi

Archived