Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

3" would be 100 times more than I have right now

this super band is pretty lame so far up here

might be good to have a nice bust .. we're all getting too cocky these days.. tho i think we knew the gradient had high bust potential. perhaps we got fooled late yesterday.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

might be good to have a nice bust .. we're all getting too cocky these days.. tho i think we knew the gradient had high bust potential. perhaps we got fooled late yesterday.

nobody got cocky untl yesterday evening...I couldnt give a f-uck about cockiness...I just want snow...I dont give a crap about the other stuff

Just woke up. Decent snowfall at my house but my immediate impression ran toward what I am reading in the last few pages from zwyts I appear to be riding a REALLY fine line between snow and rain, and only have around an inch so far. Grassy surfaces accumulation only at this point. Glad to read baroclinic's thoughts, but this is going to be a really close call here and I don't expect huge totals. 

You might want to check out the latest LWX AFD. Its a fascinating read

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

The radar has this curious crosshatched look to it. This is the look of energies in transition. The last time I saw this look to the radar was back in........................................................................................

That's right: February 2010.

We are all about to be utterly destroyed by heavy snows, monster bands and winds that may create near whiteout conditions.

Strap yourselves in securely and hold on, this is going to be one hell of a wild ride!

My temp is slightly above freezing: 32.1/32. I think this suggests that the (lack of) intensity is to blame for poor accumulation combined with urbanization . And, though I cannot be sure, it appears to be mixing still.

If the landscape isn't whitened by 7am I will sit shiva the remainder of the storm.

It's been over 2 years without 2" :lol: I think we're all far from cocky at this point. 

It's been over 2 years without 2" :lol: I think we're all far from cocky at this point. 

im talking the industry as a whole.. the idea that models are so good we live in a post-surprise world.

i dont need to get into fights with people upset about snow tho.. let it play out a bit longer. over recent days plenty said repeatedly that west was near a slam dunk.. this area was tricky.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0249

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0225 AM CST WED MAR 06 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF WV-VA-MD

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 060825Z - 061230Z

SUMMARY...SNOWFALL RATES APPROACHING 1 INCH AN HOUR WILL BE COMMON

ACROSS PORTIONS OF MD SWWD INTO NRN VA AND ERN WV. LOCALIZED HIGHER

RATES /1 TO 1.5 INCH PER HOUR/ WILL PREFERENTIALLY FAVOR AND

INTERMITTENTLY OCCUR ALONG THE E-FACING SLOPES OF THE HIGHEST

TERRAIN IN ADJACENT PORTIONS OF WV-MD-VA.

DISCUSSION...THE LAST FEW HOURS OF WATER VAPOR IMAGERY HAVE SHOWN

THE NEWD PROGRESSION OF A MID-LEVEL DRYSLOT IMPINGING ON SRN-CNTRL

VA AS A MID LEVEL LOW MIGRATES EWD FROM ERN KY/TN AND STRADDLES THE

VA/NC BORDER BY 12Z. CONSIDERABLE MODEL VARIABILITY EXISTS BETWEEN

THE 00Z AND 06Z NAM...00Z GFS...AND 00Z ECMWF REGARDING THE MID

LEVEL DRYSLOT EVOLUTION FOR THE I-95 CORRIDOR NEAR THE D.C. -

BALTIMORE VICINITY. THE NAM APPEARS MOST AGGRESSIVE AND SEEMINGLY

PROBABLE IN MID LEVEL DRYING OVER THIS REGION WHEN COMPARED TO LOOPS

OF RADAR MOSAIC REFLECTIVITY. 00Z NAM FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOW THE

DRIER MID-LEVEL AIR OVERSPREADING PORTIONS OF THE D.C. AND BALTIMORE

I-95 CORRIDOR BY 09-10Z AND 10-11Z...RESPECTIVELY. THIS SHOULD

COINCIDE WITH AN ABATEMENT IN THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES AS THE

DEEP SATURATED COLUMN JUXTAPOSED WITH DEEP LAYER FORCING FOR ASCENT

BECOMES RELEGATED FARTHER W OVER NRN VA...NERN WV...AND WRN MD.

THIS WILL OCCUR IN TANDEM WITH AN INTENSIFYING SURFACE LOW

/CURRENTLY ANALYZED OVER NERN NC/ DEVELOPING NEWD TO THE TIDEWATER

VICINITY BY 12-15Z. UPSLOPE COMPONENT TO THE FLOW OWING TO

INCREASING ELY FLOW IN THE H9-H85 LAYER AROUND 40 KTS WILL ACT TO

AUGMENT SNOWFALL RATES OVER THE ERN FACING SLOPES OF THE HIGHER

TERRAIN OVER PARTS OF WV-MD-VA /RATES 1 TO 1.5 INCH PER HOUR/.

im talking the industry as a whole.. the idea that models are so good we live in a post-surprise world.

i dont need to get into fights with people upset about snow tho.. let it play out a bit longer. over recent days plenty said repeatedly that west was near a slam dunk.. this area was tricky.

I'm more angry at myself that I bought into it....both as a snow fan and as a forecaster....my forecast from yesterday afternoon was money...and then I blew the NAM and GFS....

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0249   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0225 AM CST WED MAR 06 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF WV-VA-MD      CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW       VALID 060825Z - 061230Z      SUMMARY...SNOWFALL RATES APPROACHING 1 INCH AN HOUR WILL BE COMMON   ACROSS PORTIONS OF MD SWWD INTO NRN VA AND ERN WV.  LOCALIZED HIGHER   RATES /1 TO 1.5 INCH PER HOUR/ WILL PREFERENTIALLY FAVOR AND   INTERMITTENTLY OCCUR ALONG THE E-FACING SLOPES OF THE HIGHEST   TERRAIN IN ADJACENT PORTIONS OF WV-MD-VA.      DISCUSSION...THE LAST FEW HOURS OF WATER VAPOR IMAGERY HAVE SHOWN   THE NEWD PROGRESSION OF A MID-LEVEL DRYSLOT IMPINGING ON SRN-CNTRL   VA AS A MID LEVEL LOW MIGRATES EWD FROM ERN KY/TN AND STRADDLES THE   VA/NC BORDER BY 12Z.  CONSIDERABLE MODEL VARIABILITY EXISTS BETWEEN   THE 00Z AND 06Z NAM...00Z GFS...AND 00Z ECMWF REGARDING THE MID   LEVEL DRYSLOT EVOLUTION FOR THE I-95 CORRIDOR NEAR THE D.C. -   BALTIMORE VICINITY.  THE NAM APPEARS MOST AGGRESSIVE AND SEEMINGLY   PROBABLE IN MID LEVEL DRYING OVER THIS REGION WHEN COMPARED TO LOOPS   OF RADAR MOSAIC REFLECTIVITY.  00Z NAM FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOW THE   DRIER MID-LEVEL AIR OVERSPREADING PORTIONS OF THE D.C. AND BALTIMORE   I-95 CORRIDOR BY 09-10Z AND 10-11Z...RESPECTIVELY.  THIS SHOULD   COINCIDE WITH AN ABATEMENT IN THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES AS THE   DEEP SATURATED COLUMN JUXTAPOSED WITH DEEP LAYER FORCING FOR ASCENT   BECOMES RELEGATED FARTHER W OVER NRN VA...NERN WV...AND WRN MD.    THIS WILL OCCUR IN TANDEM WITH AN INTENSIFYING SURFACE LOW   /CURRENTLY ANALYZED OVER NERN NC/ DEVELOPING NEWD TO THE TIDEWATER   VICINITY BY 12-15Z.  UPSLOPE COMPONENT TO THE FLOW OWING TO   INCREASING ELY FLOW IN THE H9-H85 LAYER AROUND 40 KTS WILL ACT TO   AUGMENT SNOWFALL RATES OVER THE ERN FACING SLOPES OF THE HIGHER   TERRAIN OVER PARTS OF WV-MD-VA /RATES 1 TO 1.5 INCH PER HOUR/.

thanks for a discussion on a dryslot from 2 hours ago

Meh, not terribly affected either way, did just enjoy 30" up in SNE a few weeks back. More for the rest of DC. 

On topic, radar has a great look, and actually can see the formation of the pivot band right over the metro. How it plays out, and whether it'll stick, guess we'll see. 

Just woke up from a bit of sleep.  Live in a third-floor apt. that faces some trees on the S side of CHO.  Out of the corner of my eye just saw what I thought was lightning.  Nope.  Transformers blowing.  Really sick aqua-tinted flashes with these deep, visceral buzzing sounds--at least three of them.  Haven't heard/seen that since the derecho.  Can hear trees cracking all over.  Probably won't have power for too much longer.  But what a show on the way out! 

Meh, not terribly affected either way, did just enjoy 30" up in SNE a few weeks back. More for the rest of DC.

On topic, radar has a great look, and actually can see the formation of the pivot band right over the metro. How it plays out, and whether it'll stick, guess we'll see.

The storm is getting is still in its early stages I think most will be still pleased

i should have slept. lol.

not sure how much that first band remains the focus. hopefully not much since it moved through.

The storm is getting is still in its early stages I think most will be still pleased

I think some people are rightfully getting disappointed because the WAA is waining, not realizing the coastal isn't supposed to start to strengthen until between 9z and 12z 9around now).  After that, colder air should be drawn in.

<p>Heaviest snow of the night I'm guessing here @ Front Royal, with this paste I'm guessing dawn is going to be absolutely beautiful. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>From now till 10 o'clock the radar & death band will form, however like I keep saying there is going to be a highly convective band that forms from the CCB turning in on itself. This will be from about DC to central DE. I think this band forms around 11-1pm </p>

I think some people are rightfully getting disappointed because the WAA is waining, not realizing the coastal isn't supposed to start to strengthen until between 9z and 12z 9around now). After that, colder air should be drawn in.

Yeah thats exactly it. Wouldn't be the first time these hi res models overdid waa snow if thats the. Case.

I just came from the window and I got the sense that something is changing...the dendrites look better, the air felt colder (wind has switched to the N)...that sort of thing. I think things will turnaround within the next hour

Archived