Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kinda Meh after the mid day for my CWA--

Points SE, E and NE look good, Even due north. We get scrapped on the first round, and then it blows up JUST too late to really blast us. Farmville to CHO get 1-2 feet, 60 miles north and east-- We get 1-3 round 1, a lull and then another 2-4. Not bad, but kinda meh. I will sting if the heavy stuff is that close. 

We know banding tends to be further west than modeled, usually- but I've never gotten a band push WEST to me, but more from the south modeled stuff.

Not that this is a lock at all-- I'd rather see it cranking up near ILM seems to be the sweet spot for the ROA to LYH corridor. 

one concern with the euro is it looked more like teh 12z GFS last night. it was less amped at 12z but we just managed to find the sweet spot. have to see if that trend continues.

one concern with the euro is it looked more like teh 12z GFS last night. it was less amped at 12z but we just managed to find the sweet spot. have to see if that trend continues.

To be fair though, we will probably see it rock back and forth between amped vs less amped until we have better sampling of the energy. Or...it could just lose the storm ;) 

I'm kinda Meh after the mid day for my CWA--

Points SE, E and NE look good, Even due north. We get scrapped on the first round, and then it blows up JUST too late to really blast us. Farmville to CHO get 1-2 feet, 60 miles north and east-- We get 1-3 round 1, a lull and then another 2-4. Not bad, but kinda meh. I will sting if the heavy stuff is that close. 

We know banding tends to be further west than modeled, usually- but I've never gotten a band push WEST to me, but more from the south modeled stuff.

Not that this is a lock at all-- I'd rather see it cranking up near ILM seems to be the sweet spot for the ROA to LYH corridor. 

It doesn't give us much back towards ROA. Definitely a DC/RIC special.

It doesn't give us much back towards ROA. Definitely a DC/RIC special.

Yeah, you guys get a little on the front side and flurries on the backside. We get a nice band later when it cranks up. I've seen this happen, but it's rare. I still think we need ILM for the phase spot vs HAT. It's like every 5 miles outside of LYH your adding an inch of snow till Farmville and Charlottesville. 

Like I said, I'm kinda Meh.

To be fair though, we will probably see it rock back and forth between amped vs less amped until we have better sampling of the energy. Or...it could just lose the storm ;)

for sure. not sure there are any real "trends" apparent.. still seems mostly to be bouncing around with a big snow somewhere. but it was a fairly decent change from 0z so you can't totally ignore it. you de-amp and slow the phase a bit more and it's a problem. this run is about our ceiling give or take the actual bulseye.

Euro stalls this off the tip of the Delmarva peninsula.  GFS stalls it off the tip of Cape May.  That's pretty decent agreement at Day 5.  CoastalWX said the 500 maps are way different, which I can't see, but if they are very different, it's encouraging that we get a robust solution in either event.  

for sure. not sure there are any real "trends" apparent.. still seems mostly to be bouncing around with a big snow somewhere. but it was a fairly decent change from 0z so you can't totally ignore it. you de-amp and slow the phase a bit more and it's a problem. this run is about our ceiling give or take the actual bulseye.

Re the whole trends things - I definitely think it's something to note. Slightly OT but the times when I get frustrated is when folks start trying to predict one model output based on another models output. We are forecasting weather not models lol. 

I guess the main takeaway at this point is that the models are still seemingly on board with a pretty massive storm someplace. We could very well still miss out as others have stated. I feel like from the point we are at now it's only going to be more conservative in the end...can't get much better than a huge march snow like what is being shown. 

Euro stalls this off the tip of the Delmarva peninsula.  GFS stalls it off the tip of Cape May.  That's pretty decent agreement at Day 5.  CoastalWX said the 500 maps are way different, which I can't see, but if they are very different, it's encouraging that we get a robust solution in either event.  

Indeed. That's something I was thinking about as the Euro news came in. So we can afford some swing and still get snow - that's always a good thing to see. I hate threading a needle through a hole the size of a nanometer. 

Since we are neighbors, what kind of QPF our we looking at here?

Archived