12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do surface winds look?  Does it bomb out fast enough to get us some?  Edit: Looks like 10 knots at 132 hours.

Great website is instantweathermaps.com.  MNTransplant clued me into it.  Yes, 20-30mph for the DC-Balt corridor, higher nearer the coast.  

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2013030112&time=INSTANT&var=GRDM&hour=135

I think us in the cities accept we will likely have preip-type problem...thats ok...I want a storm...If I get 3" and IAD gets 12", I am fine with that

Out this way, I have a total of about 9" for the season.  If this storm were to work out for us, and we somehow got 12" out here, 21" total for the season wouldn't be bad.  Still below normal, but it would be a huge improvement over last winter.  However, I would be happy to take less out here, if you guys in the metro could also have a good storm with mostly snow.

dca sounding @ 108 (precip onset+/-). Should cool quick to near freezing with dews in the 20's. . Definitely a snow sounding (that's obvious of course)

Edit: 114 has surface @ 33+/-. Considering time of day dca would start off on the right foot. Something that's been elusive...and may still be. 

Would an earlier phase help give us a more potent storm.  I figure that would draw in more to the coast.  I'm sure many don't want that, but, like Ian said, snow is IMBY.  Closer to the coast is beneficial to me.

Truth is, I just hope someone locally gets it good.  I can always get a hotel room.

earlier phase would reduce the chances of this pulling a typical miller b screw job to our northeast.  Yes if it phases too early we run the risk of an inland runner, but right now, given the trough axis, the block, and the tendancy for phases to happen slower rather then faster, I would rather be playing with that fire then the other. 

At the DCA airport location - I think this is the full list

3-9-1999 - 8.4"

3-12/13-1993 - 6.6"

3/30-4/1/1964 - 6.2" (assuming this was one storm)

I don't think the 1964 storm was one event. The stuff on the 30th came early morning and then there was nothing till late on the 31st.

3/2-3/1960 was a 7.9" at DC as well.

I don't think the 1964 storm was one event. The stuff on the 30th came early morning and then there was nothing till late on the 31st.

3/2-3/1960 was a 7.9" at DC as well.

That makes sense, we have so few 3 day events here.

The question was post-Mar 5th, so I left 1960 out.  There are a couple of other near misses (5.8" or so) in the span also.

12z UKIE is probably a lil too south for our liking (but right where we want to be anyway)...

96 hrs has a 1009 L in S TN

120 1006 L just SE of HSE 

144 989 way offshore of HSE due east by about 400 miles

h5 only goes to 72 on meteocentre -- http://meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/QQ_GZ_UU_VV_072_0500.gif

UKMET looks like it wants to be the last to the party. 

GEFS is about 200 miles farther south at 132 and a bit farther offshore.  That's still pretty reasonable concurrence at D5.  A Euro ensemble/GFS ensemble blend is probably the safe forecast right now and that still is probably a good one for us in regards to streak-breaking.  

12zgfsensemblep12132.gif

That makes sense, we have so few 3 day events here.

The question was post-Mar 5th, so I left 1960 out.  There are a couple of other near misses (5.8" or so) in the span also.

ahh, right. close enough. :P

GEFS is about 200 miles farther south at 132 and a bit farther offshore.  That's still pretty reasonable concurrence at D5.  A Euro ensemble/GFS ensemble blend is probably the safe forecast right now and that still is probably a good one for us in regards to streak-breaking.  

Can't ignore the trend either

GGEM almost wanted to be an apps runner, but redevelops at the last minute as it runs into the block

It looks like a snow to rain to heavy snow event literally.  120 is snow... 132 would probably be rain with that position for us... but then as the low gets captured by the h5 it stalls and moves slowly east bringing the snow back east with it

Archived