Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the time the trend is a bit of a creep north at the last minute.  Part of that is sometimes not even the storm being north, but that the models often times underdo the northern extent of heavy precip from this range.  In reality precip will usually make it to where the confluence cuts it off and often that is a bit north of where models have it this far out.  Usually I like to be sitting right on the northern edge of the heavy precip from 3-5 days out.  Of course I think the models are still getting a handle on the details of this so until they lock in a bit more...where that northern edge is depends.  Either way if you look at the models right now, from south to north it seems to be UKMET, EUro, GGEM, GFS.  We seem to be towards the northern half of that guidance but definitely not outside the target zone, I like being in that area. 

Thank you for the explanation.  I appreciate it.  Definitely got your gist.  Either way, I just want all of us the opportunity to cash in. :)

Euro:

DCA: 1.63 total w/ .60 falling in 6 hours ending 0z thurs.

IAD: 1.51 total w/ .59 falling in 6 hours ending 0z thurs. 

BWI: 1.26 total w/ .43 falling in 6 hours ending 0z thurs

850's never get warmer than -3.0+/-  (-2.7 for a period @ bwi)

Surface mostly between freezing and 35 (this prob doesn't matter much at this point)

This can't be correct. It shows DCA with the most precipitation! :lmao:

Just a statement about possible future trends north: usually in coastal storm situations like this when the models trend north in the final days, the 50-50 low/block has already reached its westward point and they begin to dismantle/move out at storm time/just before. A lot of famous blizzards happen at the end of a -NAO cycle for a reason in the Mid Atlantic.

In this case, the modeling retrogrades and then moves the anticyclone southward right up until the storm date. If this is accurate, there will be NO trend north last minute. Also, the scenario has evolved away from having to rely on a phase for you guys to get the snow. Between these two points, I'm now getting pretty excited for you guys. I'll have more in the days ahead of course but I like that the picture is growing less "phase-reliant" ...simple evolution is better than something like 2/8 for the Mid Atlantic.

Archived