Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received 3.2" here. Had to measure in about 5 different places and get an average.

Got some needles falling right now. Did not notice any evidence of freezing drizzle on the snow or in it. 

Maybe I can get another half inch from this back end slug.

10:1 ratio

Huh???

I thought all of the GR (and north) area had at least 6-8" back on the 7th/8th. I know Muskegon had up to 15". Heck, we even had up to 5" down here along the I-94 corridor..better check your stats.

I am a little south of GR.  Just 2 miles north of the Allegan County line.  We have had some good LES totals, but unless something happened the week I was on vacation (Last week of January through first weekend in February) we have only had LES in excess of 3".  I remember the GR folks and blackrock commenting on larger amounts, but we switched over to rain after a very promising start during that Feb storm you are referencing and that kept our totals in the 3 inch range.  Places just 5 miles north did better because they held on to snow instead of switching over.

Not much of anything, to be honest.  Although, you would think, by some folks reaction around here, it was GHD all over again. 

2.3", and that's pushing it.

I woke up and looked out on the front yard, and grass was still visible through the snow cover. No drizzle that I am aware of, the snow didn't have a crust on it.  This was a slight bit of snow, from a weakening winter storm, nothing more. (at least down here)

Not much of anything, to be honest.  Although, you would think, by some folks reaction around here, it was GHD all over again. 

2.3", and that's pushing it.

I woke up and looked out on the front yard, and grass was still visible through the snow cover. No drizzle that I am aware of, the snow didn't have a crust on it.  This was a slight bit of snow, from a weakening winter storm, nothing more. (at least down here)

? I don't think anybody is overreacting on here? Unless you are referring to "here" as Chicago. Isn't it your biggest snowfall of the winter?

LOT's 2-4 call looks like it worked out well.  the RPM/NAM/RAP were way too wet....again.

Probably would have been accurate if the dry air would not have been an issue.

Snow starting to kick up here again. Nice moderate pockets out to the west.

Gurnee is near Geos...you guys have a very different micro-climate over there.  I'm normally close to ORD unless their was a major lake influence.  So i'll ride 2.5" here.  It was hard to measure when I woke up because of excessive blowing off roof tops (which I suspect messes up a few unofficial city reports).

Maybe some lake enhancement here...-SN as I type this...

I am a little south of GR.  Just 2 miles north of the Allegan County line.  We have had some good LES totals, but unless something happened the week I was on vacation (Last week of January through first weekend in February) we have only had LES in excess of 3".  I remember the GR folks and blackrock commenting on larger amounts, but we switched over to rain after a very promising start during that Feb storm you are referencing and that kept our totals in the 3 inch range.  Places just 5 miles north did better because they held on to snow instead of switching over.

That storm had a pretty sharp cutoff gradient.  11" in the extreme NW corner of Kent County but only around 3.5" on the very southern end.  I had 9" around IMBY from that one, making it the biggest snowfall of the season.  However, there was also a clipper on Feb 1-2 that gave me about 8" of 25-30 ratio snow.  The snowdepth on the ground briefly exceeded a foot after those two storms with minimal melting in between.  Most of that melted away over the past week and a half.  Though the piles and bigger drifts were still around, this mornings snow fell on mostly bare ground here.

Nice storm here, especially as models had less than 0.10" qpf here until 24 hours or so before the storm. Once again, an overperformer (though a match with the last minute model trends). Ended up with 3.1" snow on 0.31" liquid imby, a FAR higher impact snowfall than the previous several 2-3" type snowfalls. Lasted less than 4 hours and the snow was like sand. Roads an absolute nightmare as it was dense 10-1 ratio snow but the surface was so cold there was absolutely no melting on the roads. Between drifting and tire tracks, the roads were very rutted with snow. Side note, I cant believe we got about what Chicago got. They were supposed to get 3-4 times more than us. Really isnt their winter.

3450-800.jpg

3451-800.jpg

3452-800.jpg

3453-800.jpg

3454-800.jpg

3455-800.jpg

3456-800.jpg

3457-800.jpg

3458-800.jpg

3459-800.jpg

Nice storm here, especially as models had less than 0.10" qpf here until 24 hours or so before the storm. Once again, an overperformer (though a match with the last minute model trends). Ended up with 3.1" snow on 0.31" liquid imby, a FAR higher impact snowfall than the previous several 2-3" type snowfalls. Lasted less than 4 hours and the snow was like sand. Roads an absolute nightmare as it was dense 10-1 ratio snow but the surface was so cold there was absolutely no melting on the roads. Between drifting and tire tracks, the roads were very rutted with snow. Side note, I cant believe we got about what Chicago got. They were supposed to get 3-4 times more than us. Really isnt their winter.

3450-800.jpg

3451-800.jpg

3452-800.jpg

3453-800.jpg

3454-800.jpg

3455-800.jpg

3456-800.jpg

3457-800.jpg

3458-800.jpg

3459-800.jpg

Storm underwhelms in Chicago, strengthens to give Josh his 3"+, and then completely dies before reaching me. lolololol 

Archived