Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Umm. Who here said 4-6? :huh:

The issue is you claiming GRR is/will be wrong with their 1-2 call.

I never said they will be wrong, I'm agreeing that they are going to be more accurate with totals than most on here. I think GRR, DTX, and IWX have a good handle on accums.

I sense major wish-casting with some and that's fine. Everyone on this thread is entitled to their opinion, right? After all it is a public forum and we are all meteorological enthusiasts.

I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree with me, I'm not trolling. I'm throwing my two cents out just like the rest of you.

General reminder, please try to back up your calls with something. It's always helpful to have some reasoning especially if your call goes against most models/trends.

The radar and note wasn't enough of a reasoning?

Are we really going to start making a big deal over a "prediction"?

Looks like the lack of snow has got some of us on edge. We will see in the morning who got what... Not that its a competition or a finger pointer. I'm all for more snow too, but I don't appreciate the down talk to a newer member and his predictions. No different than anyone of your predictions at one time or another. End of story.

Snow on.

GRR and DTX might be spot on with this storm system.

I feel 1-2" is a good forecast, but may be overdone. At this point an inch or less would seem most likely with drizzle being the main player.

Hate to say it but they are probably being optimistic with 1-2".

I never said they will be wrong, I'm agreeing that they are going to be more accurate with totals than most on here. I think GRR, DTX, and IWX have a good handle on accums. I sense major wish-casting with some and that's fine. Everyone on this thread is entitled to their opinion, right? After all it is a public forum and we are all meteorological enthusiasts. I'm not asking anyone to agree or disagree with me, I'm not trolling. I'm throwing my two cents out just like the rest of you.

Those were your own words. :unsure:

The radar and note wasn't enough of a reasoning? Are we really going to start making a big deal over a "prediction"? Looks like the lack of snow has got some of us on edge. We will see in the morning who got what... Not that its a competition or a finger pointer. I'm all for more snow too, but I don't appreciate the down talk to a newer member and his predictions. No different than anyone of your predictions at one time or another. End of story. Snow on.

People took issue with what you had posted prior to the radar shot. Such stuff ( making baseless calls with no reasoning ) has been frowned upon here since the beginning. Usually nothing is said at first ( figure people will get a feel for how the board works first ) when that is done but continually doing the same over and over ( doesn't matter if you constantly call for a blizzard/feet of snow or flurries ) then something is said.

Those were your own words. :unsure:

Ok, let's not be critical, Harry. This is no time for romance.

A prediction is a best guess by someone which has some experience in the topic... Technically there's no such thing as a wrong answer. Yes some will be wrong and some right. I'm sure some on here have predicted 10", then a couple of hours later 8", couple hours later 6"... etc.

Things change with time. I was and am on the fence with Total accumulations by morning, due to current radar trends, sleet reports, and a general weakening trend in the system.

With the snow becoming more showery here I doubt we see much more than maybe another inch.  Haven't measured but eyeballing it looks like about 1.5" so far.

Surprised to hear about the sleet reports up there by Chicago.  Didn't know sleet was gonna make it that far north.

Cyclone, I can't explain why, but I can tell you I've seen it time and time again, in top down saturation cases like this the p-type will start out as sleet despite the entire column being below freezing. I'd love for someone smarter than me to explain to me how this is physically possible, but I honestly cannot count how many times I've seen it happen and I even talked with my co-workers on Sunday about that being the case for this event. 

People took issue with what you had posted prior to the radar shot. Such stuff ( making baseless calls with no reasoning ) has been frowned upon here since the beginning. Usually nothing is said at first ( figure people will get a feel for how the board works first ) when that is done but continually doing the same over and over ( doesn't matter if you constantly call for a blizzard/feet of snow or flurries ) then something is said.

I understand. Im a bit of a busy guy, up at all hours of the night and running a business during the day. Sometimes I don't have the time to write a lengthy discussion of why whats going on. This is my hobby.

This isn't my first rodeo with forums, but speculations on a member with 80 posts and trolling is little ridiculous in my eyes. Doesn't matter.

People don't want to read about this. They want to see snow, talk about it and enjoy it. So that's what I'm going to do.

The radar and note wasn't enough of a reasoning?Are we really going to start making a big deal over a "prediction"? Looks like the lack of snow has got some of us on edge. We will see in the morning who got what... Not that its a competition or a finger pointer. I'm all for more snow too, but I don't appreciate the down talk to a newer member and his predictions. No different than anyone of your predictions at one time or another. End of story. Snow on.

I hadn't seen that particular post before I made mine, but since you mentioned it, it was a good start. A lot of people would probably disagree with your interpretation but at least you tried to explain yourself. Like you said, we'll see what happens.

I hadn't seen that particular post before I made mine, but since you mentioned it, it was a good start. A lot of people would probably disagree with your interpretation but at least you tried to explain yourself. Like you said, we'll see what happens.

I see. I guess I didn't realize most on here were professional meteorologists.

I apologize. I won't post anymore until I go back to college for 4 more years and major in atmospheric science.

I have disagreed and agreed with many on this forum, but I don't call them out on it. It's not my place. It's a public meteorological forum.

To the most with snow win! Still cloudy here in Ceresco, nothing quite yet but looks like its right around the corner.

I understand. Im a bit of a busy guy, up at all hours of the night and running a business during the day. Sometimes I don't have the time to write a lengthy discussion of why whats going on. This is my hobby. This isn't my first rodeo with forums, but speculations on a member with 80 posts and trolling is little ridiculous in my eyes. Doesn't matter. People don't want to read about this. They want to see snow, talk about it and enjoy it. So that's what I'm going to do.

Have had a few who were just that. Usually post in the same style and continue to do it even after something is said/hints thrown around.

I see. I guess I didn't realize most on here were professional meteorologists.

I apologize. I won't post anymore until I go back to college for 4 more years and major in atmospheric science.

I have disagreed and agreed with many on this forum, but I don't call them out on it. It's not my place. It's a public meteorological forum.

To the most with snow win! Still cloudy here in Ceresco, nothing quite yet but looks like its right around the corner.

We are all not claiming to be meteorologist. You are missing the point. ALL viewpoints are welcome. Just offer a little something to back them. I don't think that is asking too much? If not sure then ask. OBS are always welcome as well. :)

I took around 7 grass measurements and came up with an average of ~1.6".  Plenty of drifting making it difficult though.

Mostly still sleet and snow grains right now though, which makes me think that it was more so overly-aggressive WAA aloft, and less so dry air that's killing us.

Archived