February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close enough FWA: 1.4"

Bust high IKK: 3.4" 

Bust low IND: 0.1" (mix) 

Good LAF: 1.0" (mix) lean warmer profile, but intense burst of SN/PL gets it done...and i round up  :D

Good MKE: 3.9"

Bust high MLI: 5.5"

Bust high MSN: 4.4"

Bust high ORD: 3.7"

Bust high RFD: 4.2"

No idea SBN: 2.2"

Bust low STL: 3.0" (mix) highly bust-able, in either direction

Grading my last call. 3 good calls, 2 busts low, and 5 busts high. Pretty bad performance. F+, final grade.

i am about 45 minutes north of Wrigley with no traffic...measured in 4 spots and averaged

Gurnee is near Geos...you guys have a very different micro-climate over there.  I'm normally close to ORD unless their was a major lake influence.  So i'll ride 2.5" here.  It was hard to measure when I woke up because of excessive blowing off roof tops (which I suspect messes up a few unofficial city reports).

A very drifty 3.4" of snow here so far today. Basically has been dropping 1"/hr rates through the entire storm so far, with just a little left to go. Visibility keeps bouncing between 1/4 mi. and 3/4 mi.

Nice. Havent measured as of yet because the backedge is approaching but its probably  in the same ballpark. Its been snowing for LESS than 3 hours and we went from bare ground (few isolated ancient snice piles and minor skiffs of snow) to a blanket of drifty powder.

For a storm that was pretty much written off this may end up being our largest synoptic snow of the year.  It won't touch some of the LES we have had, but if it tops 3" I believe it may move into first place for non lake effect snow.

Huh???

I thought all of the GR (and north) area had at least 6-8" back on the 7th/8th. I know Muskegon had up to 15". Heck, we even had up to 5" down here along the I-94 corridor..better check your stats.

Mom confirmed hearing some thunder overnight. Dad with a weenie measurement of 2.5-3.0" up there.

A couple of pics my ride this morning. Decent enough glaze of ice, sleet, and snow...had to do some work chipping out.

attachicon.gifhttp://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=91065'>photo-5.JPG

[img=https://www.amwx.us/public/style_images/American_Weather/attachicon.gif] photo-6.JPG

Man, you guys just can't get much straight snow down there. My friend moved to LAF this year from hre and she said the winter is definitely different there.

Archived