joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2013 OBS

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went on a snow run today and boy did I get my money's worth! Started up 985 and got just past Gainesville, GA and it started really coming down. Probably a dusting to 1 inch through there. Lightened up through Clayton and Rabun Gap but they had a similar amount on the ground. Nearly nothing as I approached the south side of Franklin, NC but that was when the fun started. Took the 441 bypass and headed for Cherokee, NC and as I approached the mountain climb to Dillard white out conditions rapidly began. In a matter of 1000 yds the pavement went from wet to slush to probably 2 inches of snow cover. Multiple vehicles going the opposite direction where in the middle of the road just spinning the tires. More of the same on the Smokey Mtn highway towards Asheville but the roads turned back to just wet at the I40 junction. Definitely got my fill of the white stuff for this winter.

Went on a snow run today and boy did I get my money's worth! Started up 985 and got just past Gainesville, GA and it started really coming down. Probably a dusting to 1 inch through there. Lightened up through Clayton and Rabun Gap but they had a similar amount on the ground. Nearly nothing as I approached the south side of Franklin, NC but that was when the fun started. Took the 441 bypass and headed for Cherokee, NC and as I approached the mountain climb to Dillard white out conditions rapidly began. In a matter of 1000 yds the pavement went from wet to slush to probably 2 inches of snow cover. Multiple vehicles going the opposite direction where in the middle of the road just spinning the tires. More of the same on the Smokey Mtn highway towards Asheville but the roads turned back to just wet at the I40 junction. Definitely got my fill of the white stuff for this winter.

sounds like you came thru early. Instead of heading towards sylva you should have taken a left on 64 west. You will cross over winding stairs gap at 3500 and I bet they came out good. From there if you continue down the mtn you will be in hayesvill which is about 30 mins from elijay.

Atlanta is socked in with fog this morning. Lots of wrecks and very slow traffic. This is the worst fog I've seen in quite some time... at least a year if not more.

My dad was a NJ State Trooper back in the day. He patrolled the turnpike for several years. He used to say that the fog in the meadowlands would get so thick you could shovel it.

is that a cam at you place? What is your elevation?

Not at my place but nearby.

Cam is on backside of Grandfather Mountain off NC105 around 4470'.

http://jdscabin.dyndns.org:8723/

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MAP341&day=07&month=02&year=2013

Last report from W4SSP-2 received 9 minutes 59 seconds ago

Wind from 153 degrees @ 10.0 MPH Gusts to 12.0 MPH   Temp 31F  Humidity 99%  Dewpoint 30F   Pressure 1022.9 mb 

Lucky!  Keep us up to date on how much you get up there...that's cool :)

Not at my place but nearby.

Cam is on backside of Grandfather Mountain off NC105 around 4470'.

http://jdscabin.dyndns.org:8723/

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MAP341&day=07&month=02&year=2013

Last report from W4SSP-2 received 9 minutes 59 seconds ago
Wind from 153 degrees @ 10.0 MPH Gusts to 12.0 MPH   Temp 31F  Humidity 99%  Dewpoint 30F   Pressure 1022.9 mb 

From GSP

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY/...

AS OF 7 PM...E/SE LOW LEVEL FLOW HAS RESULTED IN SUFFICIENT COOLING

OF THE LOW LEVEL AIR MASS TO PRODUCE A DEEP NEAR-FREEZING ISOTHERMAL

LAYER ACROSS THE NORTHERN MTNS. WE HAVE RECEIVED MULTIPLE REPORTS OF

ACCUMULATING SNOW...MAINLY ALONG/NEAR THE EASTERN ESCARPMENT.

ALTHOUGH THE WIDESPREAD/WARM CONVEYOR BELT PRECIP IS GRADUALLY

LIFTING AWAY FROM THIS AREA...AREAS OF LIGHT TO MODERATE PRECIP

CONTINUE TO DEVELOP WITHIN AN INVERTED SURFACE TROUGH NEAR THE

NC/TENN BORDER (LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE ALONG THIS TROUGH MAY BE

RESULTING IN A BAND OF LOW LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS). AS THE FLOW

GRADUALLY BACKS WITH TIME...IN RESPONSE TO DEEPENING SURFACE LOW

MOVING UP THE CAROLINA COAST...SLIGHTLY WARMER AIR IS EXPECTED TO

FILTER INTO THE AREA...AND THESE AREAS SHOULD BEGIN TO GRADUALLY

WARM OVERNIGHT. IN THE INTERIM...IT APPEARS THAT ADVISORY CRITERIA

SNOW IS LIKELY...AT LEAST ACROSS AVERY COUNTY...SO AN ADVISORY WAS

ISSUED EARLIER FOR 1-3 INCHES.

Things are going to have to get going soon for us to get to our 1/2-3/4" (formerly 3/4-1")  expected overnight. Currently measuring misty drizzles in the gauge.

You'll get your rain, there's a pretty impressive batch of moisture in SC right now tracking towards your area. So far this storm has been gnarly in Wilmington! Rain has been coming down in sheets at some times today. Wind has been blowing consistently from the NE at 20mph with gusts 30+. I've already got about 1" in the gauge, and there's more to come. A nor-easter at its finest.

Archived