• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

I'm not a fan of it personally. Honestly I don't understand the point of arguing this anymore as people like what they like and aren't going to bend either way. The only thing I hate is boring weather so like I said I have no real stake in this as there is going to something here either way.

I don't even know what you're all arguing about. Just decided to jump in late. Carry on.

Oh, and fook heat and drought. :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even know what you're all arguing about. Just decided to jump in late. Carry on.

Oh, and fook heat and drought. :D

it is about people rooting on boring weather to maintain their limited snow pack that are going to sublime and settle before this system even hits.

it is about people rooting on boring weather to maintain their limited snow pack that are going to sublime and settle before this system even hits.

King has spoken again.  and lol at we're rooting for boring weather, what could be more boring than another garden variety soaker in winter.  Now if we're going to get good thunder like last week bring it on... but  a boring light rain...   give me sun.

I'm a winter guy, so I respect those wishes. It matters to those who enjoy winter activities in places like MI, MN, and WI. 

Drought, heat and flooding rains. Just like there is ice storms and wind in the snow season.

I find wind events to be the most exciting. I love synoptic wind events, blizzards, derechos, microbursts, sideways rain, etc.

As a home owner I'm gradually beginning to hate wind. Seems I'm getting shingles fixed or replacing something that gets destroyed.

Regardless, what happens.... Happens.. all the hate I have for big wind events isn't going to stop them.

Late summer into fall talk is riveting. 

It's a two season board in this sub-forum, winter and severe. What else is there?

I would agree, but in my case I've enjoyed some of the garden variety t'storms as much as anything.  The only thing that gets me about the t'storms is when a lake breeze or timing causes intense storms to crap the bed right as it approaches the shore.

As a home owner I'm gradually beginning to hate wind. Seems I'm getting shingles fixed or replacing something that gets destroyed. Regardless, what happens.... Happens.. all the hate I have for big wind events isn't going to stop them.

Be glad that you live in SE Michigan then. This might be an inaccurate statement, but it seems like Michigan experiences the least extreme weather compared to other states. I'm not saying they don't happen, but we usually don't have national headline generating events happening here yearly. We are hardly at the forefront of any big system that does move through the region, and when it does happen, it's rare and isolated like the Dexter tornado last spring. How often does the SPC issue high risks in Michigan? Hell, even getting a mod risk, or getting more than a foot of snow is like pulling teeth.

If you hate extreme weather events, and can take 3-4 months of cold, you'd love my neighborhood.

lol.

And for the record, I can do without a drought, unless its evolution impacts any money I may have invested in Corn/Wheat futures.

And also, the last week or two have reaffirmed how much I hate these pennybag events and long-lasting snowcover. Nothing's fun about having to use a snow shovel for 1" of snow every 6-12 hours and dealing with side streets where there isn't enough snow for good tire traction yet enough snow where you're slipping and sliding.

As far as rainstorms, at least there are potential storms to track and SOMEONE in the region will be impacted by the bigger snows.

lol.

And for the record, I can do without a drought, unless its evolution impacts any money I may have invested in Corn/Wheat futures.

And also, the last week or two have reaffirmed how much I hate these pennybag events and long-lasting snowcover. Nothing's fun about having to use a snow shovel for 1" of snow every 6-12 hours and dealing with side streets where there isn't enough snow for good tire traction yet enough snow where you're slipping and sliding.

As far as rainstorms, at least there are potential storms to track and SOMEONE in the region will be impacted by the bigger snows.

I agree with this, these "penny and nickel" events as I like to call them (almost too small to call nickel and dime, the 1-2" events that are becoming all too common this winter) are more than they're worth.  That's part of why I like the big storms.  Even if they're even more impactful, at least the exciting moderate to heavy snow is worth it.

Be glad that you live in SE Michigan then. This might be an inaccurate statement, but it seems like Michigan experiences the least extreme weather compared to other states. I'm not saying they don't happen, but we usually don't have national headline generating events happening here yearly. We are hardly at the forefront of any big system that does move through the region, and when it does happen, it's rare and isolated like the Dexter tornado last spring. How often does the SPC issue high risks in Michigan? Hell, even getting a mod risk, or getting more than a foot of snow is like pulling teeth.

If you hate extreme weather events, and can take 3-4 months of cold, you'd love my neighborhood.

Per my high risk thread, there were 9 high risk days in any part of Michigan from 1989-2011. Detroit has had 3.

Wow this thread has gone off course and turned into quite an interesting discussion. I get the sense that people think us snowcover lovers want to get a snowstorm in November and then have the snowpack last the winter with no new snow. Rrrrrright. Snowcover with FREQUENT refresher snowfall is what we want. Its WINTER, some just don't get it. To each their own. ME personally, I just don't get whats so exciting about watching a computer all week to track a storm then when the storm GETS here you are so tired from tracking all week you go to bed as soon as the storms over. And for all the hate that is given to snowcover here, I sure hear lots of moaning when a torch is coming or a snowfall followed by torch is forecast. And when we got a 6"+ storm here in Dec, in fact a Christmas week thump, that was followed by several weeks of no new snow I hear plenty of moans and groans about NO new snow, and now that the daily nickel and dime snowfall and snowcover hits some moan about that. Not that it matters, weather can NEVER please all of the people all of the time. Here it barely pleases some of the people some of the time :lol:

Anyway...back on topic, only got 0.3" here today, missed all the heavy bands. DTX is saying 2-3" tomorrow and after lowballing accum forecasts all week I say they are too high...its looking more like an inch, though I hope Im wrong. Tuesdays clipper now looks more interesting.

Archived