• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

Insane. Picked up 1.6" in under 45mins. +SN still ongoing. Flake size is epic!

WOW. Whats your total on the day? As I said we have had light snow falling here for about 12 hours and have totaled 1.5" so far, half of the 3.1" the lake squalls gave us Thur/Fri. If that band holds as it moves south.....FINGERS CROSSED!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Looks another band developing behind the weakening one. But not sure why these are weakening as they cross i94.

Its not so much that its weakening, it appears to be consolidating from a mod-heavy snow blob more into a summer-squall-like line and is now orienting itself SW to NE rather than training west to east as it had been.

Nice pic!

Today wasn't as warm as predicted. About 19° here today. Already down to 8° with 4" of snow on the ground. Got the opportunity to see the snowscapes between here and Milwaukee near the lake and noticed some ice flows off Racine harbor. Lots of ice mounded up in spots along the lake. Filtered sun came out for awhile in Milwaukee with mid teens being the rule.

Car is at it's dirtiest/saltiest it's been all winter! Doesn't even look blue anymore!

As I was updating my sig I realized....I have already surpassed last winters TOTAL snowfall (25.5") on February 2nd this winter (I surpassed last winters snowcover days on I believe January 23). This winter is leaps and bounds better than last, at least here.

Few pics tonight (I posted these in clipper thread). Very dry fluffy powder making for a velvety winter wonderland

3409-800.jpg

3410-800.jpg

3411-800.jpg

3412-800.jpg

3413-800.jpg

3414-800.jpg

As far as the clipper systems go, they will likely have more moisture over ORD than MSP so if the mean low tracks through MSP to ORD I would expect more snow in Chicago than Minneapolis through the 1st 8 days of Feb.  After that it may be a bit to cold to see a major storm here in MPS.  So here goes.......Gulp!!! snowfall for MSP in Feb 7.9"  for ORD 11.7".  Confidence factor here in MSP  is average. Confidence at ORD is below average, if I bust at ORD it will because I was to low, and if I am low there it will be big time low bust.

Don't want to jinx things, so I won't use the s***m word, but I'm not surprised at the move south from the GEM,GFS for next weekend. With both of them showing a -EPO at the time the system was progged to be in MN or WI, I expected that jump to the south.  With EPO signal being somewhat weak I don't see to much of move south from this track, maybe 100 -150 miles is all.  The Euro was still showing a +EPO for next weekend, my best gut instinct is that it will come north of the other two with the 03/0z run, but will get there eventually.....GFS seems to have the hot hand right now....If I do bust low at ORD.........hmmmm

edit....that was monthly snowfall

IMO, this system for next weekend is fascinating to watch as it evolves according to the models, the Euro develops the upper level low over the lee side of the Rockies with a surface low aimed squarely at MN, then it sheers out the upper level low on a SW to NE orientation kicking the surface to the SE where it picks up a slug of gulf moisture, it eventually brings it north and puts a big hurt on ARX to EAU with MSP on the northwestern side. The final track of this thing  will be fascinating to watch as it unfolds.

Can you say I-94 corridor ftw? I mean its 30:1 fluffy snow so it settles, but the last few days it has felt like we live near a lake snow belt. And I love it!

Jan 31-Feb 2 snowfall accumulations:

ARB: 10.5" (Season to date 34.8") current depth 5"
DTW: 5.7" (Season to date 24.9") current depth 4"

MBY: 6.2" (Season to date 26.2") current depth 4"

Since Dec 21st (44 days) I have accumulated 25.8" of snow, not bad at all. I keep saying this winter is not good but not bad. If trends keep up, while it wont fall into the great category (snowcover-depleting torches ftl), it certainly looks like it may fall into the good category.

With yesterdays snowfall, DTW is now ABOVE normal to date.

Seriously lacking big storms is a black mark for this winter. If we do get one between now and Mar 1st it will bump this winter into good for me.

You are finding ways to keep moving the goal posts. Should be happy with what we have gotten considering how pretty much everyone around us has been screwed except Central WI and NW Lower MI.

You are finding ways to keep moving the goal posts. Should be happy with what we have gotten considering how pretty much everyone around us has been screwed except Central WI and NW Lower MI.

I am happy with the turnaround we have seen. Just wouldn't mind a big system. Even better would be a region wide share the wealth.

We'll all have some opportunities if that mid-month block/monster ridge just off the west coast takes shape. So far, all of the major globals and (almost universally) their ensembles develop this ridge and push a broad PV down over central Canada. Potentially a pretty sweet setup as long as the PV doesn't drift too far south and crush everything.

We'll all have some opportunities if that mid-month block/monster ridge just off the west coast takes shape. So far, all of the major globals and (almost universally) their ensembles develop this ridge and push a broad PV down over central Canada. Potentially a pretty sweet setup as long as the PV doesn't drift too far south and crush everything.

That NW/SE oriented band of snow that went through your area last night looks pretty sweet on vis this morning.

Time sensitive.

wisgif32.jpg

It was. Probably the best short-duration event I've seen. It wasn't more than 75 minutes from start to finish, but I got 3" out of it.

Events like that, or a lake effect whiteout, often see more impressive snowfall rates than your typical 10-12" storm. They just often get overlooked because of the total fall of snow.

Archived