Newest Member
    joxey
February 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What will February bring us??

Based on the latest runs of the GEM and Euro ensemble means through Feb.10  the biggest feature on the maps appears to be a rather consistent western ridge which should keep the PNA in a + state. Which in my mind would leave us a neutral to slightly negative EPO.  I happen to believe that the operational models are to bullish on developing a positive EPO, so therefore I believe we will be in a predominant NW flow.

00zallepo.gif 

The ensemble means are showing 850mb temps in the source region to be near normal to slightly below normal.

00zCMCENS11-15day850mbTempAnomalyNA.gif

Looking at the MJO. The ECMWF from 01/25 thru 2/25 takes the signal through phase 8 all the way into phase 4, as a matter of fact, for this far out in a ensemble means forecast, that is quite a strong signal and may get stronger as time progresses:

EMON_phase_51m_full.gif

Temperature trends for each of the phases:

combined_image.png

For February I expect temps here at MSP to run about -3.  That should be driven mostly by night time lows as the ave low temp here raises from 8° to 18° by the end of the month. Daytime highs may be just slightly below normal.

For the rest of the sub forum I would expect that Central WI will see about the same as MSP.  The Northern OH valley including southern WI should see temps about 1 to 2 below normal, the Central OH valley near normal to slightly below normal and the southern OH valley to be near normal.  The UP and Lower MI around -3 to -2.

As far as precipitation goes here is what the different MJO phases show:

combined_image.png

I would expect the first half of February to be rather benign as far as precipitation.  However as we transition from phase 3 to phase 4 somewhere around the 20th of the month, based on temp and precip signals I expect the end of February to be rather active. At this time it's to early to say for certain if most of the sub forum will see a back loaded winter with snow, or a early start to the severe season, best guess though would be snow in the northern areas and possible severe in the far southern reaches.   

I'll take the risk of MJO going

What will February bring us??

Based on the latest runs of the GEM and Euro ensemble means through Feb.10  the biggest feature on the maps appears to be a rather consistent western ridge which should keep the PNA in a + state. Which in my mind would leave us a neutral to slightly negative EPO.  I happen to believe that the operational models are to bullish on developing a positive EPO, so therefore I believe we will be in a predominant NW flow.

00zallepo.gif

The ensemble means are showing 850mb temps in the source region to be near normal to slightly below normal.

00zCMCENS11-15day850mbTempAnomalyNA.gif

Looking at the MJO. The ECMWF from 01/25 thru 2/25 takes the signal through phase 8 all the way into phase 4, as a matter of fact, for this far out in a ensemble means forecast, that is quite a strong signal and may get stronger as time progresses:

EMON_phase_51m_full.gif

Temperature trends for each of the phases:

combined_image.png

For February I expect temps here at MSP to run about -3.  That should be driven mostly by night time lows as the ave low temp here raises from 8° to 18° by the end of the month. Daytime highs may be just slightly below normal.

For the rest of the sub forum I would expect that Central WI will see about the same as MSP.  The Northern OH valley including southern WI should see temps about 1 to 2 below normal, the Central OH valley near normal to slightly below normal and the southern OH valley to be near normal.  The UP and Lower MI around -3 to -2.

As far as precipitation goes here is what the different MJO phases show:

combined_image.png

I would expect the first half of February to be rather benign as far as precipitation.  However as we transition from phase 3 to phase 4 somewhere around the 20th of the month, based on temp and precip signals I expect the end of February to be rather active. At this time it's to early to say for certain if most of the sub forum will see a back loaded winter with snow, or a early start to the severe season, best guess though would be snow in the northern areas and possible severe in the far southern reaches.   

I'll take the risk of getting the MJO into phase 4 if it'll set up a gradient pattern and more opportunities for southern stream moisture to get advected into the Lakes. Might produce a number of slop storms but anything's better than the cold and dry the GFS has been painting in fantasy land for a number of runs now.

I'll take the risk of MJO going

I'll take the risk of getting the MJO into phase 4 if it'll set up a gradient pattern and more opportunities for southern stream moisture to get advected into the Lakes. Might produce a number of slop storms but anything's better than the cold and dry the GFS has been painting in fantasy land for a number of runs now.

Agreed.

Archived