EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Jan 25th Winter Weather Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As darkness falls, there's a thick freezing fog covering the mountains above 1,400 feet. I can only imagine what I-40 must be like trying to get over the escarpment at Old Fort into Black Mountain. Never saw the sun here, and the temp has dropped back to 26. Three inch icicles are all around the roof, and the car has them as well. Nothing on the trees at all. Only room for one car under the carport. Bummer! Looks like the northern Piedmont got the worst of it. So much for the "Wrath of.....".

Temp has still failed to rise above 25.0 F here at the house.  Currently at 24.8 F.  No sun.  All clouds.  Just took the kids skating in the driveway and street.  It's a total sheet.  I don't know how anyone would dare drive on it.  It's pretty amazing how that cool dense air gets trapped down here and can't escape.  I see Boone is already at 32 F and Jefferson's up to 34 F.  You gotta love a true CAD!!

Temp has still failed to rise above 25.0 F here at the house.  Currently at 24.8 F.  No sun.  All clouds.  Just took the kids skating in the driveway and street.  It's a total sheet.  I don't know how anyone would dare drive on it.  It's pretty amazing how that cool dense air gets trapped down here and can't escape.  I see Boone is already at 32 F and Jefferson's up to 34 F.  You gotta love a true CAD!!

Yeah, this is the best CAD I can remember in years and years... Very impressive stuff!

I hazarded a drive to the local McDonald's here to get something to eat and the drive wasn't too bad (it is only just outside my neighborhood). However, we got a lot of sleet, which has kept the street from turning into a complete sheet of ice and provides a surprising amount of traction. I suspect things may take a turn for the worse overnight, though.

Great video, by the way!

Yeah, this is the best CAD I can remember in years and years... Very impressive stuff!

I hazarded a drive to the local McDonald's here to get something to eat and the drive wasn't too bad (it is only just outside my neighborhood). However, we got a lot of sleet, which has kept the street from turning into a complete sheet of ice and provides a surprising amount of traction. I suspect things may take a turn for the worse overnight, though.

Great video, by the way!

Thanks!  I don't exactly relish losing power, so this was a decent event for minimal long-term effect.  But it's also kinda of fun (in a weird way, I know) to have to "rough it" for a few days without the power during a great winter storm.  I've got the gas logs for heating the main living area and the gas stove for cooking.  We can bundle everyone up and camp out in the living room for a day or two.  I remember having to do that several times growing up, and we all made it through okay.  Maybe I won't relish it so much now that I'm the dad and not the kid.  I dunno.

Archived