joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 25th Winter Weather Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mountains are going above freezing tonight...reports of snow/sleet melting rapidly in spots. 

Meanwhile sitting here at the bottom of the mountain at 25.

35 Sparta

38 Spruce Pine

41 Black Mountain

Yeah, and meanwhile it is also in the mid 20's on the higher mtn peaks. These strong Cad events can cause some strange temperature inversions.

34 degrees at my house. Still socked in -- low clouds continue to block the sun and defy the forecast, which had called for burn-off by mid-morning. Not happnin' so far.

Storm total liquid equivalent (from a heated Vantage Pro two miles up the road): .38". It was mostly freezing rain, with some sleet and just a little snow the first half-hour after onset. The glaze on the flora looks thicker than one tenth of an inch, but not quite two tenths. This storm stopped just short of being destructive. Perfect.

Roads in western Pitt County mostly clear and dry.

42 consecutive hours below freezing as per Chapel Hill's obs in this area. It is just now climbing above. Yesterday's high was 28.

Basically, the same here.  6 PM on 1/24 I went below freezing and made it back above at 11:40 AM today (1/26).  That's 41 hours and 40 minutes below freezing.  Nice!  Currently, I'm basking in the warmth of 33.2 F.  No sun.  Lots of clouds.  Calm winds.

Archived