northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Jan 25th Winter Weather Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a ZR/IP mixture up my way.  Things are really looking ugly out there.

I'm not used to seeing freezing rain actually cause problems on the roads, but with temperatures near 20, that changes things...  I'm hoping we can switch back to more IP, but we'll see.

When I was a kid in North Jersey we would sometimes put on our ice skates and skate around the neighborhood when an ice storm hit. You really can't drive in it.

That's the problem with using amounts as the criteria instead of potential impact.

Based on radar trends and the SPC disco you would think RAH would look into upgrading from a WWA for most of its area, models are talking ,30-.40" ice and sleet that would be warning criteria just about anywhere I would think. Same for us here temps in the upper 20's DP in the mid to upper teens we are not going to get above 32 at this point and models call for .25-.40" of QPF that is significant amount of ice. Also with all the damaged trees and broken limbs still in trees from Irene it could get really nasty here. 

That's the problem with using amounts as the criteria instead of potential impact.

This is very true.

Also, about driving on ice.

Lets say you're some sort of IceDriving Ninja, which you most likely aren't....and I don't care if you have a Subaru.

Just remember, the people hurtling down the other side of the highway probably don't possess your ninja skills set .

Based on radar trends and the SPC disco you would think RAH would look into upgrading from a WWA for most of its area, models are talking ,30-.40" ice and sleet that would be warning criteria just about anywhere I would think. Same for us here temps in the upper 20's DP in the mid to upper teens we are not going to get above 32 at this point and models call for .25-.40" of QPF that is significant amount of ice. Also with all the damaged trees and broken limbs still in trees from Irene it could get really nasty here. 

I agree, seems we will easily see up to 0.25 glaze in at least some areas.

Archived