• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs: Tracking the Arctic Front, Jan 20-22 (MD/NOVA)

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to say I'd trust the NAM for this, but its hard. GFS has lower res and this event will be hard to pick out the small batch of snow.

Definitely lean toward the NAM. This is more like a summer line of storms line than a synoptic winter storm.

Approx high temp forecasts for Sun/Mon:

Albany 37/19

Boston  46/29

Chicago  19/09

Dallas  66/49

Des Moines  20/11

Fargo   -04/-12

Harrisburg  42/29

Hartford  42/27

KC  38/23

MKE  16/06

Minneapolis  07/-07

OK City  56/39

Portland, Me.  42/23

STL  36/20

Montreal  35/-02

Toronto 24/11

My temp is already higher than forecast today....50 now 47 was forecast.....40 for tomorrow...add about 5 degrees to any high temps this week I bet...someone should start a contest asking if DCA has a high below 32 this week. My guess is no

My temp is already higher than forecast today....50 now 47 was forecast.....40 for tomorrow...add about 5 degrees to any high temps this week I bet...someone should start a contest asking if DCA has a high below 32 this week. My guess is no

Yea dave, we've ran either too high on cold shots or too low during the heat ie last weeks supposed torch ruined by fog and rains.

Yeah, funny how we now call a benign week of near normal temps a "cold shot." It will soon be a very rare occurrence when DCA gets below freezing.

Yeah, funny how we now call a benign week of near normal temps a "cold shot." It will soon be a very rare occurrence when DCA gets below freezing.

Precisely phin, and the GW monguls can rear their heads all they want, it might be real maybe not. I call it climate change, patterns change, upper air connections, that sort of thing. Climo is just being altered by a long term climate change, somewheres probably getting colder in correspondence with our warmer changes. Or its a cycle, but that debate is for another thread.

As for this front, the temps will only be so impressive in complaince with the fact that the metro folks are simply not acquainted with good cold in the past few years, and really in the past decades. Cold like 85 and 94 is anamolous regardless of climo stats, but a chilly winter with AOB temps shouldn't be too much to ask for. Now I find the only time we get really cold is through a SSW and not all of those produce. This front will be "relatively" impressive because we're acclimating to the warmer temps, but nothing like what you've experienced or mitch/wes/bob have in the past years.

54 about 7 degrees over forecast

Mentioned in the over thread but I figured it was worth mentioning here too - 

temps often bust high ahead of strong fronts. This is especially the case with the stronger fronts. I still think the cold performs. Maybe not in an "extreme" fashion but we should still be pretty cold this coming week. 

55° at 2:00pm Sunday.

I recall driving from Annapolis to Columbia during an Arctic frontal passage (it seems like) about 10 yrs ago . It was in the 50s during the day.  Front came thru w/rain around 6:00pm with a bit of lightning/thunder, but precip turned fairly quick to snow as I was passing thru the BWI region.  Heavy non-stop snow for about 5 hrs left about 4" or 5" IMBY in Columbia. Lesser amounts down toward BWI as I recall.  By midnite it was clear and pretty darn cold.

Archived