joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Best snow locations in SNE

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ChrisM" data-cid="1976500" data-time="1357085505"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ian" data-cid="1976465" data-time="1357083747"><p><br />

NW CT is great for snow and not much else. ;)</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Right on!!</p></blockquote>

New Hartford is sorta close enough to things so it might be a good one.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ChrisM" data-cid="1976500" data-time="1357085505"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ian" data-cid="1976465" data-time="1357083747"><p><br />

NW CT is great for snow and not much else. ;)</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Right on!!</p></blockquote>

New Hartford is sorta close enough to things so it might be a good one.

Nwct is pretty boring but I love the quiet. I'm closer to goshen than nh though, about ten minutes from my house to your old hood

The Cape summer traffic would make me insane. If I had my dithers Bethel Maine, winter, Weekapaug RI summer.

Meh... I spend a lot of time on the Cape and even more time growing up at my grandparents house there. If you avoid the highways on weekends there's really no issue. I've never run into any problems. 

Its all about personal preference. I won't live somewhere like Florida, MA as amazing the snow would be.

But that place is probably the best spot for snow in SNE as defined by MA/CT/RI on where you can actually live. Mt. Greylock averages more, but you can't live on top of Mt. Greylock.

Its all about personal preference. I won't live somewhere like Florida, MA as amazing the snow would be.

But that place is probably the best spot for snow in SNE as defined by MA/CT/RI on where you can actually live. Mt. Greylock averages more, but you can't live on top of Mt. Greylock.

Yeah it is personal preference. I have no use for constant upslope snow unless I'm skiing everyday. There's nothing I love more than wind whipped paste so I really prefer much lower totals on the coast to higher fluff totals inland.

Yeah it is personal preference. I have no use for constant upslope snow unless I'm skiing everyday. There's nothing I love more than wind whipped paste so I really prefer much lower totals on the coast to higher fluff totals inland.

Yeah the upslope nickle and dime is much nicer when skiing. We got that stuff all the time during my days in Ithaca, NY and it nearly drove me insane. I was dying for a 12" paste bomb after a while. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the snow falling, but I def find myself loving it a lot more when I'm skiing or out doing winter sports.

I might think differently if I got 45" upslope events too to go with a 1-3" event every couple days.

Yeah the upslope nickle and dime is much nicer when skiing. We got that stuff all the time during my days in Ithaca, NY and it nearly drove me insane. I was dying for a 12" paste bomb after a while. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the snow falling, but I def find myself loving it a lot more when I'm skiing or out doing winter sports.

I might think differently if I got 45" upslope events too to go with a 1-3" event every couple days.

Yeah that's true lol.

I wouldn't mind milder temps with the possibility of a huge 20" paste bomb and hurricane force gusts from a nor'easter once or twice a winter than non-stop upslope flakes.

I'm not sure why some people perceive the Berkshires as really being in the sticks because it isn't. Even if you live someplace like Peru, Windsor, Florida, or Savoy you can be in Pittsfield or North Adams within 20 or 30 minutes tops. Pittsfield is a classic small city with about 40-45K people and has pretty much everything you need. It has undergone a lot of revitalization in the last 5 to 10 years and there are numerous shops and restaurants and a new movie theater. North Adams is a bit smaller, but still has quite a few services as well. I can be on the Mass Pike in 15 minutes and in Albany in under an hour. The eastern hill towns like Chesterfield and Shelburne are a short distance from I-91 and the Northampton, Springfield area.

While everyone's different, I like this area a lot and it's going to be very difficult to get me to leave this area. I do not like city life at all...long commutes, traffic, no parking, high cost of living, fast pace of life, etc. People probably pay more to rent a parking space in NYC or Boston than they do a nice apartment around here.

As I'm into ourdoorsy stuff and snow, I hope to one day move up to one of the weenie spots at 2K in the northern Berks or S VT. I really like the VT route 9 area between Bennington and Brattleboro. Wilmington is a great little town and does well in the snow department on the east side of the spine above 1.5K. They easily average around 125" a year up there considering I average around 75" a year.

It's a beautiful area, but seems like a desolate place outside of Northhampton. I mean at least in VT you have the ski towns that have great places and a good vibe...probably decent schools too I would imagine. 

I've never spent a lot of time in the Berks...but yeah, from what I've seen, it's pretty quiet up on the heights and away from the I-91 belt.  No quieter than here though--I live in probably one of Vermont's least touristy areas.  There's always a big hole right over this part of the state when looking at a map in any guidebook of VT.

I'm not sure why some people perceive the Berkshires as really being in the sticks because it isn't. Even if you live someplace like Peru, Windsor, Florida, or Savoy you can be in Pittsfield or North Adams within 20 or 30 minutes tops. Pittsfield is a classic small city with about 40-45K people and has pretty much everything you need. It has undergone a lot of revitalization in the last 5 to 10 years and there are numerous shops and restaurants and a new movie theater. North Adams is a bit smaller, but still has quite a few services as well. I can be on the Mass Pike in 15 minutes and in Albany in under an hour. The eastern hill towns like Chesterfield and Shelburne are a short distance from I-91 and the Northampton, Springfield area.

While everyone's different, I like this area a lot and it's going to be very difficult to get me to leave this area. I do not like city life at all...long commutes, traffic, no parking, high cost of living, fast pace of life, etc. People probably pay more to rent a parking space in NYC or Boston than they do a nice apartment around here.

As I'm into ourdoorsy stuff and snow, I hope to one day move up to one of the weenie spots at 2K in the northern Berks or S VT. I really like the VT route 9 area between Bennington and Brattleboro. Wilmington is a great little town and does well in the snow department on the east side of the spine above 1.5K. They easily average around 125" a year up there considering I average around 75" a year.

A lot of people probably consider having to drive 30 minutes to get to a town of 40k pretty rural. Its all about personal taste when it comes to these types of discussions. I'd probably be willing to live in a place like Florida, MA in 20 years. If I had enough money to retire, I might consider it right now.

I like Boston too much to live very far from there (I also work in Boston at the moment which certainly adds to not living too far) in the foreseeable future.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ORH_wxman" data-cid="1977198" data-time="1357142063"><p>

A lot of people probably consider having to drive 30 minutes to get to a town of 40k pretty rural. Its all about personal taste when it comes to these types of discussions. I'd probably be willing to live in a place like Florida, MA in 20 years. If I had enough money to retire, I might consider it right now.<br />

<br />

I like Boston too much to live very far from there (I also work in Boston at the moment which certainly adds to not living too far) in the foreseeable future.</p></blockquote>Why don't you look for a house now up in N Orh cty in Princeton or something? With cheap home prices now you could get a steal in a real weenie spot

East slope is where it's at... since most here prefer synoptic snows over the persistent CAA upslope 1-3s being east of the spine ensures maxing out on the biggies and also is protected to some extent from WAA in redeveloping secondaries.   And for the most part you're 15 minutes from Northampton, etc., and Rt. 91 with a straight shot to VTah. 

Now, Noho ain't Boston of course, but there's more than enough delicious food, music, and talent around.  I grew up in EMass, Dirty Dot then the burbs, and relocating out here is one of the best decisions I've made.  With the possible exception of Cape Cod, no way I'd consider moving back under any circumstances.  It's hard to let go to that culture I know.  But hell, if you're jonesing for some smog or a baseball game, you can be in the city in 2 hrs, and even NYC in 3.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CoastalWx" data-cid="1976558" data-time="1357088028"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="HubbDave" data-cid="1976553" data-time="1357087846"><p><br />

It.would be awesome to live in Boston or NY...but only if I had $$$$$$$</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Come to the hot dot. The big bucks are reserved for downtown for sure.</p></blockquote>

There is literally lists at real estate places here with names on it in line for housing... its amazing

A lot of people probably consider having to drive 30 minutes to get to a town of 40k pretty rural.

30 minutes?  How about 90 to get to a place with 40,000? 

Burlington to the NW and Concord, NH to the SE are the two closest....and we're roughly equidistant from both.

It's really not that bad...in fact, I prefer it.  I grew up here, so it's what I know.  There are only 29,000 in the whole county I live in...and one stop light to boot.  :pimp:

For the life of me, I don't understand how people can live all piled up on top of each other, but to each their own.  I'm glad they go, because otherwise, they might be out here.  ;)

Yeah that's true lol.

I wouldn't mind milder temps with the possibility of a huge 20" paste bomb and hurricane force gusts from a nor'easter once or twice a winter than non-stop upslope flakes.

What' I've always thought is that the perfect set-up would be a 4000ft spine where the ORH Hills are.

Close enough to the ocean to get the big crush bombs, and could also reap NW cyclonic flow upslope. 

Can you imagine the easterly flow upslope, too?  That would be a sick snow set-up.

A lot of people probably consider having to drive 30 minutes to get to a town of 40k pretty rural. Its all about personal taste when it comes to these types of discussions. I'd probably be willing to live in a place like Florida, MA in 20 years. If I had enough money to retire, I might consider it right now.

I like Boston too much to live very far from there (I also work in Boston at the moment which certainly adds to not living too far) in the foreseeable future.

If you are going to retire and pick a weenie spot, you can do better than Florida, MA. 

At least move into NNE somewhere, unless you really are set on sticking within our weather bounds of what is termed "SNE."

Spots in NH/ME where you can be in BOS just as fast as you can be from the northern Berks. Even up here I can be on I-89 in 20 minutes and then its a straight shot down to 93. 

I mean, you can now get high speed internet in some ridiculous weenie spots at like 2,000ft in rural VT and I'm sure its the same in NH/ME.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="klw" data-cid="1977407" data-time="1357148374"><p>

I can't see how Jaffrey and a number of the places being discussed fall into the definition of Southern New England unless we are looking at only a North/ South split and not a N/C/S NE split.</p></blockquote>Yeah even though SNH is included as SNE I think SNE begins at the NH/ Mass border

If you are going to retire and pick a weenie spot, you can do better than Florida, MA. 

At least move into NNE somewhere, unless you really are set on sticking within our weather bounds of what is termed "SNE."

Spots in NH/ME where you can be in BOS just as fast as you can be from the northern Berks. Even up here I can be on I-89 in 20 minutes and then its a straight shot down to 93. 

I mean, you can now get high speed internet in some ridiculous weenie spots at like 2,000ft in rural VT and I'm sure its the same in NH/ME.

I was keeping the discussion to SNE geography. But I agree, if I was going to bother to move there, I would just move more north into the mountains of SW ME

30 minutes?  How about 90 to get to a place with 40,000? 

Burlington to the NW and Concord, NH to the SE are the two closest....and we're roughly equidistant from both.

It's really not that bad...in fact, I prefer it.  I grew up here, so it's what I know.  There are only 29,000 in the whole county I live in...and one stop light to boot.  :pimp:

For the life of me, I don't understand how people can live all piled up on top of each other, but to each their own.  I'm glad they go, because otherwise, they might be out here.  ;)

Well when I lived in RI I had a 13 mile commute to get to Providence.  It sometimes took over an hour.  Up here I will typically cover 60 miles in the first hour away from the house and my 13 mile commute takes 20- 22 minutes everyday (unless I get stuck behind that Honda which likes to do 35 in a 50, in which case it takes 25 but is far more annoying.)

I'm going to derail this thread to NNE for a minute... but in my opinion the most weenie spot you're going to find for both upslope/synoptic/elevation events/snow retention, etc is the community up at the base of Bolton Valley.  I know 4-5 co-workers who live up there for the snow, and commute to Stowe (about a 40 minute drive).  There's a neighborhood of homes, condos, apartments up there on Thatcher and Wentworth Roads, as well as on the Access Road, where those folks average a legit 250" of snow on their front lawns. 

I've been up there to their houses before when there's been like a legit 60" snow depth on their decks and front lawns.  It looks like Santa's Village up there with the snow sometimes.  Not to mention the trees are usually rimed up because the community is up in the clouds during storms. 

You can be in downtown Burlington in like 40 minutes or less...BTV airport in just over a half hour...Best Buy/Walmart/every chain restaurant you can think of in Williston in like 25 minutes.  Its essentially a bedroom community for BTV at 2,100ft.  I remember at UVM there were a lot of upper classmen who lived up there, grad students, etc.  They have a neat little community. 

Just think of the weather you could witness living above 2,000ft literally on the Green Mountain Spine.  It can snow up there in September and May pretty regularly, so you have a ridiculous snow season... and in the summer, your temps are always at least 10F colder than they are at BTV.

The only downfall, is your "driveway" (the Access Road) is a 2,000 vertical foot hill... does a number on your car going up and down that everyday.  But you get to drive through like three climate zones before you get home.  And you can sit on your front porch and watch the sunset over the Adirondacks, while getting some of the most intense T-storms, wind events, snowstorms (like several legit blizzard condition storms per season), upslope, synoptic, etc.

I highly doubt there is a place in New England with more than a couple hundred year round residents, that averages more snow than the Bolton community... legit 250" with over 300" on the 3-3.5ft elevations in the backyard to the east.

Archived