joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Best snow locations in SNE

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're talking SNE then give me anything 1300-1500ft from northern ORH county to the Monads. And yes, I also consider Cheshire and Hillsborough counties as SNE.

There is a house about a half mile (maybe a mile?) from me at 1250'... is that close? lol

I would head to Jaffrey/Rindge/Dublin/Peterborough

Great area

Peterborough is such a funky little.town. we sometimes xc ski in New Ipswich

In theory, I'd love to live in your area or Princeton etc. As I get older, I find myself liking the country more and more. When I go down to the in-laws or my parents..it's like going to a foreign place. Living in a city most of my life, you appreciate things like safety, nicer people, and trees. I've had my fill of ***holes.

If we're talking SNE then give me anything 1300-1500ft from northern ORH county to the Monads. And yes, I also consider Cheshire and Hillsborough counties as SNE.

If we are counting SNH and Monads, then SVT has to be as well, no? I'd pick like Woodford or Readsboro, in SVT for the higher elevation (those towns are at like 2,000ft) and the combo of upslope/dying lake effect and synoptic bombs.

I vote for a cabin in the Taconics right along the MA-NY border, just southwest of Williamstown.  With a N-S oriented ridgeline around 2500ft, the area rings out a lot of lake enhanced moisture and has no shadowing with an extended fetch of the Hudson Valley to the west.  The Greylock State Reservation to the east loses out on some moisture to this ridgeline.  The high Taconics also do well in synoptic events with a pretty clear fetch from the east and northeast for some upslope component.

Easy drive to VT ski resorts, towns like Adams and Williamstown, and Cities like Pittsfield and Albany.

I vote for a cabin in the Taconics right along the MA-NY border, just southwest of Williamstown.  With a N-S oriented ridgeline around 2500ft, the area rings out a lot of lake enhanced moisture and has no shadowing with an extended fetch of the Hudson Valley to the west.  The Greylock State Reservation to the east loses out on some moisture to this ridgeline.  The high Taconics also do well in synoptic events with a pretty clear fetch from the east and northeast for some upslope component.

Easy drive to VT ski resorts, towns like Adams and Williamstown, and Cities like Pittsfield and Albany.

While this is probably a good spot, nobody actually lives in the Taconics at that elevation as they're too steep and have narrow ridgetops, both of which are unsuitable for building.

An easterly flow off of the Berkshires and Greens to the east during a synoptic event may actually rob the Taconics of some low level moisture. As such, they probably do a bit better than the Taconics overall even though the Taconics do better with the W to NW flow stuff. Regardless, I don't think there is a big difference between 2.5K in the Taconics vs. the Berkshires.

Some people actually do live at 2.5K in the Berkshires though. This topo map is a closeup of Florida, MA just east of North Adams. This spot probably averages 130" a year.

post-48-0-28447500-1357269663_thumb.png

While this is probably a good spot, nobody actually lives in the Taconics at that elevation as they're too steep and have narrow ridgetops, both of which are unsuitable for building.

An easterly flow off of the Berkshires and Greens to the east during a synoptic event may actually rob the Taconics of some low level moisture. As such, they probably do a bit better than the Taconics overall even though the Taconics do better with the W to NW flow stuff. Regardless, I don't think there is a big difference between 2.5K in the Taconics vs. the Berkshires.

Some people actually do live at 2.5K in the Berkshires though. This topo map is a closeup of Florida, MA just east of North Adams. This spot probably averages 130" a year.

yeah it doesn't get better than tilda hill rd off of rt.2 in florida, ma .. at 2.5k with optimal location for orographic enhancement in nor'easters and upslope for les

You're right, there are very few manmade structures in the Taconics, especially in the most rugged spots.  But there are some cabins and small resorts, for example just north of Hancock, and especially on the NY side.  But generally an impractical place to live.

From extensive hiking in the area (I live just across the border in NYS), I have consistently found the deepest snow right along the border just south of the Taconic-Mohawk trail.  Typically deeper than any spot in the Greylock forest or along the Berks into SVT.  I have always figured it had something to do with the topographical orientation of the Taconics.  But I suppose you'd have to put snowstakes out there and monitor for several years to know for sure where the most snow falls.

If there is something I've learned, it's that long commutes aren't worth it. The quality of life sucks. I'll probably be at my place of employment for a little while anyways so the thought of moving north is there, but then it's a disaster commute for the wife. Fam and friends are on the s-shore, so I'll probably move a bit closer to there.

Having lived on the SShore for 27 years (long time ago though) you may not get all the snow we get inland all the time, but having been there in 1969 and 1978 I can state that when it snows, IT SNOWS!

Fl mass ave 130! Wow. I wonder what the summit of greylock averages?

Not sure exactly. If I had to guess, maybe 150" or so at the summit, which is 3,491'. The town in Adams in the valley at 800' is only about 70" per year, but gets decent snowpack retention since they're in the shadow of Mt. Greylock well before sunset.

I'd like to know what Heath, MA averages.  It seems like almost every time I'm up there in the winter it's -sn. 

I think Heath is around 90-95" a year at 1,500', maybe 100" per year closer to 1,800'.

Archived