• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Best snow locations in SNE

Damage In Tolland

This is a subject that is always debatable, and some years it can vary depending on storm track.

But if you average out over time this is how I would rank them

1) ORH north up to S NH..always in the right place at the right time no matter what..great for pack retention

2) Berks down to Far NW CT..usually do very well on SWFE..and many times rack it up on coastals.. and can cash in upslope and lake effect at times...also great at pack retention

3) NE CT thru N RI over to about Foxboro...maybe I 'm partial to the area because I live in it, but it's a sneaky good spot for snow..Far enough inland to not have great worry over warmth from the hideous Atlantic...elevated enough to snow in marginal events,,and far enough east to cash in on coastals. retention isn't as good as the top 2, but it's better than most other places in SNE.

Again, I'm sure other folks have different opinions or ideas...so I'd be curious to hear then

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For pure highest snowfall totals...its the spine of the Berkshires up by the Vermont border. That areas prob gets 120-130" per year for places you can actually reach. (the peaks where nobody lives get more). They can get big time upslope snowfalls there as well as Nor' Easter snows and also get upslope enhancement....that's the beauty of being on the spine...upslope from both directions.

For pure highest snowfall totals...its the spine of the Berkshires up by the Vermont border. That areas prob gets 120-130" per year for places you can actually reach. (the peaks where nobody lives get more). They can get big time upslope snowfalls there as well as Nor' Easter snows and also get upslope enhancement....that's the beauty of being on the spine...upslope from both directions.

Yeah but it's not really where anyone lives. I guess you have to factor in lifestyle too to some degree. And to me and you snowpack is huge. It seems some folks don't care about it..Ryan likes it to snow and then be gone and in the 50's the next day. i don't understand that mentality at all. If you want that..move to DC or somewhere in North Carolina

My personal favorite would prob be up around Princeton or Westminster...right near Rt 2 or 140 there...quick acess to 190 and can be in BOS within an hour. If I can be in BOS within an hour and still have really great snow pack retention and avg 75-77" per year, that's my winner.

If I didn't care about quick access to the city, then I'd just pick the flat out snowiest spot...which is near Florida/Savoy...on one of those 2500 foot ridges.

That's awesome, I'd kill to live there. It's pretty cool how I can drive 40 miles and the average snow more than doubles.

Great place to live.  I now live in Ellington and while it is a great town, I greatly miss the winters of Norfolk.  I work at UConn and driving back and forth to Norfolk is just too far (65 miles each way), I did it for a year and a half.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ORH_wxman" data-cid="1976118" data-time="1357069053"><p>

For pure highest snowfall totals...its the spine of the Berkshires up by the Vermont border. That areas prob gets 120-130" per year for places you can actually reach. (the peaks where nobody lives get more). They can get big time upslope snowfalls there as well as Nor' Easter snows and also get upslope enhancement....that's the beauty of being on the spine...upslope from both directions.</p></blockquote>

Amen to that. Yeah no brained that the best spot is the furthest northwest at the highest elevation.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="forkyfork" data-cid="1976167" data-time="1357071736"><p>

upslope snow is fake, like les<br />

<br />

the best place for snow in the contiguous US is northern maine since it's all synoptic</p></blockquote>

This is true...but like last year proved, upslope fake snow is much better than no snow. We had two months in last years abortion with over 12" of snow on the ground under 1000ft elevation. That wouldn't have been possible without upslope. It may be fake but it looks white and feels like snow.

Think of it like an insurance policy in poor winters.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="forkyfork" data-cid="1976167" data-time="1357071736"><p>

upslope snow is fake, like les<br />

<br />

the best place for snow in the contiguous US is northern maine since it's all synoptic</p></blockquote>

This is true...but like last year proved, upslope fake snow is much better than no snow. We had two months in last years abortion with over 12" of snow on the ground under 1000ft elevation. That wouldn't have been possible without upslope. It may be fake but it looks white and feels like snow.

Think of it like an insurance policy in poor winters.

Well even CAR last year had like 2 months worth of 12"+ snow depth...even despite the horrific torch in March. That place is sick.

Archived