• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Best snow locations in SNE

Damage In Tolland

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="forkyfork" data-cid="1976167" data-time="1357071736"><p>

upslope snow is fake, like les<br />

<br />

the best place for snow in the contiguous US is northern maine since it's all synoptic</p></blockquote>

This is true...but like last year proved, upslope fake snow is much better than no snow. We had two months in last years abortion with over 12" of snow on the ground under 1000ft elevation. That wouldn't have been possible without upslope. It may be fake but it looks white and feels like snow.

Think of it like an insurance policy in poor winters.

Plus the upslope favored regions of VT/MA can cash in big time on synoptic storms storm too, unlike some of the LES areas. So its a double bonus.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Connecticut Appleman" data-cid="1976306" data-time="1357076509"><p>

Great place to live. I now live in Ellington and while it is a great town, I greatly miss the winters of Norfolk. I work at UConn and driving back and forth to Norfolk is just too far (65 miles each way), I did it for a year and a half.</p></blockquote>

What do you do? I go to uconn at storrs

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Connecticut Appleman" data-cid="1976306" data-time="1357076509"><p>

Great place to live. I now live in Ellington and while it is a great town, I greatly miss the winters of Norfolk. I work at UConn and driving back and forth to Norfolk is just too far (65 miles each way), I did it for a year and a half.</p></blockquote>

What do you do? I go to uconn at storrs

I'm the Executive Program Director at the Connecticut Transportation Institute (on the Depot Campus) and I specialize in asphalt pavement research.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ORH_wxman" data-cid="1976375" data-time="1357079117"><p>

Well even CAR last year had like 2 months worth of 12"+ snow depth...even despite the horrific torch in March. That place is sick.</p></blockquote>

Yeah I've been up there...Fort Kent is actually a really nice town, nicer than CAR in my view.

However you SNE guys think VT and the Berks are in the middle of no where...CAR is wayyyyyy out there.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Connecticut Appleman" data-cid="1976428" data-time="1357081986"><p>

I'm the Executive Program Director at the Connecticut Transportation Institute (on the Depot Campus) and I specialize in asphalt pavement research.</p></blockquote>

Ever work with Dr. Robbins?

Are you referring to Gary Robbins?  If so, then i took a class with him many years ago and my wife got her masters degree from her.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Connecticut Appleman" data-cid="1976438" data-time="1357082450"><p>

Are you referring to Gary Robbins? If so, then i took a class with him many years ago and my wife got her masters degree from her.</p></blockquote>

Yeah, if I go back to get my masters he will be my advisor, great teacher. Groundwater guru.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Connecticut Appleman" data-cid="1976438" data-time="1357082450"><p>

Are you referring to Gary Robbins? If so, then i took a class with him many years ago and my wife got her masters degree from her.</p></blockquote>

Yeah, if I go back to get my masters he will be my advisor, great teacher. Groundwater guru.

If you have a chance to take the Glacial morphology course with Thorson - I highly recommend it.  It is amazing what can happen when a whole bunch of snow flakes gang up together over the course of years.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Connecticut Appleman" data-cid="1976460" data-time="1357083590"><p>

If you have a chance to take the Glacial morphology course with Thorson - I highly recommend it. It is amazing what can happen when a whole bunch of snow flakes gang up together over the course of years.</p></blockquote>

Ive taken all of Thors courses! He's great. Probably going to ask him for a letter of rec

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CoastalWx" data-cid="1976323" data-time="1357077257"><p>

The Princeton area is great. Don't forget you can shoot down rt 2 to places like Lexington and Waltham where there are tons of good bars and restaurants. I would live there if I could.</p></blockquote>

hi neighbor

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CoastalWx" data-cid="1976323" data-time="1357077257"><p>

The Princeton area is great. Don't forget you can shoot down rt 2 to places like Lexington and Waltham where there are tons of good bars and restaurants. I would live there if I could.</p></blockquote>

hi neighbor

Maybe someday, but commute isn't worth it. If anything...I may move a bit south. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CoastalWx" data-cid="1976507" data-time="1357085631"><p>

Maybe someday, but commute isn't worth it. If anything...I may move a bit south.</p></blockquote>

In the past I have had to work in Cambridge...2 hour commutes each way stink. I much prefer my 25-30 minute one. On weekends, I can be in downtown BOS in 70 minutes, ORH in 30

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="CoastalWx" data-cid="1976507" data-time="1357085631"><p>

Maybe someday, but commute isn't worth it. If anything...I may move a bit south.</p></blockquote>

In the past I have had to work in Cambridge...2 hour commutes each way stink. I much prefer my 25-30 minute one. On weekends, I can be in downtown BOS in 70 minutes, ORH in 30

If there is something I've learned, it's that long commutes aren't worth it. The quality of life sucks. I'll probably be at my place of employment for a little while anyways so the thought of moving north is there, but then it's a disaster commute for the wife. Fam and friends are on the s-shore, so I'll probably move a bit closer to there.

LOL, I don't know about the Applebees--might have to go down to Greenfield or Amherst for one of those.  Closest one to here is about 40 miles.

We need Pete.

And, a rough count gives me about 2300 people for the three towns I mentioned.

It's a beautiful area, but seems like a desolate place outside of Northhampton. I mean at least in VT you have the ski towns that have great places and a good vibe...probably decent schools too I would imagine. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ChrisM" data-cid="1976546" data-time="1357087485"><p>

Next time I drive 5 miles down the road ill be grateful it takes 10 minutes and not 2 hours...there will also be snow otg which is difference #2.</p></blockquote>

Yes living in a world class city is awful.

Archived