EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea i hear stories that flurries cause panic at the grocery stores lol.

and edit: looks like Feb 2004 was the most recent big storm for CLT, esp Monroe county. hopefully i bring this with me very soon:

That is an understatement  :lol:    I moved to Charlotte the winter of 87-88 from Ohio and got to experience what happens when the south gets 12" of snow. To this day the memories make me giggle.  Welcome to the se :D 

I'm relocating to Concord, NC just NE of Charlotte in a few weeks. My wife hates SNE winters, i can do without the suppressive arctic cold but the 2 foot blizzards....I will surely miss. Ive been researching the biggest snowstorms for SW NC with the most recent one being in 2000. Its nice to know that 6"+ events occur a couple times a decade. and considering the city of CLT does not have snowplows, a 10"+ storm which seems to occur a few times every 25yrs (correct?) is relatively similar to a 24"+ storm in SNE. when the SNE crowd complains about super cold and dry, the southeast folks rejoice. I will have to get used to that.

a severe -AO is a major component and obv a suppressive 50/50L. can SW NC get big events from a +PNA though? seems like shortwaves that dive down from Canada into the deep south tend to then gain latitude a bit too far to the W, usually just E of the mountains. seems like the best storms tend to happen in el nino winters with extremely negative AO and NAO.....but with a -PNA. is that generally the best pattern?

sorry for the off topic banter i guess but i didnt want to start a selfish new thread....and oh yea, hello southeast people!

Welcome to North Carolina! There is something for everyone here in our beautiful state. For good winter weather, snow and outdoor winter sports, just head 80 miles NW and 5000' up into the mountains.

2009-10 and 2010-11 were cold/snowy winters, but last winter was a bust for snow-lovers. The table below shows snow totals on Beech Mountain North Carolina locations for the past three winters.

Winter

Beech Mountain

2009-10

134”

2010-11

136”

2011-12

49”

In Charlotte, snow is a very rare event, usually just one 6" snow every 5 years and 1 major snow every decade. Everything else are usually novelty events. Still, big ones like you found in 2004 can happen when the needle gets threaded just right! There used to be more snows in the Charlotte area back in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully that cyclical pattern will again return.

Word of caution: When it does snow down there, 95% of the drivers are not skilled and untrained for driving during winter road conditions.

Also be sure and buy a house with adequately sized air conditioning. Summers are oppresively hot and humid and you will be running air conditioning 10 months out of the year and even in January during warm patterns like we are in now.

Hey all! Pattern Flip a' coming. Finally got my WX station up. Fantastic location. WX Cam coming...and it should be a great view of Uptown Charlotte, NC.

One Question. Searched every which-way-but-loose but can't seem to add my WX Stations Sticker (weather underground) to my profile/signature.

Any link?

TIA!

Welcome to North Carolina! There is something for everyone here in our beautiful state. For good winter weather, snow and outdoor winter sports, just head 80 miles NW and 5000' up into the mountains.

Also be sure and buy a house with adequately sized air conditioning. Summers are oppresively hot and humid and you will be running air conditioning 10 months out of the year and even in January during warm patterns like we are in now.

Really?  You run it that often in Charlotte?  I realize I am slightly NW of you, but Hickory has much the same climate as does Charlotte.  I turn on the A/C in May, and I turn it off at the beginning of October.  That's 5 months at my place.  We use windows and fans to enjoy the great outdoor temps in spring and fall.  My wife would shoot me if I ever thought of turning on the A/C in January.  Why do I need the A/C for inside if it's 70 F, at the most, outside?

Maybe that's just our family, though.  To each his own, I suppose.  But there's no way I want to pay that kind of power bill!!

Oh, and welcome to the SE, ruNNaWayIcEberG.  It's a pretty decent place to live if you can deal with June, July, and August.

In Charlotte, snow is a very rare event, usually just one 6" snow every 5 years and 1 major snow every decade. Everything else are usually novelty events. Still, big ones like you found in 2004 can happen when the needle gets threaded just right! There used to be more snows in the Charlotte area back in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully that cyclical pattern will again return.

Word of caution: When it does snow down there, 95% of the drivers are not skilled and untrained for driving during winter road conditions.

its great to know a 2hr drive W accomplishes my skiing fix and a 3hr drive SE gets to the ocean. im super sensitive to heat/humid so this will take a while to get used to. my job will just have get used to me sweating around the clock lol. just dont send me on lunch runs cuz in between the building AC and my car AC, it takes a good 15sec for the sweat to occur. im 175lbs too its not like im lugging around much weight.

winter will most certainly be boring but give me a 6" every 5 years and i will have my fix.

my wife and I love the state, I enjoy the changing landscapes from the SE to the NW....one thing we were concerned about was the racial gap/tension (we are an interracial couple) but so far in and around charlotte we havent felt uncomfortable. we have noticed though that in gaston, lincoln, and iredell counties, we get the looks. but whatever.

its great to know a 2hr drive W accomplishes my skiing fix and a 3hr drive SE gets to the ocean. im super sensitive to heat/humid so this will take a while to get used to. my job will just have get used to me sweating around the clock lol. just dont send me on lunch runs cuz in between the building AC and my car AC, it takes a good 15sec for the sweat to occur. im 175lbs too its not like im lugging around much weight.

winter will most certainly be boring but give me a 6" every 5 years and i will have my fix.

my wife and I love the state, I enjoy the changing landscapes from the SE to the NW....one thing we were concerned about was the racial gap/tension (we are an interracial couple) but so far in and around charlotte we havent felt uncomfortable. we have noticed though that in gaston, lincoln, and iredell counties, we get the looks. but whatever.

I too am in an interracial relationship and I really get any problems, you will get used to the looks.

Welcome to the board. We call ourselves "Sutherners" and we are producers of icestorms, hurricanes and tornadoes.

Really?  You run it that often in Charlotte?  I realize I am slightly NW of you, but Hickory has much the same climate as does Hickory.  I turn on the A/C in May, and I turn it off at the beginning of October.  That's 5 months at my place.  We use windows and fans to enjoy the great outdoor temps in spring and fall.  My wife would shoot me if I ever thought of turning on the A/C in January.  Why do I need the A/C for inside if it's 70 F, at the most, outside?

Maybe that's just our family, though.  To each his own, I suppose.  But there's no way I want to pay that kind of power bill!!

Oh, and welcome to the SE, ruNNaWayIcEberG.  It's a pretty decent place to live if you can stay deal with June, July, and August.

the past decade, the NE isnt that dissimilar. but i understand the hot spells are constant in the SE.  just have to carry a personal AC.

I'm relocating to Concord, NC just NE of Charlotte in a few weeks. My wife hates SNE winters, i can do without the suppressive arctic cold but the 2 foot blizzards....I will surely miss. Ive been researching the biggest snowstorms for SW NC with the most recent one being in 2000. Its nice to know that 6"+ events occur a couple times a decade. and considering the city of CLT does not have snowplows, a 10"+ storm which seems to occur a few times every 25yrs (correct?) is relatively similar to a 24"+ storm in SNE. when the SNE crowd complains about super cold and dry, the southeast folks rejoice. I will have to get used to that.

a severe -AO is a major component and obv a suppressive 50/50L. can SW NC get big events from a +PNA though? seems like shortwaves that dive down from Canada into the deep south tend to then gain latitude a bit too far to the W, usually just E of the mountains. seems like the best storms tend to happen in el nino winters with extremely negative AO and NAO.....but with a -PNA. is that generally the best pattern?

sorry for the off topic banter i guess but i didnt want to start a selfish new thread....and oh yea, hello southeast people!

Welcome to the SE!!!

Well it is kind of the country over there. Welcome to Charlotte! If you need to know the best spots to eat just ask. 

That tasted so good! Howell was ridiculous!

That was some game! I hate to say it, but that was about as complete of a game on a big stage as I have seen the Pack play in a long, long time. Howell went into berserk mode in the 2nd half. Really well done all around.

Edited for atroshus speelign.

That was some game! I hate to say it, but that was about as complete of a game on a big stage as I have seen the Pack play in a long, long time. Howell went into bazerk mode in the 2nd half. Really well done all around.

I'm a big Duke fan, but I'll give NCSU their props.  Duke couldn't have lost to a better team.  Howell and Leslie were both quite impressive.  Not having Kelly hurt the Blue Devils down low, but I thought Henderson and Hairston did a decent job attempting to replace him, especially in the first half when Duke got pretty much every rebound.

Maybe this is crazy, but I think it's good for Duke to experience a loss at this point in the season so that they know how bad it hurts.  Hopefully, they will grow from it and discover that they don't want to feel that way again.  Plus, Duke will not be nearly as dangerous if Kelly, and perhaps now Curry, remain hurt for any length of time.

In other news, it seems that UNC does have a basketball team this year.  I was beginning to doubt whether they did or not.  Has www.fireroywilliams.com become an active site yet?  :devilsmiley:   But, they managed to avoid the 0-3 start today by squeaking one out versus FSU.  Sorry, oconeewxman.  I was pullin' for your 'Noles.

I'm a big Duke fan, but I'll give NCSU their props. Duke couldn't have lost to a better team. Howell and Leslie were both quite impressive. Not having Kelly hurt the Blue Devils down low, but I thought Henderson and Hairston did a decent job attempting to replace him, especially in the first half when Duke got pretty much every rebound.

Maybe this is crazy, but I think it's good for Duke to experience a loss at this point in the season so that they know how bad it hurts. Hopefully, they will grow from it and discover that they don't want to feel that way again. Plus, Duke will not be nearly as dangerous if Kelly, and perhaps now Curry, remain hurt for any length of time.

In other news, it seems that UNC does have a basketball team this year. I was beginning to doubt whether they did or not. Has www.fireroywilliams.com become an active site yet? :devilsmiley: But, they managed to avoid the 0-3 start today by squeaking one out versus FSU. Sorry, oconeewxman. I was pullin' for your 'Noles.

Duke is a very good team and like you said, not having Kelly hurt. I thought Jefferson played a really good first half. He had some freshman fouls, but he's gonna be good. It's a shame he didn't come to State. :)

This was their first real road test too. K is a great coach and is able to use these kinds of games to his advantage. I'll be glad when he retires. :D.

Ol Roy oughtta sound a little more upbeat in his interviews now since he got him a W. He sounded frippin depressed the other day dadggumit.

I'm a big Duke fan, but I'll give NCSU their props.  Duke couldn't have lost to a better team.  Howell and Leslie were both quite impressive.  Not having Kelly hurt the Blue Devils down low, but I thought Henderson and Hairston did a decent job attempting to replace him, especially in the first half when Duke got pretty much every rebound.

Maybe this is crazy, but I think it's good for Duke to experience a loss at this point in the season so that they know how bad it hurts.  Hopefully, they will grow from it and discover that they don't want to feel that way again.  Plus, Duke will not be nearly as dangerous if Kelly, and perhaps now Curry, remain hurt for any length of time.

In other news, it seems that UNC does have a basketball team this year.  I was beginning to doubt whether they did or not.  Has www.fireroywilliams.com become an active site yet?  :devilsmiley:   But, they managed to avoid the 0-3 start today by squeaking one out versus FSU.  Sorry, oconeewxman.  I was pullin' for your 'Noles.

All we can ask for is to have State, Carolina and Duke all knocking the crap out of each other for the remainder of the season.

I second the motion on the good losses. State has been uber focused since they got pounded by OSU.

My boys are looking good. But I fear a let down at MD.

Jimmy V is smiling.

If the cold modeled out in fantasy land doesn't deliver I predict mass weenie suicide by cliff diving. The unfortunate reality is we have seen this before. I'm hopeful but refuse to get played for the 1000th time by LR modeling. Until it works into the 192 and sooner range its possible its a mirage and Lucy will yank up the football.

If the cold modeled out in fantasy land doesn't deliver I predict mass weenie suicide by cliff diving. The unfortunate reality is we have seen this before. I'm hopeful but refuse to get played for the 1000th time by LR modeling. Until it works into the 192 and sooner range its possible its a mirage and Lucy will yank up the football.

This is so far beyond the 1000 other times, but I get where you are coming from.

Hate to disagree with you but NO we have not seen this look before by the GFS. Not in two years. There is a chance it might not happen but the GFS has not shown wall to all arctic cold in the LR with a seriously plausible reason behind the wall to wall cold. It's always show transient shots of arctic air with little to back it up. I seriously can not understand why folks on here are saying, "it showed us this before". 

Hate to disagree with you but NO we have not seen this look before by the GFS. Not in two years. There is a chance it might not happen but the GFS has not shown wall to all arctic cold in the LR with a seriously plausible reason behind the wall to wall cold. It's always show transient shots of arctic air with little to back it up. I seriously can not understand why folks on here are saying, "it showed us this before".

Wall to wall? Brrrrr....this is a seasonal LOL....

I am joking with you burger, I agree it will get cold, not sure when and we don't know if it will hold, just as frustrated with lack of snow as anyone :-(

18zgfsensemble850mbTSLPUS312.gif

I'm with Marietta.  At this point I am interested but not excited.  Plenty of time for that. Don't forget the cold but no moisture option is also on the table and that would not excite me at all.

Mass weenie suicide will happen if everyone outside the mts doesn't see any winter precip before the end of March  :lol: 

I'll agree this has been the best look we've had in quite awhile :D 

just wanted to say that I'm watching an NFL playoff game in shorts with the doors and windows open.  God, I love the south!!!

Hush you........Football should be watched in sweatpants next to a roaring fire with a cold drink in your hand :P 

Marietta,

I fully understand your skepticism. There's definitely good enough reason to be skeptical until proven otherwise. Also, it is good for the BB to have people taking both sides based on scientific/statistical reasoning. I've been one of the leading skeptics since early Dec., which was not well received by some (the messenger got wounded at times lol), but I didn't let that stop me from posting. The cold bias has been horrible. Way back in October, two GFS runs had KATL down to an Oct. record tying 28 F. Well, KATL has still yet to get below 30 F!! Even now, despite the 11-15 day GFS consistently bringing solid cold to the Midwest/NE, it has been wavering between a little below normal with no big cold shot and solid cold with some embedded frigid air down in the SE. So, the jury is still out as to whether or not it will get real cold in the SE during the last part of January.

However, even though I said I wasn't yet buying the -19 C 850's for KATL that one GFS run had, I have already made a post stating I do think that the cold is at least believable based on a combo of the GFS being much more consistent with strong cold at least down into the Midwest/NE, the Euro and even its ensembles doing something similar, the last three Euro weeklies being chilly starting 1/21, the current SSW (although I still am not sure it should be categorized as major just yet..it is getting close regardless), and the warm Dec. analogs which say winter would start at some point between ~1/20 and early March. The GFS/Euro suites combo has yet to be this consistent. So, for the first time, I at least have a good bit of hope.

Folks,

I had a fantastic walk in shorts and a t-shirt...ahhhh, the advantages of living in the south in winter. I love warm interludes between exciting cold blasts.

Mass weenie suicide will happen if everyone outside the mts doesn't see any winter precip before the end of March   :lol:

I'll agree this has been the best look we've had in quite awhile :D

Hush you........Football should be watched in sweatpants next to a roaring fire with a cold drink in your hand :P

did that my entire life.  Enjoying the change of pace.

John Fox is a terrible coach, feel bad for Manning

Sounds like this quote comes from a fellow Panthers fan, packbacker.  Bitter still?  Yeah, me too.  My *favorite* John Fox play is the draw on 3rd and 15.  That's a classic Foxian play call.  But, it's hard to beat the QB kneeldown with 30 seconds and two timeouts.  Huh?  What?

Archived