EWR757
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing above but not reaching the ground

Oh and dry slot. Both famous sayings in SE

Virga and dry slot are famous everywhere.  Every storm has a dry slot and try getting snow when precip is attempting to moisten the column at 10F.  In the PDII (2003), we had virga for 12 hours before the snow reached the ground.  it was 7F outside.  Very painful to watch that radar.  Once it hit though, it was whiteout for the next 18 hours.  Sometimes you just have to wait it out, and sometimes you need that virga to to cool the column to even get snow in marginal situations.

Virga and dry slot are famous everywhere.  Every storm has a dry slot and try getting snow when precip is attempting to moisten the column at 10F.  In the PDII (2003), we had virga for 12 hours before the snow reached the ground.  it was 7F outside.  Very painful to watch that radar.  Once it hit though, it was whiteout for the next 18 hours.  Sometimes you just have to wait it out, and sometimes you need that virga to to cool the column to even get snow in marginal situations.

I know what it means and what causes it.  Several were posting quotes you hear in a winter in the SE

Yeah, I'm sitting there watching football in shorts and a tee shirt, with the fan on, in the depths of winter.  Hard to beat that for suckatude!  And if we get an arctic blast with no moisture, it will just compound things.  I'm hoping for a bit below normal, and a return of the southern stream energy.  I'm not seeing much heavy rain these days.  And raggedy cold fronts dragging though won't get it. 'cause no matter how cold the air, it rarely is fast enough the catch the rain unicorns :) T

:lol: I've said all along, I'll take my chances with normal temps and precip. The problem is by the time the moisture gets close, it runs into those darn portals and dries up....sigh.  It would be a sweet change of pace to see the southern stream ramp up just a tad and that pesky ridge to be displaced to my south.  ^_^

already have lol. my wife and I enjoy diff cultures, etc...so the first meals we had when we looked at CLT was grits for bfast and chicken for lunch. but nothing like home cooking so im pretty stoked to wake up to eggs, grits, and biscuits every morning.

You haven't had southern fried chicken until you go to Price's off of South Blvd. trust me it's worth the trip into CLT. 

You haven't had southern fried chicken until you go to Price's off of South Blvd. trust me it's worth the trip into CLT.

And right after that, you should go immediately to Bojangle's and get a quarter dark and a sweet tea and wash all that down with a gravy biscuit...and if you have any room left, top it off with a Boberry biscuit. You won't be disappointed.

Do you ever understand a post? It's like it breezes right over you.

I would like to have COLD - no one listens to Brick, and you seem to want to speak for everyone. I want COLD. Effing arctic frigid COLD. Whether it snows or not. I don't want an insect population 100 times the size of China's again this year. Speak for yourself.

Well if there is any truth to cold killing insects for the following spring and summer (which I have heard isn't true) then china ought to be bug free later this year...........haha

Archived