Newest Member
    joxey
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you expand on that?

Well, I didn't live here for any of them, but 77 is a notoriously cold Jan into part of Feb, 1985 has one of the greatest outbreaks of arctic air ever, and Jan of 1996 saw a huge east coast blizzard and an arctic out break near the end of the month.

Someone with more local knowledge can give the local details of those years.

fwiw, today's Euro weeklies that come out every Monday pretty much suck for the entire month

just our luck....the CFS2 finally predicts a BN winter month, 2/10 was the last one I think, and if fails miserably

obviously the whole month is in front of us but the medium and longer range tools don't look so hot, or maybe they do and that's the problem

fwiw, today's Euro weeklies that come out every Monday pretty much suck for the entire month

just our luck....the CFS2 finally predicts a BN winter month, 2/10 was the last one I think, and if fails miserably

obviously the whole month is in front of us but the medium and longer range tools don't look so hot, or maybe they do and that's the problem

The fact that the long range tools don't look good may be a good thing. I've seen nothing to make me think they're reliable.

cfs2 is brutally cold week 3_4

Models figured once PNA moved toward neutral and MJO got supposedly favorable that ti was a slam dunk for cold and stormy. Figured wrong.

There really is No magic ingredient. Too much reliance on EPO, PNA, AO, NAO, gets you bad results like these. Historical performance analogs will always trump but most people just don't have a "library" of that so they model hug and index worship.

Models figured once PNA moved toward neutral and MJO got supposedly favorable that ti was a slam dunk for cold and stormy. Figured wrong.

There really is No magic ingredient. Too much reliance on EPO, PNA, AO, NAO, gets you bad results like these. Historical performance analogs will always trump but most people just don't have a "library" of that so they model hug and index worship.

Most of the skilled forecasters were skeptical all along--

The D+11 superens mean pattern continues to look warm with low heights extending across much of Canada southward into the U.S and above normal heights for us. That usually means our temps will average above normal for that 5 day period. That product has had a warm look for the past seveal days. The D+10 Euro also has a warm look so to me the 1st half of January looks to have below normal snow chances. The pattern is basically not good and suggests lows will track to our north. This year the dominant pattern over the U.S. has looked nina-like even though we are not in a nina. I'll be doing an article for CWg tomorrow so I'll update my thoughts and actually show some figures. Today, I'm being lazy.

The D+11 superens mean pattern continues to look warm with low heights extending across much of Canada southward into the U.S and above normal heights for us. That usually means our temps will average above normal for that 5 day period. That product has had a warm look for the past seveal days. The D+10 Euro also has a warm look so to me the 1st half of January looks to have below normal snow chances. The pattern is basically not good and suggests lows will track to our north. This year the dominant pattern over the U.S. has looked nina-like even though we are not in a nina. I'll be doing an article for CWg tomorrow so I'll update my thoughts and actually show some figures. Today, I'm being lazy.

how about you take some time off and not post again until the pattern is better. This is just depressing. Go fishing or something

All ot that seems to mean nothing, perhaps we are just in a warmer climate now.

Archived