Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

:huh:

I said "fwiw"

I was talking about the model predictions as a whole. I see some claims they are good but not sure anyone has data to back that up. Or if they are like short term hi res models and ofteb show every possible scenario but we remember mostly when it was right.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dry is our greatest enemy. The only signal I'll watch for on the models is storminess. Give us enough precip chances, some will be frozen.

And.........I wouldn't sweat anything models are throwing out past 5-7 days. I think everyone already knows that, just made me feel better to say it.

I think we will have to wait until mid-January at this point for any real hope. I wouldn't be surprised if all if not most of January is a done deal, with a few 1" or car toppers in the mix. Would anybody be surprised at a one month winter here? I hope not.

I'd be surprised with a one month winter as we don't get winter anymore.

I think we will have to wait until mid-January at this point for any real hope. I wouldn't be surprised if all if not most of January is a done deal, with a few 1" or car toppers in the mix. Would anybody be surprised at a one month winter here? I hope not.

Heck, I'd be ecstatic with even a one-month winter here.

It is like we have an extended fall now with the hope of an occasional winterlike 2 or 3 day stretches to interrupt the new climo norm. Maybe if we get lucky we sneek in 2 or 3 of these slightly colder 2 or 3 day periods for a grand total of maybe 9 days that resemble winter in an entire season. The rest of the days during the remainder of the calendar year are Spring, summer, and fall by any objective temperature or ptype metric.

I think we've had 1 day this season with a 32F high. I believe that would've been a -6 departure. We had days and days of consectuive +10s. How we've managed a White Christmas and a week's worth of snow cover is almost mind-boggling.

Everyone is talking up how cold it was last night etc... but it was around normal or above normal. Good sign it's never cold anymore.

Well the next week will be at least seasonal more or less. The following week above seasonal. We are heading into our coldest 4 weeks from a climatological perspective. If it doesnt get frigid then it is not likely to get frigid at all. Our real hope for pond freezing cold rests in the last two weeks, because if it doesn't come then it wont come at all. The snow weenie dreams at least will live for another 4 weeks in February because after that its a battle with sun angle. Our window is now about 6 weeks.

Archived