EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December Mid-Long Range Discussion

Deck Pic

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro looked really nice to close out the year for temps. Other guidance looks similar. See a ridge out West pop all the way into BC with plenty of cold to tap is a pretty classic look for cold.

I'm retiring from focusing on storms in the lr this year. At least until we get a +pna and some sort of hl blocking. I can deal with suppression. Storms tracking to the west are the worst. My storm sucks. I knew it once my name got put on it. My rep took a major beating. Time to shut up for a while...LOL

The 0Z Euro ensemble looked okay for 12/30. The operational looked just like the 12/27 storm - good for chicago. Obviously there is a lot of spread on the 12/29-12/30 event still, but there is a chance that we have a better 50/50 low in place at 12/29, so it bares watching.

Not to my eyes, it has the primary tracking to TN/KY and at 144 hrs has the 850 temps above freezing. It looks very similar to the Boxing day storm in terms of evolution.

Next weekend looks good enough for now. Surface and 850's cold enough and not dealing with a hybrid on this run.

TBH- I'm rooting for a less amped overunning scenario right now. Glancing at 5h looks like another week of big jumps in solutions. This run looks less volatile than the lame ass chill storm but we all know this run and many future ones aren't right.

Euro looks like at least some borderline potential for overrunning early in sys d10.. probably implies light mix/snow to rain.. for now. The bowling ball out west is pretty far north all along. Looks like it wants to lift into a cutter late already. West coast ridge at least. :P

euro ftw

Next weekend looks good enough for now. Surface and 850's cold enough and not dealing with a hybrid on this run.

TBH- I'm rooting for a less amped overunning scenario right now. Glancing at 5h looks like another week of big jumps in solutions. This run looks less volatile than the lame ass chill storm but we all know this run and many future ones aren't right.

LOL at the "lame ass chill storm". Nice to see someone who knows what he is talking about laugh at himself. Not that you need to kick yourself for the "Chill" storm.

But I have to agree that jumps in the modeled 5H are going to drive us all crazy this week. Very active atmosphere right now and from my perspective the models have some difficulty assessing the outcome from day to day, as we have seen recently. At the surface and 850 the 29/30 storm looks good. I think it looks better than anything to date from this range. Fortunately it doesn't look perfect because we all know that what we see 7 days in advance is NOT what will be. It's going to be fun to follow. I hope. :popcorn:

Dec 29-30 storm right where we want it 6z gfs, get some overrunning regardless but coastal goes just offshore.

I think the potential with the 29-30 storm will all be dependent on what the previous storm does. Right now the models are showing it becoming a 50/50 low but with how the models have been handling the Chill storm one has to wonder if the 50/50 will actually be there when we need it.

Euro has monster event for Boston NYC ...they get 10-12 we get 3-4:(

The evolution on the models for the dec 29 system reminds me a lot of the jan 2005 storm. Enough of a trough into the lakes to keep the coastal from wrapping up quick. Would be a thump snow then dry slot. Nj north east would have a chance at a lot more. I like early jan for a chance at a big event for us.

Too much trough in the lakes still might capture the southern stream. If it stays weak we have a chance for snow, if not it ends up like the Boxing day storm. I think it's about a 50% percent shot at either being right. I've also never liked trough extending towards teh lakes but time will tell whether that is important or not. The Boxing day storm needs to provide the block to keep the low south of us.

Archived