EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December Mid-Long Range Discussion

Deck Pic

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would the appropriate response be it is just the 06z? Hasn't it shown up consistently on all the other runs? The 12z will be telling... :)

Yep, the 12Z will be telling. Next Saturdays 12Z that is. :D

That storm is so far off it is hard for me to get excited one way or the other on each run. But it is nice to see a fairly strong signal for it as well as many Mets talking up the possibility. Hopefully come next weekend we are all discussing how much as opposed to where did it go.

The CPC D+11 ensemble mean still shows a pretty nice pattern. Note how similar it looks to a composite of good dc snow year composite. The ensembles are now starting to support a positive PNA pattern with a ridge poking up into western NA. That's a welcome change as a positive PNA has a pretty strong correlation with cooler than normal temps across us especially with a negative AO.

post-70-0-76691300-1356190620_thumb.gif

Both the D+8 and D+11 show similar patterns so I'll only post the latter. It still looks pretty similar to the one I posted Monday when I noted that it had several nice snowy analogs. This one also has several, two being 4 inch or greater storms and one being a double digit one. Note that the image has ridging over western Canada but still has hints of troughing over the southwest suggesting split flow and that there will be some southern stream energy. That doesn't mean we will get a storm or even that any storm that comes east is a lock to track to our south but it does raise the possibility of winter weather over what it has been and over normal climo.

post-70-0-82895600-1356190975_thumb.gif

dosent look like UKMET or GGEM moved from their 00z position. GFS is outlier right now it appears

Actually I think they both changed to jumpers instead of coast crawlers...I'm thinking that's a bad sign. I'm about to bail on this one...only was thinking some sleet anyway but now my final call is dry slot and less than .10 of pure rain...lol

Just kidding...I don't know and never have..we will see I suppose...euro should be interesting

Models in winter are usually quite good with onset of mild or cold regimes. Not good with low pressure placements 5+ days out. Even though it's not of much use I would not dispair over Jan 3rd temps being shown as high of 18 and low of 5 on 0z to high of 40 and low of 28 on 12z-that's just what models do this far out; cover all the bases so that a hit can be claimed come verification time and thus the funding keeps rolling in.

Models in winter are usually quite good with onset of mild or cold regimes. Not good with low pressure placements 5+ days out. Even though it's not of much use I would not dispair over Jan 3rd temps being shown as high of 18 and low of 5 on 0z to high of 40 and low of 28 on 12z-that's just what models do this far out; cover all the bases so that a hit can be claimed come verification time and thus the funding keeps rolling in.

That isn't how the models are designed....

That isn't how the models are designed....

It's what they do, years of results speak for themself.

Moving a low 500 miles in 12 hours, changing temperatures 30 degrees in 12 hours. Models do not show what is the statistically most likely outcome, they show all the variables that might happen and that is such a wide array as to be unuseful.

Moving a low 500 miles in 12 hours, changing temperatures 30 degrees in 12 hours. Models do not show what is the statistically most likely outcome, they show all the variables that might happen and that is such a wide array as to be unuseful.

Yeah like the track of sandy days in advance was not useful. Some patterns are very unpredictable. That's why you use ensemble guidance and probabilities. The ensembles have consistently said not to jump too quickly onto a single deterministic forecast with this storm. Other storms like the feb 5, 2010 event you can be pretty sure days ahead of the storm. I think we've had this discussion before and never have resolved our different views.

Part of being a meteorologist is not just looking at models exactly. It's looking at them and then taking in their biases, seeing if the current pattern supports it, comparing it to analogs, etc. We knew 1 thing with this storm. If there was no confluence there would be nothing stopping it from going inland.

You could also realize based on model biases that the GFS is almost always surpressed 3-5 days before an KU.

Archived