• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December Mid-Long Range Discussion

Deck Pic

Based on what everbody in amwx is talking about I would think the odds favor more than a couple inches but I won't be pissed. I had basically nothing last year. Not even much cold or much to track. We ave 2 very real events to track and potentially a pretty nice cold shot coming down the road. We should be thrilled regardless.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what everbody in amwx is talking about I would think the odds favor more than a couple inches but I won't be pissed. I had basically nothing last year. Not even much cold or much to track. We ave 2 very real events to track and potentially a pretty nice cold shot coming down the road. We should be thrilled regardless.

Me too Bob. Just happy to have something to talk about. As for the mid week storm, I think it's likely a sig storm, but whether that's snow or freezing rain, I wouldn't say. I think the low level cold will be there, at least that's what it looks like. If we were to have snow on Christmas eve, I just think that would be awesome, regardless of how much.

Are people going to be pissed if we emerge from this pattern in 2 weeks and we only have a couple inches to show from it? I won't.

I won't be disappointed. Long-term Dec avg here is 4.9" and seasonal avg is 6.2" through 12/31.

Anything toward that total will be appreciated.

It always seems like a steep climb to get to the 26.1" climo calls for. But in 6 winters here, I've averaged 26.3" Did it the hard way though, with three of those winters being 5.1," 8.5" and 15.1"

I don't expect much, but if we can somehow come out of the next 2 weeks with a few wintry events I'll be happy....it would be nice to get 5-8" area wide before we thaw, but we could also strike out

the early jan storm is booked and words are marked. #rockinjanuary

Or we could never technically thaw right? This is likely to be an -ao dominated winter. Even periods of relaxation there can be offset by other factors. It's really just a hunch and nobody should read into it more than a hunch but I wonder if we are normal or chilly for an extended period. Some of the large scale nh circulation features are changing. Both Russia and alaska are set to warm. That giant pool of cold air doesn't vanish. It moves and moderates.

...I think it too early to get date specific with 12/29-1/2 period...maybe it is one event...maybe 2 separate events...but looks good for something to happen that weekend into early week

Yeah the period after the Boxing Day storm looks pretty interesting overall. Models have been consistent that we will be colder with a potentially more conducive set of tracks at least. Climo ftw. :D

Or we could never technically thaw right? This is likely to be an -ao dominated winter. Even periods of relaxation there can be offset by other factors. It's really just a hunch and nobody should read into it more than a hunch but I wonder if we are normal or chilly for an extended period. Some of the large scale nh circulation features are changing. Both Russia and alaska are set to warm. That giant pool of cold air doesn't vanish. It moves and moderates.

true...at least we have stuff to track for a while now....GFS 12/29 threat looks very much like the last 2 euro runs...weak and disorganized....but it helped set up the new years monster....I think all we can say is there is a threat (s) 12/28 - 1/3...after that I don't know,

I agree

hate to bring up that model, but the CFS2 has been really, really good so far this winter once we're within 45 days and it is looking impressive; and it's supported to a great degree by other long range models and medium range models

in short, if it can be as good predicting cold as it has been predicting the warmth of DEC, this will end up a decent winter

this weenie is hoping it can

Perhaps we are transitioning from warm and wet cold and dry warm and wet cold and dry to weak wave and cold to coastal bomb and colder, weak wave and cool coastal bomb and colder... Who knows with all these short waves what is going to come next. All I can say at this point is that we are going to have an extremely active storm track in the best climo period of the year. Couldn't ask for much more.

Archived